U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
28,395 posts, read 48,154,368 times
Reputation: 20039

Advertisements

Windows 7 is now the world's most popular desktop operating system, according to the August report from Net Applications.

In August, Windows 7 had a 42.76% market share, a fraction of a point more than Windows XP's 42.52%. Windows XP was released in 2001.

Finally! Windows XP no longer most popular desktop system - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2012, 06:02 PM
 
1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times
Reputation: 966
Windows XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft after 2014. I am going to stick with XP until then. I also have too many additional software programs installed that would be a hassle to re-install should I upgrade now. Also, I do not like windows 8. I just do not like the "desktop" features and the fact that there is no start button. So I will just stick with XP as long as I can. After XP expires, I think I will just upgrade to Windows 7 for awhile, unless Windows 9 is better (for whenever it comes out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Windows XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft after 2014. I am going to stick with XP until then. I also have too many additional software programs installed that would be a hassle to re-install should I upgrade now. Also, I do not like windows 8. I just do not like the "desktop" features and the fact that there is no start button. So I will just stick with XP as long as I can. After XP expires, I think I will just upgrade to Windows 7 for awhile, unless Windows 9 is better (for whenever it comes out).
Have you tried Windows 8 yourself? A lot of people are just jumping on the media bandwagon and saying it is bad. But the Windows 8 experience is actually pretty good. While it doesn't have a traditional start menu, the new UI is just as good if not better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,395,649 times
Reputation: 14342
Ever new version of Windows has been said to "suck" before it came out. With the exception of ME, they have not (for the most part).

Also what is the point of "finally"? Are there people out there really frustrated that someone is still using XP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Reputation: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Also what is the point of "finally"? Are there people out there really frustrated that someone is still using XP?
Only those that have to continue to support it.

I for one will be glad when EOL happens, so that I don' have to continue to worry about supporting it with our software, and use it when logging into client's sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,395,649 times
Reputation: 14342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Only those that have to continue to support it.

I for one will be glad when EOL happens, so that I don' have to continue to worry about supporting it with our software, and use it when logging into client's sites.
We've given up on it, if a client needs XP they have to pay to set up a virtual image and it is not supported by us. Most of the clients still using it are government ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Reputation: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
We've given up on it, if a client needs XP they have to pay to set up a virtual image and it is not supported by us. Most of the clients still using it are government ones.
We sell our product (a complete hardware / software solution) both directly, and through VARs, and we are seeing a pretty quick abandonment. Since we processes credit cards we won't support any OS that isn't being currently patched. Our clients and VARs know that the EOL is a hard line in the sand, and have known this since it was announced.

I'll probably reconfigure the installers to no longer support XP / Server 2003 at the end of the year. That will stop new installations and then we'll just have to deal with converting all of the existing clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,761,378 times
Reputation: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Have you tried Windows 8 yourself? A lot of people are just jumping on the media bandwagon and saying it is bad. But the Windows 8 experience is actually pretty good. While it doesn't have a traditional start menu, the new UI is just as good if not better.
I tried the release candidate version on a VM and hated it. It is meant for tablets, not desktops or laptops. For example, I wanted to open a PDF file in Acrobat Reader (I know there's better PDF readers out there, that's not the point). From the Metro screen, I click on desktop, open Firefox, download Acrobat, and install it. I open explorer, double click on the PDF file and the stupid, useless PDF Metro App opens up. If I'm on the desktop, I want to stay on the desktop when I click on a file to open a program. I don't want full-screen apps on my 23 inch 16:9 screen unless I'm watching a movie.

Want to open a program, but don't remember its name? You're screwed as there is no more cascading menus to find your way. If it isn't on the Metro screen, then you have to type its name. It even took my a while to find the shutdown menu.

For those interested in trying it, now is the time. You can get it here, straight from Microsoft, to try it for free before its release date. I suggest using VirtualBox or VMWare to try it without having to reinstall your current OS.
Download Windows 8 Release Preview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I tried the release candidate version on a VM and hated it. It is meant for tablets, not desktops or laptops. For example, I wanted to open a PDF file in Acrobat Reader (I know there's better PDF readers out there, that's not the point). From the Metro screen, I click on desktop, open Firefox, download Acrobat, and install it. I open explorer, double click on the PDF file and the stupid, useless PDF Metro App opens up. If I'm on the desktop, I want to stay on the desktop when I click on a file to open a program. I don't want full-screen apps on my 23 inch 16:9 screen unless I'm watching a movie.

Want to open a program, but don't remember its name? You're screwed as there is no more cascading menus to find your way. If it isn't on the Metro screen, then you have to type its name. It even took my a while to find the shutdown menu.

For those interested in trying it, now is the time. You can get it here, straight from Microsoft, to try it for free before its release date. I suggest using VirtualBox or VMWare to try it without having to reinstall your current OS.
Download Windows 8 Release Preview
If you're going to use it on VMWare, MAKE SURE YOU CAPTURE THE MOUSE! Metro is a horrible experience without capturing the mouse. Gestures don't work within VMWare otherwise. It's completely different experience than trying it directly on your computer.

Until a few days ago, I was using RC since it came out. It makes an excellent desktop/laptop OS. I have a touchscreen on my laptop, and the touch interface of Windows 8 is (currently) horrible. I don't know why anyone would want to use it on a tablet.

Your PDF scenario was user-error. First, on a desktop, metro UI is just a large start menu. You shouldn't be using it as your primary Windows 8 interface. Stick to explorer on a desktop. Second, when you install Acrobat Reader, you should no longer leave the Metro app as the default program for PDFs. The Metro apps suck, and if you want the best experience, avoid using them.

As for finding an app that you don't recall the name... you can just go to "all apps" which functions similarly to "all programs" on previous versions of windows. For the design process around this and the shut-down, I suggest you read Chapters 2 and 3 of About Face: http://www.amazon.com/About-Face-Ess.../dp/0470084111 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,761,378 times
Reputation: 1648
Everything that I did was on the desktop screen (open Firefox, install Acrobat, and double-click on the file on Explorer). I was under the impression that the desktop and Metro worked parallel to each other. If I clicked on the IE Metro tile, I get the Metro app. If I click the the IE icon on the desktop, I get the usual IE on a window. So I was surprised when I clicked on a PDF file, on Explorer, on the desktop and it opened the PDF Metro app.

I just took a few screenshots:
Screenshot 1: Explorer with a PDF and a saved web page.
Screenshot 2: If I click on the saved web page, it opens IE on a window on the desktop, as you would expect. So far, so good...
Screenshot 3: IE crashed.
Screenshot 4: I clicked on the PDF. Metro App opens
Screenshot 5: PDF on the Metro Reader App. As you can see, there isn't much functionality in it other than looking at the PDF. You can't even print from it.

You could right-click on the PDF and select Acrobat to open it, or change the defaults, but this worked out of the box on every Windows version before 8. I can definitely see many support calls from non-technical users trying to print a PDF. One interesting thing is that when I clicked on the HTML file, it asked me whether I wanted to open it in IE or Firefox, with a checkbox to make it default. But when I clicked on the PDF, it didn't ask, just went straight to the Metro app.
Attached Thumbnails
News, Finally! Windows XP no longer most popular desktop system.-screenshot1.jpg   News, Finally! Windows XP no longer most popular desktop system.-screenshot2.jpg   News, Finally! Windows XP no longer most popular desktop system.-screenshot3.jpg   News, Finally! Windows XP no longer most popular desktop system.-screenshot4.jpg   News, Finally! Windows XP no longer most popular desktop system.-screenshot5.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top