U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM

203 posts, read 414,285 times

Advertisements

Okay. Yes I've searched the forum, done many google searches, tried various things, even directed by Chrome help itself.

I run Chrome on a Sony Vaio laptop that has Vista. (yes, I know alone sucks).

I also know that Chrome comes with flash already part of the deal. But, Chrome's flashplayer constantly crashes.

So I downloaded directly from Adobe the flashplayer. I know that this will most likely cause a conflict between Chrome's flash and my flash so I went to plugins and disabled Chrome's version and enabled mine.

I also removed old versions of Acrobat Reader, Java, Adobe everything, and reinstalled directly from the sites.

Now all I get is "Flashplayer is not responding" and it keeps thinking about it. 5 out of 10 times the flash plugin crashes.

Help. I play a lot of games, I'm not that computer savvy, in fact I'm a 46 year old female who is doing her best at figuring this out and I just want to stab my eyes out. I know my computer is probably old, outdated, and has a full memory..but damn..all I want to do is play a simple game.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM

26,894 posts, read 38,142,724 times
Is there a newer version of the plugin for Chrome?

Edit: https://productforums.google.com/for...me/GraEX5bE0Ho

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 09-04-2012 at 02:20 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM

33,585 posts, read 51,786,623 times
Yeah, it just sucks in Chrome. Mine was crashing constantly.
There is a fix: you need to go to your extensions and check if you have 2 files of Shockwave/Flash and disable one. ( expand your extensions to see details)
Make sure you disable the one located in Chrome’s AppData folder and not the separate stand-alone Flash installation. Delete the "C:\users..." file and leave the "C:\windows..." file.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM

I'll check my laptop when I get off work, thanks. I did go to the Chrome://plugins and disabled the Chrome Flashplayer and enabled my own.
Where do I find the Chrome Appdata folder?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM

33,585 posts, read 51,786,623 times
Type about: plugins - (no space) in your address bar
you will see a list of all plugins installed in your computer, the shockwave will have 2 folders
click on + ( right top corner of the screen) to expand the shockwave folders again

disable the one where is says

and leave the one where it says
enabled

Close that window and restart your computer. It should fix your problem, but... it it doesn't
then restart computer and browse Chrome in incognito window and see if you still experience flash crashes.

If... hmmm... if your flash still crashes, then you need to re-install your Chrome browser.
Save your settings - do you use Speed Dial2 with the dial style bookmarks? - there is an option to save all your customized settings so you can import them into your new Chrome.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM

thank you. I ended so frustrated last night that I just uninstalled chrome then reinstalled it. There I opened the extensions (it wouldn't let me on the version I uninstalled?) and did what you said. Enabled one and disabled the other. Everything seems to be ok for now. I'm thinking I had a corrupt user profile or something.

I may be back for more help, LOL. I wasn't able to spend much time last actually playing my stupid game because of all the time spent doing the other.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Adoptstrays; 09-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: typo's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or