Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM

633 posts, read 723,691 times

Advertisements

this is an old sharp laptop. running vista 32 bit. i only remember it has 1.6 gb ram. dunno what processor maybe 1.2 hertz(?) whatever unit they use in processor. 60 gb hd.

anyway i only use it for internet and watch/stream movies. for some reason video is choppy. like i was trying to watch dvd in media player and the vid is not in sync with audio. even installed vlc player but it is worst coz the vid is totally frozen only hear audio. so deleted it and try media player again. in full screen it's totally out of sync but if not on full screen, it plays better but still not totally smooth sync.

even googled for help but nothing i read online helps.

my next solution is installing xp. i think the low specs will be compatible with xp. or u think win 7 will run smoothly in the low specs?

any other solution will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Doesn't win 7 require 4GB of RAM
IE9 won't work on win XP but I am sure other browsers can
My work computer has XP and Win 8 (Win 9 not supported, I have no admin rights to change)
Lot of messages to "Update browser" as video is not supported.

I think you need a better computer or tablet.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Win 7 does not require 4 Gb. It will run better than Vista in any configuration.

If audio and video are not in sync I suspect the video drivers are faulty.

But I would do the following:

1. check for an updated BIOS for the laptop, even if it is old
2. Reinstall the operating system, preferably Win 7
3. Add more memory if possible.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Win 7 does not require 4 Gb. It will run better than Vista in any configuration.

If audio and video are not in sync I suspect the video drivers are faulty.

But I would do the following:

1. check for an updated BIOS for the laptop, even if it is old
2. Reinstall the operating system, preferably Win 7
3. Add more memory if possible.
ok thanks that updated BIOS was 1 of google recommendationsbut i didn't do it. i just googled update BIOS for sharp laptop now and found their website. hopefully they still have the upgrade for this old laptop. hopefully there's also a video drivers update on their site. it's also 1 of recommendations.

i am leaning more on installing xp coz it is an old laptop after all.. so an old OS might be more compatible.

but thanks!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I do stand corrected on the Win 7 memory requirements but my Win XP work computer does poorly with video and it has 4GB of ram. It cannot run IE9. I don't know what versions of other browsers are supported but I have subpar video performance and this is a new computer (it was down-imaged by corporate IT)

Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
this is an old sharp laptop. running vista 32 bit.
How old is old? Compressed video especially if it's HD requires a lot of CPU to decode. An old CPU just isn't going to do it.

You shouldn't have any trouble with this video:

http://www.40lbhead.com/headfiles/al..._harmonica.wmv

There is other things can cause or contribute to this like a severely fragmented and/or full HDD. I'd start there as it's easiest thing to do. Clean up the drive and defragment it.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
but my Win XP work computer does poorly with video and it has 4GB of ram.
RAM is not really very important for video playback.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How old is old? Compressed video especially if it's HD requires a lot of CPU to decode. An old CPU just isn't going to do it.

You shouldn't have any trouble with this video:

http://www.40lbhead.com/headfiles/al..._harmonica.wmv

There is other things can cause or contribute to this like a severely fragmented and/or full HDD. I'd start there as it's easiest thing to do. Clean up the drive and defragment it.
ya. i think that's a good point. i was watching the hunger games DVD which i presume is HD. but the youtube vids are choppy too. well some and now that u brought the HD thing. maybe those choppy vids in youtube are HD.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM

You shouldn't have trouble with DVD unless it's really old.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You shouldn't have trouble with DVD unless it's really old.
what's old? the laptop? it is old. and why won't hd dvd be a prob? if u said HD playback is problematic for old laptop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers