Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Same applies to the email client that comes with Windows 8. All other email clients of your choice still work. Who uses pop3 these days anyways? (I know ISPs such has comcast has these limitations but it should really be a thing of the past).
I use pop3. I have 6 E-mail accounts, including 3 Gmails, Verizon via Yahoo, Hotmail, and AOL, that I monitor and it is just easier to launch an E-mail client to retrieve all new messages and display them all on one screen rather than visit each site individually, log out and log in to check the different accounts, etc... . I have them configured to leave the messages on the server, so that I can access them through their web based interface if needed. If I'm traveling with the laptop, I can download all messages into it at home and read and respond to them offline when I'm not within Wi-Fi range. As soon as I get online, everything syncs.

I use Seamonkey, which integrates the web browser and E-mail client in one and is based on Firefox and Thunderbird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
When you have an open Exchange and IMAP4, why these services still stick to pop3 is beyond me.
I have 6 or 8 POP3 addresses (all hosted on servers I own or manage, with IMAP available), but I still use POP3.

The main thing for me is having all of that history on my machines, not on the servers. The servers are backed up frequently, but I have far better backups of my machines here.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Those apps are such a small (an rather useless) part of Windows 8. No one forces you to use them just like no one forces you to use Internet Explorer.

Same applies to the email client that comes with Windows 8. All other email clients of your choice still work. Who uses pop3 these days anyways? (I know ISPs such has comcast has these limitations but it should really be a thing of the past).
Yea, it makes my dual-core 17" laptop as useful as my smartphone, if I want to kill a few minutes playing minesweeper.

Seems that anytime someone points out a limitation or lame feature about anything, the only thing you have to offer is criticism toward that individual for your perception of why they use that app or protocol, or whatever.

I made two observations about Windows 8 to only be criticized for my choice of mail protocol and browser. Really dude because I never gave any indication about how I connect to mail servers or what browser I happen to be using, you just assumed, then criticized based solely on your assumptions.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I have other accounts such as Gmail but I still use POP3 almost exclusively.

I use a provider called Usermail. It costs 20 bucks a year.

I have had the same email address for almost 15 years.

They check the email for viruses. They filter out the spam – send you an email asking if they are not sure it is spam.

I can get my email on my home computer and also on my laptop or any other computer when I travel.

As I said, I have other email accounts, but I haven't found a good reason to use them for something as simple as email. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I use pop3. I have 6 E-mail accounts, including 3 Gmails, Verizon via Yahoo, Hotmail, and AOL, that I monitor and it is just easier to launch an E-mail client to retrieve all new messages and display them all on one screen rather than visit each site individually, log out and log in to check the different accounts, etc... . I have them configured to leave the messages on the server, so that I can access them through their web based interface if needed. If I'm traveling with the laptop, I can download all messages into it at home and read and respond to them offline when I'm not within Wi-Fi range. As soon as I get online, everything syncs.

I use Seamonkey, which integrates the web browser and E-mail client in one and is based on Firefox and Thunderbird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I have 6 or 8 POP3 addresses (all hosted on servers I own or manage, with IMAP available), but I still use POP3.

The main thing for me is having all of that history on my machines, not on the servers. The servers are backed up frequently, but I have far better backups of my machines here.
Fair enough. To argue that Windows 8 breaks your ability to go on and use pop3 is silly. You can use the EXACT SAME METHOD to access your pop3 email services in Windows 8 that you can in Windows 7. To consider the email client in Windows 8 a limitation makes no sense because you aren't limited to using the Windows 8 email client.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yea, it makes my dual-core 17" laptop as useful as my smartphone, if I want to kill a few minutes playing minesweeper.

Seems that anytime someone points out a limitation or lame feature about anything, the only thing you have to offer is criticism toward that individual for your perception of why they use that app or protocol, or whatever.

I made two observations about Windows 8 to only be criticized for my choice of mail protocol and browser. Really dude because I never gave any indication about how I connect to mail servers or what browser I happen to be using, you just assumed, then criticized based solely on your assumptions.
You missed the point entirely. Windows 8 doesn't limit you from using pop3. Your choice to use the Windows 8 email app limits you from using pop3. If you used the same client that you used in Windows 7, then you'd still be able to use pop3.

If you choose to switch to a client that disables you from using services that you desire, that's your own problem.

Also, don't take my words about the usage of deprecated technology personally. The industry is still trying to mitigate the gap between history and technology.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
If you used the same client that you used in Windows 7, then you'd still be able to use pop3.
Which of course relies on being able to download a product (WLM) from Microsoft, who is already backing away from it. Will we be able to download it in a year? Who knows.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Which of course relies on being able to download a product (WLM) from Microsoft, who is already backing away from it. Will we be able to download it in a year? Who knows.
Microsoft has ended that product. Similar to how Netscape has ended Communicator. All products have a lifecycle. Outlook and many other modern products will continue to support pop3.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Microsoft has ended that product. Similar to how Netscape has ended Communicator. All products have a lifecycle. Outlook and many other modern products will continue to support pop3.
So they've taken functionality away from the email client that's either included with Windows or freely downloadable for 15 years. People are going to be really upset to find out that not only can't their new PC access their email account, it can't import the 5 years worth of saved messages from their old PC. Microsoft had always been about backwards compatibility and not throwing users and features under the bus with every new and "improved" version. With friends like Sinofsky, Microsoft doesn't need enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers