Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
My Nephew has his Desktop hooked up to a huge High Def TV/Monitor. Spending eight hours a day with a sixty inch monitor sure beats looking at a small 17 inch screen. As soon as my 27 inch monitor goes down I am going to replace it with at least a 40 inch screen. I would go larger but my office is only 15 feet x 15 feet so any larger than 40" would be a waste.

GL2
You can use large monitors/TVs with laptops as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,595,800 times
Quote:
A laptop can be secured. Sure, a desktop is less convenient to lift from your home, but if someone makes it into your home, you probably have bigger things to worry about. The chances of theft from inside the home is generally really small.
When you bring it places, it will not be secured until you secure it. In other words, the possibilities for breaking are definitely still there whenever you move it. People get laptops so they can bring it to the library or to Starbucks...a desktop will guarantee that you do not do that.

Quote:
Generally true, but for most users the difference in speed and memory will not matter. The W530 is capable of 32GB of RAM, two SSDs/HDs and is quad core. A faster desktop is available, but this configuration will meet the needs of those who demand relatively high power.
Yes, although I am not a power user or expert, I do prefer faster computers, especially for my family video editings. Hence, it is still more affordable to have the better memory and speed in a desktop.

Quote:
The desktop has a laptop beat in terms of expansion. However, most people don't need a significant amount of expansion and both laptops and desktops are so cheap now that I figure I can just upgrade more often.
What is "most" people? I understand that more people are plugging in things into their USB ports, get hardware to convert older technologies or are looking at equipment that they wonder if it could plug into their computer. When I buy expansions, I have a wider range and number of different ports, so I usually do not have to worry about this. I can usually get whatever expansion for whatever decent price is available because I already usually have the ports. Some form of converter for whatever few ports a laptop has is not a concern for me. One quick story...My uncle has a digital camera. He told me when he bought over some pictures, he wasn't sure if it could be plugged into my computer! He was always a laptop person and forgot about this is not a concern for us! So I actually felt a little spoiled with all my options available that he did not have with with laptop. Yes, a laptop will have the most important ports, but some lesser used options (that I may actually need) and the actual number of ports is limited. With a laptop, I would have to get more equipment just to plug more things in...with a desktop, I just plug-in-away! LOL!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
You can use large monitors/TVs with laptops as well.
True, but you would have to separately hook them up. For less tech-savvy people like myself, it is better and easier to just use the computer's screen.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
We have already decided to give my Mother my current desktop when she tells us she wants it. After that we will be replacing both of our laptops and minis with something Mac but I'm not sure which one yet. We are also in the transition phase of getting rid of all printing, copying, faxing devices we have that are color and moving to black only, wireless connected printer, copier. We have a stand alone scanner that I use daily, it is on my desk and I love it, we both also have an iPad and iPhones but still want the portability of the laptop when we travel and need more than what the iPad can offer productivity wise.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Tablet PCs are tablets and they are available in more powerful configurations than Ultrabooks. So not all tablets are "toys".
A "tablet PC" is really just a laptop with a flip-around touch screen. Say the word tablet to 100 people. 90 of them will think iPad, 9 will think of an Android based iPad-like device, 1 will think of a tablet PC.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
When you bring it places, it will not be secured until you secure it. In other words, the possibilities for breaking are definitely still there whenever you move it. People get laptops so they can bring it to the library or to Starbucks...a desktop will guarantee that you do not do that.

Yes, although I am not a power user or expert, I do prefer faster computers, especially for my family video editings. Hence, it is still more affordable to have the better memory and speed in a desktop.

What is "most" people? I understand that more people are plugging in things into their USB ports, get hardware to convert older technologies or are looking at equipment that they wonder if it could plug into their computer. When I buy expansions, I have a wider range and number of different ports, so I usually do not have to worry about this. I can usually get whatever expansion for whatever decent price is available because I already usually have the ports. Some form of converter for whatever few ports a laptop has is not a concern for me. One quick story...My uncle has a digital camera. He told me when he bought over some pictures, he wasn't sure if it could be plugged into my computer! He was always a laptop person and forgot about this is not a concern for us! So I actually felt a little spoiled with all my options available that he did not have with with laptop. Yes, a laptop will have the most important ports, but some lesser used options (that I may actually need) and the actual number of ports is limited. With a laptop, I would have to get more equipment just to plug more things in...with a desktop, I just plug-in-away! LOL!
Clearly, choosing between a laptop, desktop or even a tablet depends on your needs and intended use. If you look at the sales of laptops vs desktops, you will see that many people prefer a laptop and that the value added with a desktop is outweighed by the value added by a laptop. The question is... how important are those uncommon ports (typically older ports) vs how important is mobility? There's no one "must be it" solution.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
True, but you would have to separately hook them up. For less tech-savvy people like myself, it is better and easier to just use the computer's screen.
It's the same way you hook up a monitor to a desktop. If you can do one, you can do the other. A docking station makes it much easier.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
A "tablet PC" is really just a laptop with a flip-around touch screen.
Not always. Tablet PCs don't all have physical keyboards and are available in slate form factors. Either way, they are tablets and they are fairly powerful.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
It's the same way you hook up a monitor to a desktop. If you can do one, you can do the other. A docking station makes it much easier.
Your right. I concede on this point. I was thinking about my brother hooking the laptop up to his TV.

Quote:
Clearly, choosing between a laptop, desktop or even a tablet depends on your needs and intended use. If you look at the sales of laptops vs desktops, you will see that many people prefer a laptop and that the value added with a desktop is outweighed by the value added by a laptop. The question is... how important are those uncommon ports (typically older ports) vs how important is mobility? There's no one "must be it" solution.
OK. Also true. However, I was just trying to suggest that there are still many people out there that will prefer desktops, for us, desktops are better.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The point is that the technologies are converging, not that they're the same at present. I think in 5 years there won't be much difference. Apple has already started merging OSX and iOS. Microsoft is doing the same.
I think you have it wrong. Apple is lagging. Windows 8 is far closer to merging the user experience between tablets and traditional computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers