U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 AM

8 posts, read 36,306 times

Advertisements

I'd like to have 5 monitors spread out around my apartment but I don't know if it's possible to do that without having to build a custom computer.

You see someone told me that your motherboard needs an SLI card in it in order to run 5 monitors off of one desktop.
I found out only specialized high-end monster super expensive gaming computers come with an SLI card.

I have a 2006 Dell XPS desktop. I would consider buying a new desktop if that's what it would take to be able to run 5 monitors.

Also and this is very, very, very important: I want to have it set up so all 5 monitors can show something different at one time. In other words for example I'd like to have

EBay on monitor 1

Yahoo on monitor 2

Citydata on monitor 3

DuckDuckGo on monitor 4

Netflix on monitor 5

all open and running at the same time.

Do I really need an SLI or do I need something else in order to accomplish this task?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
SLI is a system for harnessing the power of multiple video cards to drive one or two displays for high performance gaming. I don't see how that applies to this situation but I'm not an SLI expert.

What kind of slots do you have open on your motherboard? What you really need is some way to get enough video cards in your PC to drive 5 independent monitors. Assuming you have a PCI Express x16 slot in your Dell, pretty much any card will drive two monitors. If you have an open PCI Express x1 slot, there are a number of cards with dual outputs you could use. That gets you to 4 monitors pretty easily. Then you'll just need a slot for the 3rd video card. They even make dual output cards for the older PCI bus. That gets you up to 6 displays. I'm honestly not sure how many monitors Windows supports since I've never done more than 4.

How do you actually plan on using these monitors in different rooms? Sure, you could put eBay on a monitor in a different room, but if you're not there to use it, what's the point? Its not very exciting to have it up on a screen for someone else to look at, but not be able to interact with.

I have seen specialized cards with proprietary fan-out cables that can drive 4 monitors from one card but its been a while. I'm sure they're more expensive than just adding a bunch of video cards.

Also, make sure your power supply has enough wattage and current to drive 3 video cards.

One issue you're likely to run into is signal degradation with long cable runs. Digital interfaces like DVI or HDMI will travel better with good quality cables. VGA tends to degrade quickly, resulting in image ghosting.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
EC pretty much hit all the points, only thing I would suggest is find someone else for computer advice, SLI has nothing to do with what you want to accomplish.

How exactly do you plan on controlling the computer at all these remote monitors?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM

3,823 posts, read 5,984,158 times
Default Is it possible to run 5 monitors off of 1 computer, if so, how do you do it?

With Windows, which has multi-monitor support, it's easy to do assuming your computer has enough empty slots. It's usually just involves installing the video cards and connecting the monitors and restarting the computer.

If you want to use only one slot you can get an extremely expensive video card with many outputs such as this:

DisplayPort Graphics Card for Eight Monitors – Matrox M9188

If you have three empty slots you can use three dual output video cards and it will be much cheaper. There are still cards available for older computers that have PCI rather than PCI Express slots:

Newegg.com - JATON VIDEO-228PCI-DVI GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR PCI Low Profile Ready Video Card

There are many dual output PCI Express cards available.

If you decide on a new computer you might have a local computer shop build one with a motherboard that has plenty of slots for video cards.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
You need an AMD EYEFINITY Video Card. ATI AMD has the edge here.

What is Eyefinity

These cards support 5:
AMD Radeon™ HD 6700 Series

ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 Series

These support 6:
AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series

AMD Radeon™ HD 6900 Series

AMD Radeon™ HD 6900M Series

AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 Series

AMD Radeon™ HD 6800M Series

AMD Radeon™ HD 6700M Series

AMD Radeon™ HD 6600M Series

AMD Radeon™ HD 6500M Series

ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Coffee drinker and wishing to use 5 monitors simultaneously?

And the survey says: Near future ADD patient!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Coffee drinker and wishing to use 5 monitors simultaneously?

And the survey says: Near future ADD patient!

My guess is someone who thinks they can buy 5 monitors, keyboards, and mice and have 5 computers for the price of 1.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 36,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How do you actually plan on using these monitors in different rooms? Sure, you could put eBay on a monitor in a different room, but if you're not there to use it, what's the point? Its not very exciting to have it up on a screen for someone else to look at, but not be able to interact with.
All 4 or 5 monitors would not necessarily go in different rooms. They might be in the living room with one little one (17/19 inch) in the kitchen area.

I'm a photographer/budding videographer with lots of still images that I'd run on in shuffle mode. It might be for like when I'm hosting a party with friends.

It would be kind of like a nightclub scenario where images, and not necessarily sites like Ebay, would be running in shuffle mode in the background. I'd also have any number of videos running. I was just using Ebay as an example.

4 or 5 monitors running can be for any number of situations, not just parties. Even when I'm home alone busy cleaning or cooking I'd have them all running images or videos in shuffle mode, just to glance at or whatever.

Then again they may not be my images they might be any of the thousands/millions that are on Flickr. It's nice to study and/or glance at the artwork of others in order to generate ideas, improve composition, etc, etc.

I have my living room setup so I can switch it into different modes: A gym, a dance floor, an office, a school, an adult playroom, a den and a dining room.

Last edited by CoffeeHouseGirl; 10-31-2012 at 11:58 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Then you might benefit equally if not more from a program that actually switches between different running apps/tasks at pre-configured intervals.
Perhaps a PC that acts as a server and hosts/displays images even then other clients whether a PC or wireless device can access and view?
May be you could even use Windows screensaver to do a similar job?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,206,000 times
Or you could buy a tablet and have all that stuff with you all of the time.

Heck. Buy 5 Nexus 7 Tablets and throw them around the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers