U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:27 AM
Yac

5,969 posts, read 6,633,710 times

Advertisements

I use Spybot and Ad aware. Together, they have never failed me.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 AM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
The viruses have returned! The OverTwo.YearOld.DeadThread is alive and well as is the Newbie.Resurrection.Of.DeadThread

Everyone needs to run Malwarebytes immediately!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM

181 posts, read 268,763 times
Haha!!

Seriously, who resurrects a nearly three year old thread? I am guessing that DBNN has LONG AGO solved his problem.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,593,531 times
This one has made a comeback, I know 3 people that have had it in the last 6 months and it has tried to get on mine several times..Thank God, I knew what it was and "X'ed" out of it immediately.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:04 PM

11,497 posts, read 21,900,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
This one has made a comeback, I know 3 people that have had it in the last 6 months and it has tried to get on mine several times..Thank God, I knew what it was and "X'ed" out of it immediately.
You're correct there is a nasty virus/malaware that is doing what the original post says. My son just had it about a month ago. IIRC, it was something that appeared to be a microsoft program

If anyone has what appears to be an antivirus warning where it starts scanning; immediately try to stop/cancel the scan. Next you want to reboot in safe mode & install Super Antispyware. I also suggest backing up your hard drive if you can get that far.

My son's was too far gone, had to restore my backup.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,570,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're correct there is a nasty virus/malaware that is doing what the original post says. My son just had it about a month ago. IIRC, it was something that appeared to be a microsoft program

If anyone has what appears to be an antivirus warning where it starts scanning; immediately try to stop/cancel the scan. Next you want to reboot in safe mode & install Super Antispyware. I also suggest backing up your hard drive if you can get that far.

This is exactly what I got on my PC two weeks ago. IT was called "AVSecuritySuite" (I didn't even know there's a real AV something that apparently it is mimicking.) I couldn't get online or do anything _other than keep returning to their screen that wanted me to buy the "anti virus" protection for $50 or somesuch. I still didn't realize right away that THAT was the virus/scam until a techie relative told me so.
We did the turnoff, Safe Mode reboot and a bunch of other stuff, and I was able to get the trial version of WebRoot installed and it found 5 really bad ("5-star") viruses and about 70 other lesser ones which are now quarantined.
I had been using Windows Live One Care but it expired and I hadn't gotten around to researching some other AV program -- and that's what happened to me.

My techie friend does not want me to use WebRoot's offsite backup though -- he doesn't trust it. I haven't backed up in ages...I do have a bunch of Sony CD-R discs - they're at least 2 or 3 years old, 700MG per disc -- okay enough to use?
Someone remind me how to go about backing up my entire PC????

Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
They're called rogue antivirus apps or scareware, designed to get you to shell out your credit card info.
I would not recommend purchasing any apps from webroot, they were good years ago, not so good any more, there are better options such as Kaspersky or Nod32.
A full backup is best done with an external hard drive and imaging software such as Acronis True Image. If you have Vista or Windows 7 they have their own backup software included.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
This is exactly what I got on my PC two weeks ago. IT was called "AVSecuritySuite" (I didn't even know there's a real AV something that apparently it is mimicking.) I couldn't get online or do anything _other than keep returning to their screen that wanted me to buy the "anti virus" protection for $50 or somesuch. I still didn't realize right away that THAT was the virus/scam until a techie relative told me so.
We did the turnoff, Safe Mode reboot and a bunch of other stuff, and I was able to get the trial version of WebRoot installed and it found 5 really bad ("5-star") viruses and about 70 other lesser ones which are now quarantined.
I had been using Windows Live One Care but it expired and I hadn't gotten around to researching some other AV program -- and that's what happened to me.

My techie friend does not want me to use WebRoot's offsite backup though -- he doesn't trust it. I haven't backed up in ages...I do have a bunch of Sony CD-R discs - they're at least 2 or 3 years old, 700MG per disc -- okay enough to use?
Someone remind me how to go about backing up my entire PC????
Do you have XP or Vista? If you have XP, using Maxtor Maxblast will back your system up into actual files verses a backup package. I have Maxblast & could copy it & put it online for you.

What I would do is either buy a 2nd drive & throw it in an external enclosure or have your techie friend add it as slave. I just bought a 1.5T drive for $70. You can also go one step farther & purchase a large sized thumb drive.

If you do a slave drive, you can run "My documents" and anything you want to save from the slaved drive.

The "AV Security Suite" actually said XP Security Suite when it was on my son's PC. He got infected because his Avast free expired & he did not realize it. I've since added a new version plus the Super Antispyware.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:55 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,570,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you have XP or Vista? If you have XP, using Maxtor Maxblast will back your system up into actual files verses a backup package. I have Maxblast & could copy it & put it online for you.

What I would do is either buy a 2nd drive & throw it in an external enclosure or have your techie friend add it as slave. I just bought a 1.5T drive for $70. You can also go one step farther & purchase a large sized thumb drive.

If you do a slave drive, you can run "My documents" and anything you want to save from the slaved drive.

The "AV Security Suite" actually said XP Security Suite when it was on my son's PC. He got infected because his Avast free expired & he did not realize it. I've since added a new version plus the Super Antispyware.

Hi Roselvr...thanks for your reply. I have XP, Home Edition. To give you an idea of how non-tech I am, I don't really even understand your sentence that I have boldfaced... or what a "slave" is. I do know that external hard drives are now about the size of a piece of bread, but I don't really want to spend $70 right now (unemployed). I'm tempted to just do the offsite backup that WebRoot will do, but my friend has made me a bit paranoid about "who" might be able to access such things...oy, the headaches!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Hi Roselvr...thanks for your reply. I have XP, Home Edition. To give you an idea of how non-tech I am, I don't really even understand your sentence that I have boldfaced... or what a "slave" is. I do know that external hard drives are now about the size of a piece of bread, but I don't really want to spend $70 right now (unemployed). I'm tempted to just do the offsite backup that WebRoot will do, but my friend has made me a bit paranoid about "who" might be able to access such things...oy, the headaches!
The newest issue of Maximum C says not to use webroot offsite backup. I'll grab the mag tomorrow to see if I can find the article.

Most backup programs put the backup into a file that only it (the program) can read. The Maxtor puts the files in a folder & it's accessible without using the program to unpack it. The Maxblast I have will not run on newer windows; so XP is fine.

Do you have any spare hard drives laying around? Your friend can use that to back up the files you need

80 gig drive $35.99

You can get a flash thumb drive for under $20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or