Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

On every reboot, Windows informs me (twice) there are "CD Recording software drivers" that are not being loaded due to possible problems.
OK...fine...I don't need them and recall installing, and subsequently unstalling a program a long time ago.
I'd like to get rid of this annoyance but can't find the damn drivers to get rid of them!
Followed directions to the Device Manager......said they should show up grayed out....nope.
I can't remember what CD burner I thought I needed at the time so searching for a remnant or something isn't helpful.
edited: The name Sonic does ring a bell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:14 PM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Since it is giving you an error then the problem is there is an entry for it in the registry that is pointing to a driver that no longer exists, hence the error.

Regardless of your technical expertise, the easiest and most thorough method would be to use one of my favorite freeware utilities called AutoRuns (formerly SysInternals but owned by the Big Cheese):
Autoruns for Windows

Download and then unzip the file, you can run it from anywhere.

Once you unzipped, double-click on autoruns.exe to run the program.
Click YES/OK at the agreement screen if it comes up.
Afterward, the program will initiate the scan, press the Escape key to cancel the scan. On top menu bar, click OPTIONS then select/check "Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries" option. Then press F5 to re-initiate the scan.
The final list will be much shorter and easier to go through.
What you are ultimately looking for are the entries with "File not found" under the "Image Path" column. These are the ones you will need to get rid of.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They might be under a few different locations so take your time and carefully go through the list. Once you spot one, start by unchecking its box first which disables the entry. If it was indeed the culprit then later you could re-run autoruns and delete that entry by right-click > delete > Yes.

Let us know if you need further assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers