Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times

Advertisements

So, all the random passwords are just getting too much to remember. With all the advancements in password cracking and the various list leaks making it easier by the day almost, I would like to start using better passwords and I can't even remember the system I use now anymore. Then i have to reset the password and try to remember what i said my favorite movie was 6 years ago or if I used city and state or just city for where I was born and its just a giant bag of fail. So, I was thinking about using a password manager app.

I do most of my web browsing using an iPad, with some on an iPhone and a little on a PC that's really pretty much a server now. As far as account logins I use a mix of all three also, with some dedicated apps on the idevices as well as going direct to the sites.

How does it work day to day? For things like forums, etc, they will keep me logged in and security is not the largest concern so no real issue. Smae or similar with Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and other social media apps.

For things like banking, general account passwords, etc, are you logging into the password manager and then just pulling the password out every single time you log into the site? Can you copy and paste? I almost feel stupid asking these kinds of questions, but for some reason I can't wrap my mind around the workflow, especially on the as it's not like there is a browser plug in that can do it automatically, or is there some way the app can interact?

Any experiences you can relate will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
I've used RoboForm for years, and can't live without it at this point. You can configure it to automatically fill forms, to fill and submit (or just fill and not submit) when you click a button on the toolbar, you can open the passcard (record for that site) and copy the info to be pasted into a form, etc. It's got a configurable password generator so you can create very strong passwords on the fly.

It stays synced with all your devices if you go with the "RoboForm Everywhere" account, which is something like $20/year. Whatever the cost, it's well worth the money. You can also save bookmarks to it, which is great for keeping them all synced up across all your computers/devices through the 'Everywhere' service. It also keeps 'SafeNotes', which is basically a built-in Notepad app that stores your random thoughts or whatever you want as securely as it stores your logins.

I use android devices, and always have access to my login info. The app has a built-in browser on that platform for loading sites and filling forms, but I don't use it. I need it so infrequently on those devices that I just open the main app to copy the password to the clipboard when I need to.

I tried LastPass after reading some good reviews about it, but it just didn't compare to RoboForm. I was already an established RF user when I did that, so take that with a grain of salt, I guess. Roboform is very polished, though, and its usability is extremely high.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I use LastPass, and like it a lot.
Some sites do not allow auto-login or auto-fill, so that can be a hurdle, but they are few. I never have to login to CD.

I cannot say LastPass is better than anything else, since it is the first of its sort that I tried. But it works for me.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I've used RoboForm for years, and can't live without it at this point. ...........
I too have been using RoboForm for many years & couldn't live without it. It's not free, but it's worth whatever it costs.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
I love 1Password.
Have used it for over 3 years now to manage 592 logins.
Highly recommended.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Then i have to reset the password and try to remember what i said my favorite movie was 6 years ago or if I used city and state or just city for where I was born and its just a giant bag of fail. So, I was thinking about using a password manager app.
Pick a standard answer for these questions or even a randomly generated password.

What's your mother's maiden name? Yogurt
What's your dogs name? Yogurt
What's your........

It's easy to remember and more importantly more secure because it can't be guessed.

As far as password managers go I use Keepass, you right click the entry and it places the username or password on the clipboard by default for 15 seconds. You can set it to minimize itself once you copy. There's all kinds of other options like notes or even attaching a file to an entry.

The executable can be placed on a usb memory card along with your database if you need it to be mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers