U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM

683 posts, read 803,843 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a media center, and the most important thing is for it to be able to sync with an iPod classic to transfer songs i.e. MP3/M4/etc songs not music files in an explorer style.

Also I'd like a library that doesn't go all the way back to the top of the list when you delete something in the middle.

I just upgraded to Windows 8, was using Vista with Winamp before. It synced with the Ipod fine but invariably kept crashing every couple of songs. It did this through different updates, and mulitple clean reinstalls. Also the library list goes back to the top when you delete something down the list which is very annoying.

I've liked J River Media Center in the past but it's $40, which I might go in for, but in addition to $40, there's no lifetime upgrade. You must buy each time they upgrade.

Anything free that's decent? Songbird doesn't do iPod. Media Monkey has a poor IMO interface, and there's way too many hoops for syncing with an iPod.

I might have to just do iTunes. How is iTunes on Windows? Can you play your own music or everything has to be iPod bought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

How is iTunes on Windows?

Beyond horrible.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 PM

10,127 posts, read 3,680,481 times
I personally like Itunes.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I personally like Itunes.
iTunes/iPod:
No WMA
Syncing hassles - every other MP3 player in the world is simply a mass storage device which also happens to play music. You put songs on it. You unplug it. You plug it in to any other PC. You put more music on it. You take music off. No hassles. Try that in a windows environment with iTunes.
[Steam coming out my ears now...]
Non standard cables. You need special cables instead of literally dime a dozen USB cables.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
iTunes/iPod:
No WMA
Syncing hassles - every other MP3 player in the world is simply a mass storage device which also happens to play music. You put songs on it. You unplug it. You plug it in to any other PC. You put more music on it. You take music off. No hassles. Try that in a windows environment with iTunes.
Non standard cables. You need special cables instead of literally dime a dozen USB cables.
To be honest, I don't really even sync my phone or ipad much anymore. They have itunes on them, and I can download whatever I need to them. I have copied music onto them that I've gotten from other sources, though...no problem.

I guess one thing I do like is that I haven't seen an MP3 player that really handles the music organization and podcasts like an ipod does. Of course, I haven't tried one really in about 5 years.

For my desktop, I use Itunes to download podcasts to listen at my desk. I haven't seen a windows program that works as well.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 PM

2,700 posts, read 1,916,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
iTunes/iPod:
No WMA
1. Who on Earth uses WMA? And why?
2. Syncing with non apple devices is atrocious, granted. As a macbook pro/HTC owner this is a real pain in the a**
3. The non standard cables come with every ipod/iphone, so whats the issue?

The real issue with itunes IMO is itunes 11, it's terrible. Half of the functionality has been stripped out.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post

The real issue with itunes IMO is itunes 11, it's terrible. Half of the functionality has been stripped out.
I just unknowingly upgraded to it on one of my machines. I agree---it's horrible.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 PM

2,700 posts, read 1,916,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I just unknowingly upgraded to it on one of my machines. I agree---it's horrible.
If you're on a mac you can downgrade to 10.7 by using 'pacifist.' CharlesSoft — software you always wished someone would write

Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 AM

23,283 posts, read 17,639,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
1. Who on Earth uses WMA? And why?
A lot of average consumers since it's the deafault ripping format on Windows Media Player, another use is if you need really low bitrate audio less than 128kbps it can't be beat.

Quote:
3. The non standard cables come with every ipod/iphone, so whats the issue?
If the cable goes bad on my device I have about 20 of them to choose from to replace it. The only reason to have a non standard USB interface is so you can lock users into buying the patented Apple cables that come at a premium price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers