Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Where's the logic in that?
The "logic" is that Microsoft is fighting for their lives in the Tablet and Phone area. This is their last ditch attempt to not get completely knocked out in those 2 areas.
Metro is never going away. They are going to beat you up until you cave in and sign up for that MS ID. Once you have that? Hmmm Angry Birds for $0.99 cents in the MS App Store? OK I'll buy that. And another app. And another app. Then your phone contract is up. Time to buy a new phone. O wait.. you mean if I get a Windows Phone, all those apps I bought on my PC will automagically show up???

I do NOT get MS blaming PC companies for a failure when every where I look is some device running Win8.
I do not see a shortage of devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Why Microsoft continues to force things on the consumer is beyond me. They should have learned their lesson ages ago. Just look at every other OS they have come out with that had MAJOR bugs and issues with (e.g. Vista). XP was just fine but no, they had to come out with Vista to make it look more trendy and it sucked. Windows 7 was good but no, Windows 8 with all the wacky features, had to be released to give the consumer a new OS that actually no one really wanted. Where's the logic in that?

Microsoft users are generally poor at adaption and accepting change.

Personally as a Mac user, I like Windows 8 and think it was moving MS in the right direction. Too bad MS hasn't yet figured out the psychology of their customer base.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

Personally as a Mac user, I like Windows 8 and think it was moving MS in the right direction. Too bad MS hasn't yet figured out the psychology of their customer base.
There's no need to turn this into a Windows vs Mac user thing. Users in general are poor at accepting change.

There's a reason OS X 10.8 looks basically the same as OS X 10.0. And there's a reason iOS 6 looks basically the same as iOS 1. There's a reason Microsoft stuck with the same basic interface since the 1990s.

New features and interface ideas need to be introduced gradually, lest the new product be seen as confusing. Microsoft's past release model has made that impossible.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
There's no need to turn this into a Windows vs Mac user thing. Users in general are poor at accepting change.

There's a reason OS X 10.8 looks basically the same as OS X 10.0. And there's a reason iOS 6 looks basically the same as iOS 1. There's a reason Microsoft stuck with the same basic interface since the 1990s.

New features and interface ideas need to be introduced gradually, lest the new product be seen as confusing. Microsoft's past release model has made that impossible.
its not a windows vs mac thing. If you read my post, I said as a Mac user, i was very impressed by Windows 8.

When Mac released the original version of OSX it was an entirely different OS. Most users had to buy entirely new applications. New Mac computers could not run OS9 and below. Apple gave the user no choice but to adapt.

As I said, MS failed to take in the psychology of their customers.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I like change when its a good change in the right direction. I like change when it makes me more productive. I don't like change for change's sake or change that takes productivity backwards 20 years.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM

632 posts, read 1,179,790 times
I get the points everyone is making but why did MS need to make Windows 8 for laptops and desktops when they could have left it for the phone only. Personally, I think its not bad on a phone but on a traditional, no-touch desktop...its dumb.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Office Depot has been running ads for a huge sale of all Windows 8 products, a hundred off on a tablet. Kinda suggests it isn't selling too well. Stores have set up displays and let people play with it hoping for more sales, but the basic situation Microsoft doesn't want to admit is an awful lot of people DO NOT LIKE IT and will not spend the money on it. As some are still running xp, this shows that you don't have to rush to the next 'improvement' no matter what microsoft says.

Some people use computers to do facebook and games. Many others have more diverse uses. I run all my music off the computer to the drv and speakers while doing other thngs. The start button is a case in point. Why NOT have a central control hub which doesn't require a window? Why break what wasn't broken?

I have no desire to relearn things, and don't want a mac. But if I were to buy a tablet, it wouldn't be one with Win 8 just on principal.

How many people are taking their savings at Office Depot, and taking the new system to a shop and having 8 wiped and 7 put in its place?
Since the first of the year, I've wiped 8 and installed 7 on brand new, out of the box desktops for 11 different people. Seems to be a trend.

Quote:
Why Microsoft continues to force things on the consumer is beyond me. They should have learned their lesson ages ago. Just look at every other OS they have come out with that had MAJOR bugs and issues with (e.g. Vista). XP was just fine but no, they had to come out with Vista to make it look more trendy and it sucked. Windows 7 was good but no, Windows 8 with all the wacky features, had to be released to give the consumer a new OS that actually no one really wanted. Where's the logic in that?
It goes even farther back than that. Windows 98 was good, ME was terrible, XP was good, Vista was full of bugs, 7 is great, 8 has the worst user interface for a desktop that I've ever seen. I've long operated on the theory that every other version of Windows is a catastrophic failure.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
I get the points everyone is making but why did MS need to make Windows 8 for laptops and desktops when they could have left it for the phone only. Personally, I think its not bad on a phone but on a traditional, no-touch desktop...its dumb.
I agree. A slightly different handling of it and it's a home run.
If I ran MS and we were doing "Metro" I would have done this:

Win8 Tablets
Win8 Phones
Convertible Laptop: Open it like a laptop and there is Win7. Instead of the Desktop Gadgets on the right side would be a "Metro Bar" with Live Tiles. Click on something there to go into Metro. -or- Twist your screen around, fold it up and it's a Win8 Metro Tablet.
My users could have their cake, and eat it too.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I agree. A slightly different handling of it and it's a home run.
If I ran MS and we were doing "Metro" I would have done this:

Win8 Tablets
Win8 Phones
Convertible Laptop: Open it like a laptop and there is Win7. Instead of the Desktop Gadgets on the right side would be a "Metro Bar" with Live Tiles. Click on something there to go into Metro. -or- Twist your screen around, fold it up and it's a Win8 Metro Tablet.
My users could have their cake, and eat it too.
Or at least give users the choice of how they'd like their device to work. I really like the approach Start8 takes. You can have as much or as little of Metro as you like. Like you said, a slightly different handling of the desktop/Metro integration and Win8 can be a home run. They don't need to scrap it and start over. They just need to give their users an option like they've always done in the past.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If Microslop would have created an interface that the average user was comfortable with the sales probably would have doubled. I'd love to know how many people went looking for a new PC before Christmas saw Win8, and walked away.
I'm one of those people who was looking for two new computers for Christmas one for me one for my kid and saw Win8 at Best Buy, was horrified because all my experience with Windows OS would be thrown out the door, so I bought a Macbook Pro for my kid, and bought a mint condition used Window 7 notebook for myself off Craigslist...my kid would never have been able to use Win8 (very used to Mac though) so I paid the premium for a Mac just so my kid could be productive without the Win8 learning curve, and as for me, I know I would have thrown the Win8 computer out the window due to frustration at learning something so different so I just got a good used notebook with the tried and true old OS. I will never buy any Win8 variant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers