U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,121,349 times

Advertisements

Looks like Intel will stop manufacturing motherboards for Desktop PC Towers within three years. Other companies will continue to manufacture motherboards. But wasn't there a thread in here (late Nov 2012) about Intel no longer creating processors that are socketed for motherboards. So let me get this straight, if Intel is ending its socketed processors and is no longer going to be manufacturing motherboards within three years, will Intel just be out of the motherboard/processor business for Desktop Towered PCs? So when I buy a new tower Desktop PC, I will see a motherboard from Gigabyte or Asus with a processor from AMD...something like that, without anything from Intel. So obviously, the tower desktop PC will not be obsolete in three years, so what will the effects of Intel's decision have on the industry? Discuss and debate.

Intel to wind down desktop circuit board business | Business Tech - CNET News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,498,906 times
That's too bad. I've always liked their boards. Very easy to setup and very stable.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,121,349 times
Looks like AMD is not doing too well. Are they the next to go?

AMD limps through Q4, and 2013 doesn't look much better | Business Tech - CNET News

Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,206,942 times
My guess is that Asus and other motherboard manufacturers will sell motherboards with CPUs sautered on.

Facebook is developing a new architecture where the CPU is sautered onto a PCIE board and motherboard have PCIE slots instead of sockets. They're focusing on a more modular approach that makes it easy to upgrade server hardware. I wonder if that will trickle down into desktops.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 PM

10,979 posts, read 23,638,727 times
Intel will let ASUS and Gigabyte make the MOBO's and continue to sell their Desktop Server/Gaming processors at a premium since AMD FX line will need to drop down to 28nm and if they can get the same hyper threading and performance to that of the 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge-E then a next gen unlocked Desktop AMD-8 Core processor priced under $250 that puts out i7-3930K for performance then AMD would be huge in picking up Intel's abandoned gaming Desk top and home Server CPU buyers.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM

52,269 posts, read 30,359,305 times
There's also the possibility of another company, like Gigabyte or ASUS, buying the motherboard/processor division of Intel.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,054,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My guess is that Asus and other motherboard manufacturers will sell motherboards with CPUs sautered on.

Facebook is developing a new architecture where the CPU is sautered onto a PCIE board and motherboard have PCIE slots instead of sockets. They're focusing on a more modular approach that makes it easy to upgrade server hardware. I wonder if that will trickle down into desktops.
You mean "soldered" on. Pronounced "sodder".

Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM

24,497 posts, read 36,206,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You mean "soldered" on. Pronounced "sodder".
Yes, solder. Damn, I should have caught that one.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,054,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
There's also the possibility of another company, like Gigabyte or ASUS, buying the motherboard/processor division of Intel.
No there isn't.

PC related components is 64% of Intel's business. Why on earth would Intel sell the processor part of their business???? Motherboards are probably a small portion of that. Intel's core business, the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE COMPANY is processors.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM

494 posts, read 1,474,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Looks like Intel will stop manufacturing motherboards for Desktop PC Towers within three years. Other companies will continue to manufacture motherboards. But wasn't there a thread in here (late Nov 2012) about Intel no longer creating processors that are socketed for motherboards. So let me get this straight, if Intel is ending its socketed processors and is no longer going to be manufacturing motherboards within three years, will Intel just be out of the motherboard/processor business for Desktop Towered PCs? So when I buy a new tower Desktop PC, I will see a motherboard from Gigabyte or Asus with a processor from AMD...something like that, without anything from Intel. So obviously, the tower desktop PC will not be obsolete in three years, so what will the effects of Intel's decision have on the industry? Discuss and debate.

Intel to wind down desktop circuit board business | Business Tech - CNET News
To be honest, not much of an effect. Intel boards were usually way cheaper than then competition as they generally didn't offer a whole lot, but got the job done and were stable. It is why intel boards were immensely popular with OEM builders. Asus and Gigabyte mobos are popular with personal system builders and gamers because they offer a bit more and are generally geared more towards that market. Having said that, either company, or another company, can just as easily make similar boards for OEMs for probably the same cost and stability.

Intel will be fine without this business as their processors is where they make the bulk of their profits anyway. I don't foresee this decision have any effect on what they play to do with their processor lineup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers