Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times

Advertisements

Yea, that was kind of a shot at Ubuntu.

HARDWARE MANAGER then?
DEVICE CENTER
DEVICE SETUP
HARDWARE CONFIG

I can think of 5 other names Ubuntu could use. As I said I am a "techie" It never occured to me to check the SOFTWARE CENTER for drivers.
KEEP IT SIMPLE. Some OS'es get it.

Again for the record I like Linux. But it's not ready for prime time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
Even if you can make the argument that it's somehow easier to install programs on a Linux distro compared to Windows or OSX, there's still the downfall of hardware compatibility.

I had a cheap Canon printer that I wanted to print from but I had to follow a trail of sites that lead me to installing a Canon driver from Canon's Chinese website. After I installed that driver the printer worked fine.

Granted this was 2 years ago when I was using Ubuntu daily.

Also there was a problem where there wasn't support for certain Lexmark printers, but I'm pretty sure that's been fixed already.

But I refuse to believe that it is easier to install things than Windows or OSX; it isn't. Dependencies and all of that just makes everything more confusing for the average user. Plus Windows and OSX hides all of that stuff to appear less daunting.

Sure if you have half a brain, a little bit of will and can search Google and figure things out, but in the end people just want things that work, and that they are familiar with, and a newer Windows or OSX offers that familiarity, and (for the most part) a more "reliable" experience, in terms of hardware and software compatibility.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, that was kind of a shot at Ubuntu.

HARDWARE MANAGER then?
DEVICE CENTER
DEVICE SETUP
HARDWARE CONFIG

I can think of 5 other names Ubuntu could use. As I said I am a "techie" It never occured to me to check the SOFTWARE CENTER for drivers.
KEEP IT SIMPLE. Some OS'es get it.

Again for the record I like Linux. But it's not ready for prime time.
How about HARDWARE DRIVERS? Yeah, that should do it.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You get that with Windows too.
No, it comes pre-installed on their machines. Granted they are often challenged by prompts to enter their name, choose which type of network they are connecting to (public, home, or work), and select the correct time zone.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, it comes pre-installed on their machines. Granted they are often challenged by prompts to enter their name, choose which type of network they are connecting to (public, home, or work), and select the correct time zone.
I guess I meant when installing it, but yeah, if it's already installed they won't see that.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
How about HARDWARE DRIVERS? Yeah, that should do it.
*snap* My Distro doesn't have that. Another issue with Linux. A pro and a con. Many distros to choose from. and too many distros to choose from.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
*snap* My Distro doesn't have that. Another issue with Linux. A pro and a con. Many distros to choose from. and too many distros to choose from.
Fedora is even worse. Go into add/remove software, you have a bunch of categories (system, games, internet, etc) with the drivers spread out among the various categories. There is a search option, with a little effort I can find what I'm looking for, but your average joe wouldn't have any idea what to look for.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I guess I meant when installing it, but yeah, if it's already installed they won't see that.
I understood what you meant, but the person that typically is doing a fresh install on a new PC, just built that new PC, and already have a clue. The vast majority with a new PC bought a pre-assembled, pre-loaded system.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I understood what you meant, but the person that typically is doing a fresh install on a new PC, just built that new PC, and already have a clue. The vast majority with a new PC bought a pre-assembled, pre-loaded system.
I wish there were a few pre-loaded Linux systems sold in stores side-by-side with Windows and Macs. If there were then no one would see the partitioning screens. We'd also hale apples to apples comparisons.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 AM

4,151 posts, read 4,169,267 times
The BIGGEST problem with Win8 is it is designed for tablet, not desktop. If you are going to install it for desktop, stick to Win7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers