U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,267,327 times
Default How To Increase Available Memory on C-Drive from 9% to 15%??

Hi everyone. I have an older desktop that has served me well, running Windows XP. Problem is when I try to defrag or clean up the C-Drive. The sytem scans and then tells me I don't have enough available memory - at 8%. Remove unwanted files...

I have removed everything that I could think of; unused programs, pictures, music, etc., only got up to 9% available memory - to clean up I need 15%. What else should I do? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM

11,906 posts, read 11,392,760 times
Just a comment to start with - hard drives are not memory nor do they have any. Hard drives are storage devices, not memory devices.

Memory, sometimes called "RAM," are circuits, not mechanical, and in most cases the data is lost when they are turned off.

If you have truly cleared everything you can and still only have 9% free space, you can do some or all of the following:

1. uninstall any software you haven't used or don't need.
2. try to clean up more files using a free product like Ccleaner. It is particularly good at finding and deleting temporary files otherwise not easy to find.
3. delete the swap file. This is an advanced task and should be considered only a temporary thing

Really though - this problem will be reoccurring for you. I suggest you replace that hard drive with a larger one.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM

14,986 posts, read 8,161,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi everyone. I have an older desktop that has served me well, running Windows XP. Problem is when I try to defrag or clean up the C-Drive. The sytem scans and then tells me I don't have enough available memory - at 8%. Remove unwanted files...

I have removed everything that I could think of; unused programs, pictures, music, etc., only got up to 9% available memory - to clean up I need 15%. What else should I do? Thanks!!!
Agree with hoff, download and install CCleaner (the free version) from here:

CCleaner - Download

After it's installed boot the system into Safe Mode and run it.... To see what you have to do in Ccleaner before rebooting: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-CCleaner

How to get into Safe Mode:

~ Click Start and then click Shut Down.

~ In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

~ As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.

Be patient, it might take some time...

Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Just a comment to start with - hard drives are not memory nor do they have any. Hard drives are storage devices, not memory devices.

Memory, sometimes called "RAM," are circuits, not mechanical, and in most cases the data is lost when they are turned off.

If you have truly cleared everything you can and still only have 9% free space, you can do some or all of the following:

2. try to clean up more files using a free product like Ccleaner. It is particularly good at finding and deleting temporary files otherwise not easy to find.
3. delete the swap file. This is an advanced task and should be considered only a temporary thing

Really though - this problem will be reoccurring for you. I suggest you replace that hard drive with a larger one.
Thanks for the clarification between memory and hard drive - and the tips!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Agree with hoff, download and install CCleaner (the free version) from here:

CCleaner - Download

After it's installed boot the system into Safe Mode and run it.... To see what you have to do in Ccleaner before rebooting: How to Use CCleaner: 10 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

How to get into Safe Mode:

~ Click Start and then click Shut Down.

~ In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

~ As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.

Be patient, it might take some time...
Thanks for the details!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 PM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
Sometimes it's data files. On another thread in this forum it was mentioned to use WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics which will list files on the PC. I haven't used it, but apparently it will list the files in order of size. You might a file or two of a large size that can be deleted.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM

6,248 posts, read 4,462,393 times
Buy a new computer

Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Buy a new computer
Yeah, we have a new laptop. I just like the desktop for officey type things, and I've not really had problems with the old Dell.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 AM

65 posts, read 25,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Technically hard drives are memory. Hard drives also contain another type of memory used for caching purposes. As of late (since the 90s) the use of the term memory for hard drives have gone down significantly, but I still hear the older folks use the terms interchangeably.

Agree with CCleaner. I also think that Tek_Freek's suggestion of WinDirStat is a great idea.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,078,827 times
Another thing you could do is install another hard drive or use an external drive and move some of your files over to clear up space on the primary drive. The reason it is telling you it needs more space is because during defrag it will need space to swap data in and out of while shifting and compacting the data on the drive. Simply moving a couple of large folders over to another drive will solve the problem for now. If you have a music folder with a lot of files in it, that would be a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers