Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just find it more convenient to take care of my own back-ups since I don't need some remote company to do that for me, and because I am cheap. I work with a lot of photos and am often retrieving and working on some at a moment's notice.

I imagine that a lot of people prefer to use Carbonite (?) and the rest, and that's fine too. But that's not for me.
There's no reason you can't do both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
There's no reason you can't do both.
I know. I just don't want to because storing data from my computers in a remote site costs money. I can can put this money away until I have enough to buy more hard drives. Even TV cable is a waste of money to me. The guy working at Carbonite is probably real mad at me necause I think he is a big waste of money

Yes, yes, you can call me cheap I fix my computers, house boiler, cars and trucks, lawn tractor, do my won taping, sheetrock and painting, plumbing, carpentry, and electrical. Reload my own ammo, hunt, fish, trap, tune the triggers of my guns, can do floor work (wood, rug, tile). Can weld, sweat copper and such, can drive big rigs with doubles and triples....

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-03-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Well for me, having an additional backup off-site that maintains a long history of deleted files and previous versions of files and doesn't require any of my time is well worth the $10/mo I pay for backing up 4 PCs + a NAS. (account allows up to 10 PCs for the price)

Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I know. I just don't want to because storing data from my computers in a remote site costs money. I can can put this money away until I have enough to buy more hard drives. Even TV cable is a waste of money to me. The guy working at Carbonite is probably real mad at me necause I think he is a big waste of money

Yes, yes, you can call me cheap I fix my computers, house boiler, cars and trucks, lawn tractor, do my won taping, sheetrock and painting, plumbing, carpentry, and electrical. Reload my own ammo, hunt, fish, trap, tune the triggers of my guns, can do floor work (wood, rug, tile). Can weld, sweat copper and such, can drive big rigs with doubles and triples....
I don't find fault with your logic except for the money. I pay $50 a year for unlimited storage.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,445 times
As per my opinion A simple, secure way to protect and restore all the data resident on your Mac from anywhere on the planet is iProtectmac. I had great experience with it.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
I have a SSD for the OS, only thing on that is my contact book and only becsue I can't figure out a way to move it to another drive. Drive D is two drives in SATA1 array that that has all the personal folders like "My Documents" mapped to it. Data loss is unlikely. I have networked drive for backing that up.

I also have other drives for video and pictures. Original DV tapes DVD/Bluray backups of video and pictures are stored in offsite in an undisclosed location with Dick Cheney.

The most important files I have like my keepass file is stored on my own server. On a side note I've also given another keepass file to a very trusted friend, it contains the password for main Keepass file but he doesn't know the password for this file. The only thing he knows is that someone from my family will be contacting him for the file in the event of my untimely death.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
For small text files and/or passwords, I simply e-mail it from one e-mail account to the other and even reply to it so you have in in multiple locations on multiple e-mail accounts. If you cannot get to either one, you know there are bigger, more important things happening in the world!

If you are running a script or an application to backup your data to wherever, make sure to run restore/recover that data once in a while to confirm it has been working as designed.

What good is running a backup if it cannot be recovered? Most applications use some sort of a proprietary file type or compression to backup the data so without actually restoring that backup, it is impossible to confirm anything. That is the main reason I prefer running a standard Windows batch file to backup the data, you can easily browse/explore the backup directory and easily check the data yourself.

If you are using an external drive and you generate new data worthy of backing up on each session, then you should leave the external backup drive always connected and use a script to run the backup.

I often add the
Quote:
shutdown /s /f /t 00
command as the last line to my backup script so it automatically shuts the machine down when it is completed.

To give you an idea, I have included a modified version of the backup script I run on user machines when I am backing up their data onto an external drive or if they have their own external drive, they can place a copy of it on the external drive and run it themselves. This script is geared towards more for multi-user systems where it will display local profiles on Windows XP-7 systems and wait for the person to input (type) the name of the profile to backup. You can see the shutdown command at the very end of each part, so you can launch it and leave. Feel free to modify and use it to your liking or let me know if you have any questions. To use it, change the .txt extension to either .bat or .cmd and save it on the external drive itself then you can create a shortcut to your desktop if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Windows User Data Backup.txt (6.7 KB, 407 views)

Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
opps I was half asleep, that should read RAID1 array instead of SATA1.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:12 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
What good is running a backup if it cannot be recovered? Most applications use some sort of a proprietary file type or compression to backup the data so without actually restoring that backup, it is impossible to confirm anything. That is the main reason I prefer running a standard Windows batch file to backup the data, you can easily browse/explore the backup directory and easily check the data yourself..
I agree wholeheartedly and that is why I use Second Copy. It does not compress files or use a proprietary format. I can go to the back up location and use the file there as if I had made it using copy/paste. As a bonus it runs on Windows Home Server, which is where I'm using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers