Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times

Advertisements

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion from Leopard. Other than the fact that I won't have to upgrade my operating system again (by then I'll need a new computer), I don't see what the fuss is about unless you use your computer to manage your life with apps - which I don't.

Do you use Mountain Lion? Do you love it, like it, hate it or are you indifferent about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
One cool thing about it is to mirror your display to your TV if you have Apple TV, right?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
One cool thing about it is to mirror your display to your TV if you have Apple TV, right?
True... but I don't own a TV!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I like Mountain Lion much better than Lion. Lion felt unfinished.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
As an OS i like it, its basically lion but 'finished'. My battery life on mountain lion is really bad though. My old battery with 81% health gets less than 2 hours. I used to get 3.5 - 4.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM

203 posts, read 517,127 times
The three reasons I upgraded were because it was cheap, I like that I can mirror to my TV, and I like that I can use iMessage on my laptop.

Lion was the first OS that I had ever used because I bought my laptop early last year so I can't really say if I felt it was "finished" or not like the other posters are saying.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I dont like it at all. I upgraded because I had to for my job. The notifications are kind of nice but found that it makes my macbook pro lag. Its a common issue.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion from Leopard. Other than the fact that I won't have to upgrade my operating system again (by then I'll need a new computer), I don't see what the fuss is about unless you use your computer to manage your life with apps - which I don't.

Do you use Mountain Lion? Do you love it, like it, hate it or are you indifferent about it?
I will never know if I like ML over Leopard & Snow Leopard since ML is NOT backwards compatible for programs we use and really like. IMO this will prove to be a major screw up on Apples part.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
You can mirror your screen to a Samsung HDTV (or any HDTV with HDMI) under 10.6 as well, do it all the time....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o08_s00_i00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiZCCrmxdpg

Last edited by plwhit; 12-24-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 PM

I appreciate everyone's responses. It's interesting to me to see how people use their computers and what's important to them. Sometimes I wish I didn't live so simply just so I could experience these programs and find them useful. (I don't own a TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs, microwave, car, etc., I still cook from scratch and make my own bread and butter every week. Even when I was younger, I just wasn't impressed by technology.)

When I switched to Mac five years ago, I started liking computers. Micro$oft was so frustrating to me that I absolutely hated them! Here's how I describe computers now: When you buy a PC, it's like buying a car... and having to PUSH it everywhere you go! But, when you buy a Mac, it's like getting a chauffeur with the car.

When I bought my iMac, I over-bought into a more powerful computer on purpose. I'd hoped to grow into it but, just the opposite happened. My life became even more simple and now I can see myself without a computer at all. I mostly use it for news (since I don't own a TV), recipes, listening to my favorite pastors, biblical studies and watching a few TV shows and movies. CityData has been a fun diversion at times, too.

I've even lost the desire to watch TV and movies. Nothing interests me. It's just as well though because, since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, none of my media programs work properly anymore. By the time you search out all the plug-ins, work-arounds and get the settings just right, it's just not worth it.

Truth be told, I'd give up my iMac for a simple iPad if that didn't require wifi. I don't trust the internet as it is, much less having to worry about people hacking into your signal.

Forgive my rambling. I tend to get very pensive this time of year and most of this is just "thinking out loud."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers