Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

For a general user like the OP and I, the HP Pavilions are also something to look into. Like already stated, it does not really matter much whether you get an HP, Gateway, Lenovo, etc. I am just mentioning the HP Pavilions because I have always had these. For a general user, the HP Pavilions, and HP Pavilion slimlines are just fine. You can get a decent HP PC in the 400-600 price range. For general use, I suggest you only need to look in that price range. You do not need to spend more than that. The HP HPE and HP Envys, which can be much more expensive, are more for gamers or power users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You'd have to be for that price.

Throw in two large HDD's and it's still less than $1K..... Mobo specs 14 USB ports including 6 external USB3 ports, 2 internal SATA3 ports, 2 external SATA3 ports, 4 internal SATA2 ports, yada,yada,yada. I even have a display port. Even the high end Macs aren't in the same ball park.

...except that you still need to use a Windows OS.

I've been playing around a lot with the new Windows8 OS, and for a while was even considering a windows devices as my next computer. While Windows8 is probably MS best OS, Im sticking with OSX (for now at least)

Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,445 times
http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/18/how-to...ntelligence%29

Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
I am aware of hackintoshs. A friend built one a few years back and it ran about 85 - 90 percent compatible. Adobe Programs ran much slower than a similarly speced macBook Pro.

Still researching them. $1.2K is still a sizable investment for something that may or may not work they way you want it to.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,445 times
Lately they're running flawless from when Apple started using intel chips.

Personally I don't have it so I can only go based off of testimonials.

That specific link is for the MacPro Hackintosh, you can make a very capable one for $400 following hyperlinks on that page.

Personally OP you should go to Dell's site and buy one of their scratch and dent models for much less than retail.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Thanx for all the advice.

Do you think a touchscreen is a good way to go? Isn't that useful with Windows 8?

BTW, I've heard both good and bad things about Windows 8. Anyone using it?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do you think a touchscreen is a good way to go?
Many machines will have a touch screen whether you want it or not but you don't have to use it. I think touch on a machine with a proper keyboard and mouse is pointless and I don't want to have to lean forward constantly to interact with my computer.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
My 6-year old Vaio laptop is losing screen brightness and apparently replacing the bulb and inverter will cost me about $360.

So I'm thinking of buying a new computer. I hardly ever took my laptop anywhere so I was thinking of a desktop. I'm not into gaming, so just need a computer for internet, word processing, maybe some occasional photoshop, I watch a lot of movies on my computer and want to make sure I can watch TV on it etc. I'm hoping to spend less than $1000.

Any recommendations?
Well you could build a Intel Ivy bridge I5 Quad core or AMD FX-8350 8-Core CPU Expandable Mother board Combo and be left with 500-600 left depending on MOBO and Chipsets you chose to go with.

And use the rest to build a mid tower PC that would be able to do anything you would need to in the present and also expand it to meet most of what will be needed in the near future.

Both can handle what you could throw at it and AMD is a good bang for the buck over 3RD Gen I-5 Intel prices where both have ups and Downs but that is if you ever push them to their limit which would be hard for what you plan to with it but will also meet you needs for years to come.

AMD Bulldozer reaches 8.43 Ghz on liquid Helium Commentary (OFFICIAL) - YouTube
I'm no Intel fanboy [I use AMD Chips in a few of my of my builds] but they disabled 7 cores... A single core processor. Then again, I don't think any 8-core CPU can reach 8.335 GHz utilizing all its cores but 8-10 years the most current stuff out there will be the for sale at dirt cheap bargain blowout prices.

plus $600 Dollar Dell or HP PC will be able to meet your needs for Photoshop and 1080P HD TV on with ease.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well you could build a Intel Ivy bridge I5 Quad core or AMD FX-8350 8-Core CPU Expandable Mother board Combo and be left with 500-600 left depending on MOBO and Chipsets you chose to go with.

And use the rest to build a mid tower PC that would be able to do anything you would need to in the present and also expand it to meet most of what will be needed in the near future.

Both can handle what you could throw at it and AMD is a good bang for the buck over 3RD Gen I-5 Intel prices where both have ups and Downs but that is if you ever push them to their limit which would be hard for what you plan to with it but will also meet you needs for years to come.

AMD Bulldozer reaches 8.43 Ghz on liquid Helium Commentary (OFFICIAL) - YouTube
I'm no Intel fanboy [I use AMD Chips in a few of my of my builds] but they disabled 7 cores... A single core processor. Then again, I don't think any 8-core CPU can reach 8.335 GHz utilizing all its cores but 8-10 years the most current stuff out there will be the for sale at dirt cheap bargain blowout prices.

plus $600 Dollar Dell or HP PC will be able to meet your needs for Photoshop and 1080P HD TV on with ease.
Most of what you wrote I don't understand However I was told to keep away from AMD and get Intel i5.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I didn't see anyone suggesting you just buy a monitor and plug that into the laptop to use instead of the laptop screen. If your laptop already does everything you want it to do, then this is a possible solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers