U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM

580 posts, read 1,943,823 times

Advertisements

I have just received a new computer and whenever I'm on internet explorer it will disappear for up to 5 or 6 seconds and then suddenly reappear. The whole screen doesn't turn blank, you can still see the desktop, it just looks as if somebody closed out the browser and reopened it again and it will still be on the same page. It's really getting annoying.

I contacted HP support 4 different times to try to resolve the issue. They had me go to the advanced tab on internet options and hit reset to get rid of all the add ons, then I had to uninstall and reinstall the software for the graphics, then uninstall and reinstall the browser, they had me do a system recovery, and after all of that didn't work they had me download a new browser. This didn't work either.

I think the support people just assumed it was a browser issue because the only time I've experienced any problems with this computer is when I'm on the internet. But that is probably because 99% of the time I'm on the computer, I'm on the internet. But the fact that a different browser didn't help, makes me think it something else.

Now they're going to send me some recovery CDs to help with the issue. Maybe I'm confused, but isn't that the same programming that's on recovery portion on your hard drive? I really don't know what good this is going to do, but after speaking with them on the phone for over an hour and a half (and not understanding half of what they said because they don't know how to speak English) I really just wanted them to shut up already.

If anybody has any ideas what could be wrong, your help would be appreciated. And if it matters I'm running Window's 7 home premium on a 64 bit operating system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,036,071 times
HP isn't known for delivering a sleek, clean PC. They (along with other mfgs) load their computers up with crap that can cause no end of problems. Download and run The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk | The PC Decrapifier
and feel free to post back if you have any questions on what it's going to remove, and keep us updated on the results.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,307,603 times
You're familiar with Windows 7?

If you mouseover the icon of an open program in the taskbar it gives you a little thumbnail of the program. If you mouseover the thumbnail the active window disappears and you van view the window you're mousing over. Once you move the pointer off the thumbnail the active window comes back.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM

not really

Last edited by frizzo100; 12-30-2012 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: .

Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM

That could be what you're experiencing, try it out and you'll see how it works. You don't have to click anything unless you want to activate a different window.

It's actually one feature I like a really lot.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That could be what you're experiencing, try it out and you'll see how it works. You don't have to click anything unless you want to activate a different window.

It's actually one feature I like a really lot.

Yea I see what you are saying. It's similar but you are still replacing one window for another. This is not happening with me, except for when I tried what you had mentioned.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM

You were close but not totally right. But you put me on the right track. By trying what you had suggested it got me to take a closer look at the task bar. In the lower right hand corner there is an area that says "show desktop" this is what created my problem. I did not know this feature existed, or for that mater what purpose it really serves. In the past if I wanted to look at the desktop I would have just minimized the browser.

I fell pretty stupid but I'm not sure who should feel more stupid: Me, or the people at HP who should have been smart enough to figure out what my problem was before spending hours on the phone trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

Anyway, thanks

Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,025,952 times
"Show desktop" makes all windows transparent while you hover over it and minimized all windows if you click on it. I guess its similar to minimizing the browser if you only have one window open at a time. "Show Desktop" was introduced in Windows 98 (I think - its been there a LONG time) but at that time it was a Quick Launch icon rather than being part of the TaskBar.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM

26,912 posts, read 38,161,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
You were close but not totally right. But you put me on the right track. By trying what you had suggested it got me to take a closer look at the task bar. In the lower right hand corner there is an area that says "show desktop" this is what created my problem. I did not know this feature existed, or for that mater what purpose it really serves. In the past if I wanted to look at the desktop I would have just minimized the browser.

I fell pretty stupid but I'm not sure who should feel more stupid: Me, or the people at HP who should have been smart enough to figure out what my problem was before spending hours on the phone trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

Anyway, thanks
Don't feel stupid. That "changed" feature messed with a lot of people.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
"Show desktop" makes all windows transparent while you hover over it and minimized all windows if you click on it. I guess its similar to minimizing the browser if you only have one window open at a time. "Show Desktop" was introduced in Windows 98 (I think - its been there a LONG time) but at that time it was a Quick Launch icon rather than being part of the TaskBar.
I never noticed that to make the windows transparent in 98 or XP....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or