Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 PM

455 posts, read 898,083 times

Advertisements

My desktop is completely bare. I use RocketDock to organize my icons, however those icons are simply jump-off points to certain locations. For instance, I'll have an icon for each of my 5 hard drives, one for the trash bin, one for Chrome, one for my downloads location, one for photoshop, one for my music program, one for a temp "stuff" folder, etc.

Basically, all the things I do with any frequency are in the dock. I like the dock because it keeps everything in order and stays in that order. I can quickly navigate to a location and know exactly where the icon is without having to scan through a screen full of different icons, half of which may be irrelevant to what I do with any frequency.

To me, there is little benefit to having a screen filled with icons. The only scenario I can imagine where it would be beneficial is if your computer is so slow that it saves time to have a direct link to all possible locations there on your screen, without having to drill down through a folder structure for something specific you may want to access every once in a while. And personally, if your computer is slow enough for that to be a factor, then it's really time for a new PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
My desktop is completely bare. I use RocketDock to organize my icons, however those icons are simply jump-off points to certain locations. For instance, I'll have an icon for each of my 5 hard drives, one for the trash bin, one for Chrome, one for my downloads location, one for photoshop, one for my music program, one for a temp "stuff" folder, etc.
In other words these "jump-off points" are called "links" or "shortcuts" in computer lingo...

So with this RocketDock instead of individual icons you have bars of icons...

Reminds me a whole lot of an OS X/CDE desktop..

Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM

455 posts, read 898,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
In other words these "jump-off points" are called "links" or "shortcuts" in computer lingo...

So with this RocketDock instead of individual icons you have bars of icons...

Reminds me a whole lot of an OS X/CDE desktop..
Yes. Shortcuts. But it's a single horizontal bar containing my most-accessed items and drives. Maybe I'm a minimalist, but it's around 12 or 13. I just value the idea of having a link to a pictures folder, rather than having all the pictures on the desktop, for instance. (I have seen this before...)

Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
Yes. Shortcuts. But it's a single horizontal bar containing my most-accessed items and drives. Maybe I'm a minimalist, but it's around 12 or 13. I just value the idea of having a link to a pictures folder, rather than having all the pictures on the desktop, for instance. (I have seen this before...)
You want to talk minimalist? Look at mine, post #11....

Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,365,731 times
If you look at the icons on my desktop that says Games and Tools, they're really folders. I guess I'm a minimalist too but I don't do much beside games and browsing. Also I collect DVD movies so I have a database for it.

By the way plwhit, cool pic on your desktop.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
You want to talk minimalist? Look at mine, post #11....
Way too busy for my taste! All them clouds, sails and waves....too much going on!
I got seasick looking at your desktop!

Imho, the cleanest would be a desktop with no icons and the freq. used apps shortcuts places on Taskbar.
What MS should have done is something similar to Stardock's Fences app where a user can group desktop icons so even if you have a ton of shortcuts, by looking under the applicable group, finding one would be a snap.

Fences (free version).
There are also freeware alternatives to spice up your desktop!

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-04-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,868,888 times
New current desktop
Attached Thumbnails
Post your Desktop (Screenshot thread)-screen-shot-2013-02-06-10.05.49.png  

Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
New current desktop
I *LOVE* your wallpaper! Then again, I really love Legos, so...

Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,461 times
Lots of great posts, the old windows really brings back memories and netscape navigator! I have a linux server installed on my laptop with a KDE environment so I could actually figure out what was going on. I'm more of a windows person. I currently have the same background image, but my desktop is way more cluttered. After I come back home I'm planning on hopefully fixing this and I'll update later today. Anymore freeware to help the old cluttered desktop people would be really appreciated! Those who posted links already, I'll check them out this afternoon .

I named this.. "Clutter.jpg".

Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
If you must see:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers