Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,565,007 times

Advertisements

Eudora® + gmail (pop & smtp)
local download, filter as needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 PM

61,261 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Never had yahoo, never liked it. I am using gmail and it works great.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,292,145 times
Get your own domain name.

I've had one for about ten years now. I have two email addresses with it - one for my personal email, the other for online ordering, registrations on sites from which I want to receive correspondence, etc. I receive almost no spam in either account. I use Thunderbird as an email reader, but I can also access my email online.

I keep my ancient Yahoo account for throwaways and sites I don't trust not to sell my address. (There is no address book on my yahoo account, so even if it was hacked, there's nothing for anyone to gain.) If I really don't trust a site or have any desire to receive correspondence, I use a mailinator.com address.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,518,779 times
Well I just read from someone else and tested. Can't open any email attachments either!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,345,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
What I don't think is excusable with the new yahoo is that you can log into mail.yahoo.com now, NOT check the box (I never stay logged in), but when you exit you are still actually logged in to yahoo--if you are at a motel that is awful because people may not know they left themselves logged on. You have to go to the home page (house) and log out THERE.
That might actually be your browser. If you don't check "keep me signed in" you're supposed to get a session cookie which is supposed to be deleted when you close your browser. Apparently now Chrome and Firefox (at least) are not doing this like they should. As a consequence, I've gotten in the habit of always explicitly logging out of sites when I'm done and not relying on the browser to do it for me.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It seems to me that gmail gets hacked pretty regularly. As in every contact I have who has gmail has been hacked with various spam being sent out under their names.
Getting "hacked" just means that someone had a weak password and was guessed by robots. I get these from people I know all the time. 80+% of them are either Yahoo or Hotmail/MSN/Live accounts in my experience. Very few are Gmail, private domains, or ISP mail.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,518,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That might actually be your browser. If you don't check "keep me signed in" you're supposed to get a session cookie which is supposed to be deleted when you close your browser. Apparently now Chrome and Firefox (at least) are not doing this like they should. As a consequence, I've gotten in the habit of always explicitly logging out of sites when I'm done and not relying on the browser to do it for me.
But it is odd, I don't have this happen on other sites where I don't check to "remember me" or "keep me logged in"....I have to log in each time just like I had to log into yaho each time. Well def log out completeley now. Husband did show me an easier way. But good practice.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,983,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Eudora® + gmail (pop & smtp)
local download, filter as needed
I was poised to roundly criticize that recommendation, since Eudora hadn't been updated in years and the old versions croaked on mail with HTML in it... until I clicked your link and saw that there are now Open Source versions of Eudora.

I used Eudora for 10+ years and gave it up around 2008 or 2009. I don't think I'd go back to an email client now, since I use multiple machines and platforms, but I have older family members who still use Eudora. Knowing that I can upgrade them to a newer version in encouraging.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,983,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It seems to me that gmail gets hacked pretty regularly. As in every contact I have who has gmail has been hacked with various spam being sent out under their names.
This has nothing to do with the email provider and it isn't hacking or preventable. It has more to do with how public your email address is. If it's published on the web somewhere, it will be detected and spoofed by spammers.

Email spoofing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This has nothing to do with the email provider and it isn't hacking or preventable. It has more to do with how public your email address is. If it's published on the web somewhere, it will be detected and spoofed by spammers.

Email spoofing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If it were simply spoofing the address, I wouldn't be getting mail from people I actually know. Besides, I've gotten calls from people who've lost control of their webmail accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers