U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM

6,674 posts, read 9,252,136 times

Advertisements

Recently I've been running some full virus scans with Avast. When it finishes it doesn't show any virus being detected. Instead I get a sign saying that some files couldn't be scanned. Then when I click to view the results I get about 20 files being shown.

Such as:

Filename

c:\bgbody.png

Status

Error:Archive is password protected

Like I said I get about 20 similar files like the one above. When I choose what application to perform such as delete,repair or move to chest nothing happens. Has anyone else using Avast seen this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,668,468 times
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95461.0

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60675.0

Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM

Well I guess as long as there was nothing detected then everything is alright. I've used Avast for years and this is the first time I've seen something like this,that's why I found it strange.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,565,955 times
yea i used it and i still got viruses and wound up crashing my pc. now that taken into consideration each antivirus reads different alothrograms so a different brand may pick something up wheres avast won't. i switched from avast to norton 360 as when i bought my new pc norton was free. it works good and it tunes up your pc automaticly as well and keeps it performing in top shape vs avast does not. you might want to shop around i know norton was giving out rebates!!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 AM

185 posts, read 236,875 times
Avast is a good product; however, their latest release that included drivers with timestamp = 23 Oct has been showing up in BSODs during the last week.

If you are looking for a paid a/v - nothing beats ESET NOD32.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
yea i used it and i still got viruses and wound up crashing my pc.
Lastnight I ran a malwarebytes scan and it detected 17 infections that Avast never picked up. My main reason for keeping Avast is that they do have a protection shield feature that the free version of malwarebytes doesn't have.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM

11,788 posts, read 11,332,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Lastnight I ran a malwarebytes scan and it detected 17 infections that Avast never picked up. My main reason for keeping Avast is that they do have a protection shield feature that the free version of malwarebytes doesn't have.
Comparing Malwarebytes and Avast is (correctly) relative to comparing apples and oranges. Malwarebytes is not an antivirus product. It is an anti-malware product. It could very well overlook a virus while it finds malware that an anti-virus product would overlook.

Just my opinion, but if I was suspicious of a product or had trouble loading it, I would remove it and try another. The free ones work as well as the commercial ones. I'd state with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It automatically updates with Windows Updates and works as well as all the others. Keep Malwarebytes for it;s intended purpose.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,416,321 times
I've never seen this issue but have read on multiple sites that this file is somehow related to System Restore points that Avast is trying to scan. It didn't sound like anything to worry about.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,565,955 times
that was my problem with avast it didn't detect everything thing. and i agree with mensaguy compairing two different products is like comparing apples and oranges. taking in mind that each antiviruse reads different alithograms as well you could buy mcaffe and install it and it wont pick up any viruse or you could buy norton and it would pick up viruses. i use norton 360 and iv'e had no problems with it it keeps my pc tuned up and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers