Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times

Advertisements

In another thread I said I bet alot of us own more than one OS because some are good for specific stuff, others for others. I was hoping to make a list here on C-D showing alot of pros and cons of each OS (well, the well-known ones) out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
one corporation sort of can't be one thing to all people. I've noticed even individuals who don't own just one brand (and that's like 95 percent of us I imagine!) prefer their Apple for abc, their Android for xyz, their Windows for lmnop. It reminds me of the old Greek mythical tale of the peacock who pleaded to Zeus to give him the voice of the nightingale simply because he felt he deserved both strengths, and Zeus refused.
My List: (please add because I know I'm missing traits, and comment Thanks)

Microsoft (mobile and non-mobile): Daily business software

iOS and Mountin Lion: streaming video, Lightroom, etc.

Android: instant notifications, free apps

Blackberry: messaging (supposedly)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM

455 posts, read 898,444 times
Linux
Pros: Superior stability and security all in a free, open-source platform. Great for servers, good for business and home use.
Cons: Learning curve. Also mainstream software may not be supported.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 AM

do they do mobile too?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM

455 posts, read 898,444 times
Quote:
do they do mobile too?
Yep.
https://www.linux.com/news/embedded-...e-with-android

Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
do they do mobile too?
There's minimal traction of Linux on mobile devices. As of right now, it's pretty much a non-contender.

Android is a JVM that runs on top of Linux. Since it doesn't run Linux software it is not considered a Linux distro.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's minimal traction of Linux on mobile devices. As of right now, it's pretty much a non-contender.

Android is a JVM that runs on top of Linux. Since it doesn't run Linux software it is not considered a Linux distro.
Android is a VM like Java, but it runs .dex files which are Dalvik bytecode, not Java bytecode .jar files.

You can use Java source to generate Dalvik bytecode, however, as most developers do, and the Dalvik VM is based on Java's VM, but it's different enough architecturally that I'm not sure you can call it a JVM.

Android is also more than just the Dalvik VM on a hybridized Linux kernel. You can access some C/C++ libraries on an Android platform, media libraries, Freetype, etc.

Developer & Technical Articles/Notes: Android Runtime Concepts/Dalvik VM/Linux Kernel/ Application Fundamentals

Old 02-04-2013, 04:29 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
I'd think people who own a Apple product are more likely to own other Apple products. And this would be a choice.

And those who own Microsoft do so because they have to and are familiar with it. They are more likely to use Android or Apple devices because those tablets and phones are "better" than Windows phone is currently.

Make no bones about it: The Big 3, Microsoft, Google, Apple, definitely want to be all things to all people.

All are pretty much equal in terms of what they can do, the OS is just a skin. The hardware is all the same.

So what you have now is a battle for services (like the cloud) and a cohesive experience between devices.

This niche experience is going away. Yes in the IT world, you're probably better learning Unix/Windows, and if you're in a creative field (even though you're using Adobe) you're probably using a Mac. But these are all antiquated distinctions IMO for the average user.

I think you can only talk generally about design and even devices like the Kindle Fire HD, Nexus 7, and Surface are right up there with Apple in terms of build quality.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM

thanks. but out of curiosity, who here has iOS and Android and possibly a 3rd OS in their life by choice?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
thanks. but out of curiosity, who here has iOS and Android and possibly a 3rd OS in their life by choice?
I have an iOS phone (iPhone 4) which I'm actually quite fond of. My wife has an Android phone which she likes. Does that count?

Other than that, I have both Windows and Linux machines at home for different tasks. I usually use one or the other on the desktop, but the media server is Linux (Xubuntu+XBMC), and my main fileserver is also Linux (run via ROM on a Buffalo LinkStation). I also have a headless fileserver running Win2K, but it's not on all the time anymore.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post

Make no bones about it: The Big 3, Microsoft, Google, Apple, definitely want to be all things to all people.
But there are 200 million of us, isnt that plenty to go around? "A friend to all is a friend to none" (Someone said that- good old Benjamin Franklin or someone like that)

To want to be all things to all people is unrealistic, and a recipe for disaster. And it reeks of greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers