U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,112,742 times

Advertisements

Four days ago my computer (HP5550 lap top) did not recognize when the power cord wa plugged in and continued to run on battery. A thorough examination of the cord and outlet showed it to be in working condition. After messing around with it i found that if i shut the computer down and remove th battery...wait a few minutes and reconnect everything it would work. Anycase it has continued to happen. I am not convinced it is a hardware problem but am looking for advise.

Yesterday when turning on the computer i get a black screen with the following warning:

SMAR FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 2 ST9120821AS-(S1)

WARNING: IMMEDIATLY BACK-UP YOUR DATE AND REPLACE YOUR HARD DRIVE A FAILURE MAY BE IMMINENT.

KEY F1 TO CONTINUE START UP.

I thinking it all may be one in the ame problem. It has continued with the same warning on start up but so far my computer is still running. I have started to back everything up.

Anyone have similiar experience or know what this problem is. before i sink $300 into fixing this I'd like to know how serious it is.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
Sounds like a hard drive problem alright. How old is your laptop ? I personally would never sing $300 into a laptop when you can buy a pretty good brand new one for $600+ dollars.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,279,158 times
I agree with BrianH - I would backup that puppy asap.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 AM

11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Many computers come with hard disk health monitors built in. The hard disk may be failing. Backing up you data is prudent.

Here's one way to test the power issue. Run the battery down, then shut the computer down and plug it in. Wait long enough for it to charge. Unplug and start back up to check the battery charge. That way, all the charging activity is done with the computer turned off, eliminating any software issues.

That being said, there are a number of laptops that have developed problems with the charging circuits or the power connectors. One of the regulars on this forum lives in NH and works on laptops regularly.

BTW: there is no need to format the hard disk to check it for errors.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 AM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Many computers come with hard disk health monitors built in. The hard disk may be failing. Backing up you data is prudent.

Here's one way to test the power issue. Run the battery down, then shut the computer down and plug it in. Wait long enough for it to charge. Unplug and start back up to check the battery charge. That way, all the charging activity is done with the computer turned off, eliminating any software issues.

That being said, there are a number of laptops that have developed problems with the charging circuits or the power connectors. One of the regulars on this forum lives in NH and works on laptops regularly.

BTW: there is no need to format the hard disk to check it for errors.
Agreed. The best advice I can give anyone on this forum is to ignore any advice given by someone who's first response is "format and reinstall". These people do not know what they are talking about. And I don't just mean a first-time poster. I mean anyone that gives this as a first response to a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or