Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times

Advertisements

My set up for awhile has been an upgraded as much as possible ancient eMAc cube computer as a back up with a netbook as my "main" computer
All I do is surf (facebook, google everything, you tube etc.) email and the occassional letter or ppt ad for the work bulletin board.
I would like to donate the eMAC to the Goodwill and get a cheap desktop PC to be my
backup. I feel I need a backup because one or the other won't print, gets a virus or some other problem so with a backup I can google a fix for the broke machine on the other.
So.....don't need a lot of storage memory or fancy game card but I would like something with a reliable reputation, easy set up, small footprint a plus.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,153,276 times
My recommendation would be a tablet instead of another computer.

An iPad would cover all the bases: e-mail, search the net, "youtube"/videos/movies, create and print newsletters and the like. You would need an ePrint printer that's "AirPrint" compatible, and the "Pages" app. The list of printers that would allow you to print anything you see on the screen is available at Apple. Most new printers are listed there.

Other than that, people who use other than the iPad should be able to tell you the things they can do with their tablets. I don't have an iPad (my wife does), but she stopped using her computer once I bought an iPad for her. I use a couple of PC's, desktop Macs, plus a MacBook Pro.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
Not interested in a tablet. For one I want a bigger screen for those times when I'm using google earth or something and my netbook is too small. For another I don't like typing on a tablet. Please no more tablet recommendations.

Any comments on something like this? 3 stars though the same looking Dell version has slightly better reviews.

HP Pavilion 20" AllInOne Computer 4GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive 20-b014 - Best Buy

I like the large screen and small footprint. Is there something I would get with a a regular tower style that I'm missing here? CD drive? Lower price for more speed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers