U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 PM
 
364 posts, read 462,240 times
Reputation: 120
Default Computer slow or not responding and getting stuck!!!

For the past several days these are the things that have been happening:

(1) when I try to close out a screen (little X at the top right corner) it does not close (like a dead link)
It doesn't matter if it's a website or my own notepad.

(2) when I right click on the top part of my browser window to move it to the side or down it does not always respond. OR when it does it leaves a trail of images.

(3) if the top right X does not respond I open "Task Manager" to end task, however sometimes when click on 'end task', it does not respond either and if I click on the X in that window to close it, it does not respond and then my mouse does not even work and I can't refresh or click on anything at all.

(4) sometimes when I click on a link of a website it is dead (no reaction) and will show the page is still loading but doesn't load completely, it just gets stuck.

(5) In fact, most everything I try to do it is slow to react (for example copy and paste, drag and drop etc etc)

I've used CCleaner, updated MSE and Malwarebytes. I've done a full complete scan with both MSE. and Malwarebytes. No threats were detected and No malicious items detected.

What can I do now?


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
5,130 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Reputation: 4080
Sorry to say it but I believe it is time for you to backup all your important data and look for your Windows Installation DVD!

When you open Task Manager, what do you see for "memory" and "cpu" usage? what are the processes that uses the highest for those two?
Note: Ignore the System Idle Process for CPU reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 PM
 
364 posts, read 462,240 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Sorry to say it but I believe it is time for you to backup all your important data and look for your Windows Installation DVD!.
why ? What could have happened to cause this ?
What about a restore to earlier date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
When you open Task Manager, what do you see for "memory" and "cpu" usage? what are the processes that uses the highest for those two?
Note: Ignore the System Idle Process for CPU reading.
Not sure what to look for..... Here is a screen shot of what it shows?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 AM
 
14,984 posts, read 8,156,932 times
Reputation: 6587
Bring the system up in safe mode with networking and do some surfing like you normally would.

Does it seem normal now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
 
18,732 posts, read 20,503,506 times
Reputation: 26287
How much RAM in the PC?

How much free space on your hard drive?

What programs are loading and running in the background? This can be checked using Ccleaner/Tools/Startup

Quite often this is the result of RAM being completely used and the function being shipped to the page file, which is much slower since the PC is accessing the disk instead of RAM and it is very much slower. If the hard drive is almost full it gets even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,368 posts, read 1,705,320 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
For the past several days these are the things that have been happening:

(1) when I try to close out a screen (little X at the top right corner) it does not close (like a dead link)
It doesn't matter if it's a website or my own notepad.

(2) when I right click on the top part of my browser window to move it to the side or down it does not always respond. OR when it does it leaves a trail of images.

(3) if the top right X does not respond I open "Task Manager" to end task, however sometimes when click on 'end task', it does not respond either and if I click on the X in that window to close it, it does not respond and then my mouse does not even work and I can't refresh or click on anything at all.

(4) sometimes when I click on a link of a website it is dead (no reaction) and will show the page is still loading but doesn't load completely, it just gets stuck.

(5) In fact, most everything I try to do it is slow to react (for example copy and paste, drag and drop etc etc)

I've used CCleaner, updated MSE and Malwarebytes. I've done a full complete scan with both MSE. and Malwarebytes. No threats were detected and No malicious items detected.

What can I do now?


.
How old is the pc, and what OS does it have, and which IE version is it using?
I have similar problems with my PC, you are not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
5,130 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Reputation: 4080
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
why ? What could have happened to cause this ?
What about a restore to earlier date?
- Always use simple/cheaper to more complicated/expensive approach in troubleshooting.
- If there are no certain clues, your initial goal should be to find out if this is a software or a hardware issue.

If it had been working just fine before and then it all of a sudden started doing this, then changes are there is either some sort of a malware (still) active on the system or there is a faulty/misbehaving application. This might be a device driver or a 3rd party app or a Windows program. Further diagnosis needed (hence my suggestion of checking the "Processes" tab in Task Manager or plwhit's Safe Mode suggestion, both of them is trying to figure out if this is caused by some sort of a software.

Have you installed any software prior to this issue? How about any updates including Windows?
What was the last application, device or action you used on the computer before this issue? How long have you had this issue? Does it happen all the time or occasionally?

Make sure hard drive is not out of "free" space as Tek mentioned. This simple culprit is often overlooked on especially older machines.

If Task Manager doesn't reflect any process sucking up all the CPU or Memory usage or is the system is still seemingly laggy in Safe Mode, then either the core system files are damaged or there is a hardware issue, which could be any of the following or something even more uncommon:
Hard Drive is going bad, RAM is going bad, HD, CPU or PSU is acting up (this is typically due to humidity build up, bloated or blown capacitors on the motherbaord, overheating or some other outside factor. Is the case, Power supply or any of the internal components seem like it is producing or do you feel hotter than normal air being blown by any of the fans? Is the case clean and free of dust? As asked by others, age of the computer is important as well disclosing any hardware upgrades you might have installed?

Quote:
Not sure what to look for..... Here is a screen shot of what it shows?
See above, you want to click on Processes tab instead of Performance and view the PCU and Memory columns. You can sort either one by clicking on the title of the column so it groups the higher figures from top to bottom.

You might also use a 3rd party up or MSConfig to see what is in the system startup. I don't recommend using MSconfig to modify the list but to view, it should be OK (Start > Run > msconfig > OK) or you can use the a free app like CCleaner > Tools > Startup to view the entries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 06:19 PM
 
364 posts, read 462,240 times
Reputation: 120
Sorry about the delay in getting back to respond. I've been busy saving files (what a pia)

This PC has really been doing some weird things.

I started it in "safe mode" but when I did, I lost my Internet Connection and when I tried to use my Printer there was no printer showing in the control panel. I had just used the printer this morning.

I turned on my other PC on the same Router. I was able to connect to the Internet with that PC.

As my files were being transferred to a USB drive the MSE 'little castle' turned from green to orange.

When I reached a stopping point, I removed the USB drive and tried to update MSE but it said it could not update because there was no Internet connection.

I was still in "safe mode" and was going to shut down the PC, but instead I did "restart" and it booted up again in regular mode. When it did, the MSE 'little castle' was green again.

I checked and I had Internet connection again.
Then I checked and the Printer was there in the control panel again.

What in the world is going on with this PC... ?

By the way...... in answer to the questions:
How much RAM in the PC? = 275 GB
How much free space on the hard drive? = 500 GB hard drive has 445 GB of free space.

When I open the Task Manager to see memory and cpu usage, there is a very long list of many things,
most of which I do not recognize and it keeps changing. It looks like RTHDCPL.EXE (23,144) and MsMpEng.exe (48,216) are the highest.

I haven't tried doing anything else yet. I just wanted to post a response to let y'll know I'm still working at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM
 
8,417 posts, read 7,415,119 times
Reputation: 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Sorry about the delay in getting back to respond. I've been busy saving files (what a pia)

This PC has really been doing some weird things.

I started it in "safe mode" but when I did, I lost my Internet Connection and when I tried to use my Printer there was no printer showing in the control panel. I had just used the printer this morning.

I turned on my other PC on the same Router. I was able to connect to the Internet with that PC.

As my files were being transferred to a USB drive the MSE 'little castle' turned from green to orange.

When I reached a stopping point, I removed the USB drive and tried to update MSE but it said it could not update because there was no Internet connection.

I was still in "safe mode" and was going to shut down the PC, but instead I did "restart" and it booted up again in regular mode. When it did, the MSE 'little castle' was green again.

I checked and I had Internet connection again.
Then I checked and the Printer was there in the control panel again.

What in the world is going on with this PC... ?

By the way...... in answer to the questions:
How much RAM in the PC? = 275 GB
How much free space on the hard drive? = 500 GB hard drive has 445 GB of free space.

When I open the Task Manager to see memory and cpu usage, there is a very long list of many things,
most of which I do not recognize and it keeps changing. It looks like RTHDCPL.EXE (23,144) and MsMpEng.exe (48,216) are the highest.

I haven't tried doing anything else yet. I just wanted to post a response to let y'll know I'm still working at it.
I won't be as much else as other posters will but I see a few things.

I'm gonna bet that you don't have 275 GB of ram. Maybe 2.75 GB. You should verify this.

You can Google any of the entries you see in Processes to determine what they are. Shut down as many of the unnecessary processes as you can.

Safe mode may not allow networking, meaning that is why you can't get to the internet. I think there is an option when you get to the safe mode option screen. Safe mode may also be why your printer didn't show, especially if it is a network printer.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM
 
364 posts, read 462,240 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I won't be as much else as other posters will but I see a few things.

I'm gonna bet that you don't have 275 GB of ram. Maybe 2.75 GB. You should verify this.
My mistake...... Yes.... 2.75 GB RAM is correct. I was typing fast and kind of frustrated. It's been a long day. Thank you for catching my error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top