U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM

1,388 posts, read 3,485,594 times

Advertisements

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with a 256GB harddrive. I'd like to "upgrade" to a 256 or 512 GB SSD (solid state drive). And I don't just want to add it - I mean, I literally want it to be my only drive. Meaning to boot off of it and all my programs to be transferred to it.

My first question is - Is this doable? If so, is it very difficult? Lastly, where can I find instructions on how to do this?

I'm moderately experienced with computers, however, not all TOO much with Macs. After using PCs my whole life and switching to Mac in 2010, it is still taking some getting used to.

Also, I'm thinking of getting some other upgrades too (I definitely need a new battery and I'm considering upgrading my RAM to 8GB up from 4GB.) Are there any other things I could add on to make my computer run like a whole new computer?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 PM

15,924 posts, read 15,137,181 times
This could be assistance to you:

Replacing Macbook Pro Disk Drive with SSD |

Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 PM

10,329 posts, read 15,024,483 times
Very do-able, here's another resource with step by step instructions Mac Repair - iFixit

Depending on what you do with the computer you may not notice any improvements going to 8GB.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 PM

iFixit, best of it's kind on the web hands down....

Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Thank you very much, guys! I really appreciate it. I will report back when I actually do buy the drive. After payday!

Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM

Hi everyone. So, I was about to buy a drive and I went to the resources (just to make sure I had everything in order), but I cannot possibly find a way to do a direct clone. I will only have my computer and the harddrive. I can't afford something like Disk Jockey, and so many places are giving me a run around on how to do it. What I think would be a simple process is just something that seems impossible. So, I'll break it down, and see if there's a thread somewhere or an article that breaks it down step by step:

1. I have a 256GB drive that has about 70GB free on my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro

2. I want to buy a 256GB solid state drive. I want this drive to be my main boot drive. I want to completely take out the other drive and not remove the optical drive (as I do use it from time to time, believe it or not.)

3. I don't have anything like Disk Jockey to transfer info from drive to drive, but I want to completely copy the contents of this hard drive to a solid state drive so when I use it, it'll be just like I left it.

What are my best and most practical options and/or steps in this process, if this is even possible at all? If this isn't possible in this format, what's a simple way to go about doing all this?

Thank you in advance

Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Hi everyone. So, I was about to buy a drive and I went to the resources (just to make sure I had everything in order), but I cannot possibly find a way to do a direct clone. I will only have my computer and the harddrive. I can't afford something like Disk Jockey, and so many places are giving me a run around on how to do it. What I think would be a simple process is just something that seems impossible. So, I'll break it down, and see if there's a thread somewhere or an article that breaks it down step by step:

1. I have a 256GB drive that has about 70GB free on my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro

2. I want to buy a 256GB solid state drive. I want this drive to be my main boot drive. I want to completely take out the other drive and not remove the optical drive (as I do use it from time to time, believe it or not.)

3. I don't have anything like Disk Jockey to transfer info from drive to drive, but I want to completely copy the contents of this hard drive to a solid state drive so when I use it, it'll be just like I left it.

What are my best and most practical options and/or steps in this process, if this is even possible at all? If this isn't possible in this format, what's a simple way to go about doing all this?

Thank you in advance
The problem you'll have in doing a swap of one drive for the other is where are you going to hook up the drive to do the mirror/clone?

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+...acement/4305/1

They do make Firewire/USB enclosures....

Do you have the right tools? Why don't you just replace the 250GB 5400RPM disk with a 750GB 7200RPM disk? they only cost about $115.00....

I have an external USB drive attached to my Macbook Pro (same build as yours) and I use Carbon Copy Cloner to mirror the drives.......

Carbon Copy Cloner - Home

Unfortunately it is now a commercial product, it's $39.95 but it's very well worth it.

Takes me about 40 minutes to clone my drive. I always test the cloned drive when complete and have yet to have the cloned drive fail and not boot my system...

It's a piece of cake, select the source drive, select the destination drive and click on the Clone button...

DM me if you want more info....

Last edited by plwhit; 12-11-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM

I DM'ed you

Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,532,378 times
Do a time machine backup of your machine. For this you will need an external drive obviously.

Do you have disks with operating system? If so then you can swap the drives now (put new one in). Install the OS. Then go to time machine and restore from backup. All of your applications, documents will be there.

Once you are satisfied you have everything, you can use dban (or similar) to wipe data off old drive. Then you can use it on an external case or you can sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Do a time machine backup of your machine. For this you will need an external drive obviously.

Do you have disks with operating system? If so then you can swap the drives now (put new one in). Install the OS. Then go to time machine and restore from backup. All of your applications, documents will be there.

Once you are satisfied you have everything, you can use dban (or similar) to wipe data off old drive. Then you can use it on an external case or you can sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)
Unfortunately, I don't have discs with the operating system on them so that's a no-go. However, I would have definitely done that if I had the discs.

plwhit helped me a ton. I ordered my SSD, a hard drive enclosure, and will also be buying Carbon Copy Cloner, as it will do exactly what I need it to do

I'm grateful for all the help that I've gotten here. It's definitely appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers