Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I have also noticed some of the external drives come just with a USB cable that has two connectors at the end. I am not 100% certain but I believe these external closures also have 2.5" (laptop) drives in them.

Typically one connection should be enough but for whatever reason it cannot seem to provide ample juice through just one connection, then you can connect the secondary connection that should (presumably) help the drive work properly.

None of the USB3 drive enclosures seem to have this though. I guess adequate power transfer through USB3 is not an issue?
I also noticed the USB2 type external drives and memory stick to work a bit faster through USB3 ports on the machines.
USB 2.0 ports are supposed to put out 500ma. So if a port is a little on the low side or the device wants a little too much, the second connection can get it working. I have one of those cables that came with a USB DVD-RW. I also use it for a USB hard drive since they're both Mini-B. I think I've needed the second connector only one time and that was for the DVD-RW, not the hard drive.

I believe USB 3.0 is supposed to supply 900ma which is far enough from 500ma that the little hard drives aren't in much danger of overloading the port.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
For what its worth, how would you guys rate this?

Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 750 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (STBX750100): Computers & Accessories

Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
What's to rate? Just a run of the mill external hard drive, no more or less likely to fail at any given time than any other brand or model.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
I've been using Western Digital Elements 1 and 2TB disks for the last couple of years with no complaints.....

Just bought a 2TB drive off of Amazon for $116.00

More interested in space than speed, it's set up as a media server off my router...

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...d+elements+2tb

Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I just bought a new western digital passport. Got my old one in 2006 and it is still working.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
grannynancy you are indeed lucky having you ex work that long. I have given up on storing anything important on ex drives. Had two just bomb out on me. The first one I lost everything, client work. The second one I managed to get up and running but not recognized on the desktop, so I transferred everything off and made Cd's. Now if I use it at all its just to take work to another computer. Never again. ugh. When they stop working they just stop. No warning.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,317 times
I've had good luck with the WD external USB drives, and have five of them currently, 2tb each and they are quiet, reliable, and affordable. I've had WD drives in the past that are now defunct, and they lasted me about five years, which is pretty good for the price. Can't complain about WD drives.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
grannynancy you are indeed lucky having you ex work that long. I have given up on storing anything important on ex drives. Had two just bomb out on me. The first one I lost everything, client work. The second one I managed to get up and running but not recognized on the desktop, so I transferred everything off and made Cd's. Now if I use it at all its just to take work to another computer. Never again. ugh. When they stop working they just stop. No warning.
Not sure if you'll read this reply of mine but where do you like to store your files since you've given up on ex drives?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I purchased an iOmega (which I was told was manufactured by Samsung), off of one of those "Groupon" type promotions and it experienced a catastrophic failure less than two weeks after the warranty ran out. The data (500gb) could not be recovered.

My advice would be to use some cloud-based storage service rather than a hard drive. I was not happy with my experience, as you might well imagine.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
^^^^
this

from now on it's cloud based for me.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers