U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 PM

28,400 posts, read 48,163,871 times

Advertisements

Why Computers Sometimes Crash! By Dr. Seuss. (Read this to yourself aloud)

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, and the bus is interrupted at a very last resort, and the access of the memory makes your floppy disk abort, then the socket packet pocket has an error to report.

If the label on the cable on the table at your house, says the network is connected to the button on your mouse, but your packets want to tunnel to another protocol, that's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall.

When the copy on your floppy's getting sloppy in the disk, and the macro code instructions is causing unnecessary risk, then you'll have to flash the memory and you'll want to RAM your ROM, and then quickly turn off the computer and be sure to tell your Mom!

Well, that certainly clears things up for me. How about you?

Thank you Bill Gates, for bringing all this into our lives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,279,158 times
Why do computers really crash - one word "Windows."

Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,335,610 times
They crash because windows sucks. Get a mac.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:58 PM

615 posts, read 797,025 times
Haha, that was funny. But, yeah, get a Mac

Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,747,082 times
That was good...... All OS's can crash though,that isnt limited to windows.....

Old 08-17-2012, 06:45 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Wow, a 5 year old pointless thread brought back to life...

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM

34,317 posts, read 59,648,976 times
5 year old thread.....

Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 AM

7,383 posts, read 8,003,115 times
Since it has been brought back to life, I'll leave a quote of a friend of mine that's been a network engineer for as far back as I can remember:

"Why do they call it Windows? Because it breaks."

Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,707,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Since it has been brought back to life, I'll leave a quote of a friend of mine that's been a network engineer for as far back as I can remember:

"Why do they call it Windows? Because it breaks."
False, this is why they call it Windows:

Quote:
At the Fall 1982 Comdex convention in Las Vegas, Bill Gates saw a demo of a new integrated software system called VisiOn, from VisiCorp of VisiCalc fame, which featured a primitive graphical user interface, displayed applications in windows, used a mouse for navigation, and it was running on an IBM PC. Fearing that VisiOn might easily supersede DOS and VisiCorp could potentially replace Microsoft as IBM's partner, Gates learned as much about VisiOn as he could and proceeded to oversee the development of a competing operating system product he dubbed "Interface Manager."

As the operating system progressed through the development cycle, the name stuck as Gates and other Microsoft employees had become attached to it. That is until Rowland Hanson, a veteran marketing wiz who had taken on the role of crafting Microsoft's public image, had devised a marketing campaign designed to make Microsoft a brand name by using the company name as the generic first name of every one of the company's products. He also redirected the naming of the software products to using a product name that communicated product tasks or features. For example, "Microsoft Word" became the name for the company's word processing software.

When Hanson saw Interface Manager and was tasked with developing a marketing campaign, he immediately recognized that the main feature of the product were the windows that you saw on the screen and used as the new tools to perform your work. As such, to Hanson the logical name for the product was "Windows" and the rest is history, as they say.
Windows Vista: What's in a name? | TechRepublic

That analogy doesn't hold water because windows don't break on their own, it requires some sort of provocation.. like a less-than-adept user perhaps...

Pretty sure the sticky at the top of this forum says something about not bashing mac/windows..... hmm...

Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM

7,383 posts, read 8,003,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
False, this is why they call it Windows:

Windows Vista: What's in a name? | TechRepublic

That analogy doesn't hold water because windows don't break on their own, it requires some sort of provocation.. like a less-than-adept user perhaps...

Pretty sure the sticky at the top of this forum says something about not bashing mac/windows..... hmm...
Sorry, I assumed that people would take my post for what it was, a joke. In a thread that was started as a joke. At least, I assume it was a joke. I'm fairly sure that Dr. Seuss didn't write any technical help books on Windows, anyway. I guess not everyone's sense of humor is working.

To clarify, I already knew the history of Windows software, and I actually prefer Windows over any other OS for everyday use. However, that doesn't mean that Windows is flawless, nor is your comment that Windows doesn't break on its own correct. I've seen installations of Windows break over security updates, which has nothing to do with user ineptness and everything to do with bad coding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or