Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 AM

14,476 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

I got a refill kit offf Ebay.
I followed the instructions and used a tooth pick to make sure I knew which color of ink was in each reservoir.
I insert the red, blue and yellow ink. Then used the empty syringe to withdraw some ink at the bottom to remove air bubbles. Everything works fine, except a Word document with all font 72 red letters print out yellow.
Blue prints fine and yellow prints fine, so I clearly have not gotten red ink in the wrong portion of the cartridge. Green prints fine too, and green is a mix of blue and yellow. Another indication that the blue ink reservoir is pure blue and the yellow is not contaminated with another ink color.
Each section holds 6ml of ink, so says the instructions.
I've put an extra 6ml of red ink and it still prints yellow.
Anyone use refill kits and have any ideas?

Last edited by howard555; 10-29-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Find a color chart on the net and print it. If the colors match, then it isn't the printer.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Find a color chart on the net and print it. If the colors match, then it isn't the printer.
I printed this from the bottom of this page:

Ads by Google

Adoption Records Search - Find Birth Parents & Adoptees Fast. No Results No Fee. www.OmniTrace.com

Rent My Home - Can't sell your current home? We provide guaranteed rent! -www.marketplacehomes.com

Download Google Chrome - Searching is fast and easy with Google's web browser. -www.google.com/chrome

------------------------------------------
The red came out red.
------------------------------------
I then tried again to print this from a Word document:
ABCDEF
A BCDEF
A BCDEF
A BCDEF

The red B's come out yellow, and all others print fine, except the E's which are purple, print out yellow too.
The black, yellow, blue, green print fine. Purple and red come out yellow.

From previous years of this type issue, I think yellow is a default for "nothing."
I do not think these yellow B's and E's are being seen by the printer as yellow in color.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Have you tried printing from Notepad or Wordpad ?? or the "test page" part of Printer Setup ? I suspect Word or its print driver has a problem

Old 10-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Have you tried printing from Notepad or Wordpad ?? or the "test page" part of Printer Setup ? I suspect Word or its print driver has a problem
The ABCDE from above, was a Word document.

The printer is a Deskjet 1220C. Each time a cartridge is removed or installed, it automatically prints a test page. No red.

Notepad appears to only be black and white, no color choices.

I just did annother test from the printer properties. Nice blue, yellow, and green. No red. The sponge inside the cartridge could be dried out. I did put an extra 6ml of red ink in it so it should soak it's way to the bottom. However, a white tissue on the bottom of the cartridge reveals blue and yellow and red ink.
But, red does not print out.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM

I have another cartridge, same printer and yellow and blue and red ink are clearly at the bottom and it only prints red, no yellow or blue.
It may be the contacts on the side of these cartridges that are bad, or.....

Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Clogged print head, maybe? On HP, the print head is integrated into the cartridge somehow. Perhaps there is a way to unclog that.

I only own Canon inkjets, and both of them have separate cartridge for each color. The print head is also totally separate from the ink tanks. I have had zero problems with refilled cartridges.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Clogged print head, maybe? On HP, the print head is integrated into the cartridge somehow. Perhaps there is a way to unclog that.

I only own Canon inkjets, and both of them have separate cartridge for each color. The print head is also totally separate from the ink tanks. I have had zero problems with refilled cartridges.
I'll try cleaning the print head with q-tip and alcohol.

-------------
Maybe you can answer a question if you own Canon. I was given a small bag of empty Canon color cartridges.
Each one appears to show the white sponge inside is about 50% or more, soaked in ink. As if 50% empty and they no longer printer properly?

What kind of life time do you get out of one of those thin cartridges.
I'm holding a Canon red one in my hand now and I'll post the photo.
Is it really empty and no good.

If the printer head is not part of the cartridge, then why would a new cartridge work?
There are copper contacts on the cartridge that communicate with the printer.
A relative got a new Kodak printer and the printer head in that specific model had to be inserted. That part held the cartridges in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using ink refill kits for empty ink cartridges?-file0644.jpg  

Last edited by howard555; 10-30-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM

The printer head is not the issue. One cartridge prints red, but no blue or yellow. The other one prints blue but no red or yellow. Finally after filling a 3rd one, all 3 colors print fine. So, it is not the printer, it's the individual cartridges where one or more ink partitions is too dry to absorb new ink.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:03 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Sorry, but I really don't know how long a cartridge lasts. I don't use the color printer unless I need color, which isn't often. Before I started refilling the cartridges, though, it seemed like they were empty every time I turned around, haha.

"sopping wet," probably, for best ink flow. The Canons that I own are ip5000 and MP640. Each has a small R/Y/C/B cartridge, plus a larger black one, 5 ink cartridges in all. I still see color on that white felt stuff when the cartridge goes empty, but I presume it's trapped in the felt and there just isn't enough free liquid to flow out of the cartridge to print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers