Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

My GF received a Macbook for free for work but she already had bought a new Windows 7 laptop a few months ago.

She's considering installing Windows 7 on the Macbook (for dual boot) by using the same license for Windows 7 on the laptop.. and she'll be wiping that laptop and installing Linux to use it from now on.

Is this possible?

Is the Windows 7 key directly associated with a particular computer or it can be installed on any computer (as long as it's only active on 1 computer at any moment)? I've not had problems transferring the licenses between computers back in the Windows 95 and XP days but I'm not so enlightened about the extra license security on Windows 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
From a purely technical standpoint, I believe that OEM licenses are supposed to stay with the device that they are supplied with.

From a mechanical standpoint, it depends.

I moved my OEM license between towers without issue (retired the old hardware and built a new machine). It had been about 2 years since the original activation, and it activated without any problems.

I did have an issue when the new MB had to be RMA'd within a month. After swapping the MB, Windows deactivated itself and I had to call MS to reactivate, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

With that said; I have full Windows 7 media, not one of those all in one disks that typically come with laptops.

It's certainly worth a shot.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
After swapping the MB, Windows deactivated itself and I had to call MS to reactivate, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
"How many times have you installed this copy Windows?"

"Once "

"Congratulations, your activation was successful!"

Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,178,236 times
My experience is similar to Skunk's.

I have a store bought Windows 7 disc that I used to install the operating system on a home built computer a few years ago.

When I recently built a new replacement computer I had no problems with validation using the same Windows 7 disc and the same product key.

Of course, as mentioned before, this was not the already installed Windows 7 on laptops.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
"How many times have you installed this copy Windows?"

"Once "

"Congratulations, your activation was successful!"
Exactly!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:55 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post

I did have an issue when the new MB had to be RMA'd within a month. After swapping the MB, Windows deactivated itself and I had to call MS to reactivate, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
I've had to do this once, when I reinstalled Windows 2003 server on a test PC for school a long time ago. It borked after an update. Called MS when I tried to reactivate, they gave me the third degree about why I was reinstalling it. I got p*ssed off and pretty much told them I was reinstalling because of their half a$$ed QC process. Didn't have a problem after that and I've never had to call them again.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
What Microsoft won't tell you about Windows 7 licensing | ZDNet has a chart of the various licenses for Win7. But MS doesn't even consistently enforce its own rules.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I've had to do this once, when I reinstalled Windows 2003 server on a test PC for school a long time ago. It borked after an update. Called MS when I tried to reactivate, they gave me the third degree about why I was reinstalling it. I got p*ssed off and pretty much told them I was reinstalling because of their half a$$ed QC process. Didn't have a problem after that and I've never had to call them again.
At least with Office and Win7 it's all automated now.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
An OEM license of Windows cannot per the license agreement be transfered to another PC, however the license agreement has never been tested in a court, so who knows. Can you actually do it, yes. You would need a generic Windows 7 installation DVD of the same version (home, pro, etc) as the product key you want to use from the laptop.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM

188 posts, read 278,862 times
OEM versions of Windows die with the system it was first installed on.

Full retail version - your's for life; can be transferred to any system (1 at a time).

Always worth a try - Activation - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Then you must pass validation - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers