Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:01 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,433,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. As the owner of a G3 and a G4, both laptops, I am very reluctant to buy another one now. But, your suggestions are worth exploring.
Dear ontheroad, Macs might be expensive, but they are worth every penny!

I went to Dell's website and assembled a laptop with similar specs than mine and it was about 700 dollars more expensive, that made me go for da Mac

I have a macbook pro, that I bought this year I use it for music production and it's a powerhouse, I never had a computer that didn't let me down, usually most start complaining when the track is about 50% completion and you need to convert your MIDI channels and FX channels to digital audio, with this puter I can finish an entire track just with MIDI, simply awesome!!

I've tried to do it on PC's with vista and similar specs than mine, but they fall short about 80% of the track I guess that it is because Vista, although pretty is a resource leech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I am a longtime OS X / Powerbook user (since 10.1) who is thinking about going back to Windows for my next machine (Thinkpad T60). I love the Mac but unfortunately I need a true workhorse which meets my needs a bit better (software developement in C# / ASP.NET). I've toyed with the idea of dual-booting into Windows via Bootcamp... but that's an expensive way to go.
Try giving VMWare Fusion a try - you can have your OS X AND your MS OS of choice at the same time. You will need to beef up your machine though...
I have a MacBook Pro with 3Gigs of RAM. It works fine with OS X, XP and Kubuntu running all at the same time (granted the XP and Kubuntu isn't really used too much.. just running network monitors and other tools).

I don't know how much it is now, but when it first came out, Fusion was 1/2 price ... like $50 or something like that. Its a great virtualization software. You can test it for like 60 days I believe.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:46 PM

324 posts, read 1,285,070 times
I've used Macs all my life and I do love them! Especially after a long day programming at work on a Windows... So over the summer we got one of the new 24" iMacs with 3G of RAM. This was an upgrade from a 1Ghz eMac. I'm thrilled . Now we just need Leopard, max out the RAM, Aperture, Adobe Photoshop, Sims, ack! Did I mention we are saving for a down-payment on a house? I think we won't be doing any more upgrade for a long time except maybe Leopard so I can feel safe and sound with backups.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 AM

369 posts, read 1,959,936 times
I have a Mac and find there are some websites that I cannot access. I have to then use my PC. Why is this the case, and is there a way around it that I am unaware of? It makes it hard to switch to Mac entirely...thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,054,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
I have a Mac and find there are some websites that I cannot access. I have to then use my PC. Why is this the case, and is there a way around it that I am unaware of? It makes it hard to switch to Mac entirely...thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.
In over a year in perusing just about all corners of the web, I have not found any site at all that I could not access via my Apples. However, with that said, I wonder if you are instead having an issue w/ the browser itself, or possibly the settings of what you are using? I exclusively use FF, on rare occasions Safari, and then very very rarely IE, which I must use to access my employer's site, as it requires this sluggish browser . Would be interested to know what sites you can't visit?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:03 AM

369 posts, read 1,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
In over a year in perusing just about all corners of the web, I have not found any site at all that I could not access via my Apples. However, with that said, I wonder if you are instead having an issue w/ the browser itself, or possibly the settings of what you are using? I exclusively use FF, on rare occasions Safari, and then very very rarely IE, which I must use to access my employer's site, as it requires this sluggish browser . Would be interested to know what sites you can't visit?
Realtor.com, shutterfly.com and certain blogs on Xanga to name a few off the top of my head...I can get to the site and then they are blank...What is FF? I know that I have Safari too...

Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
Realtor.com, shutterfly.com and certain blogs on Xanga to name a few off the top of my head...I can get to the site and then they are blank...What is FF? I know that I have Safari too...
Will check those tonight. I know I've been to realtor and shutterfly via FF - will try again to make sure [both Safari and FF] - maybe somethings changed. FF = FireFox, bestest and fastest and smoothest and steadiest and sweetest i'net browser... IMNSHO... Version 2.0.0.9 is out, and it rocks. You are visiting these w/ Safari when you have the blank pages?

Visit Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable for more info on this browser.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:25 PM

715 posts, read 1,148,991 times
Default mac OS - Leopard

We were thinking of getting the family pack Leopard upgrade for our Macs (Powerbook, Macbook, etc...) but I've read reports of some problems when installing Leopard. The "Blue Screen of Death" even!
Mac OS X 10.5: "Blue screen" appears after installing Leopard and restarting

I think we'll wait for a few months till they get sorted out.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:28 PM

468 posts, read 1,636,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
We were thinking of getting the family pack Leopard upgrade for our Macs (Powerbook, Macbook, etc...) but I've read reports of some problems when installing Leopard. The "Blue Screen of Death" even!
Mac OS X 10.5: "Blue screen" appears after installing Leopard and restarting

I think we'll wait for a few months till they get sorted out.
10.5.1 was just released this morning. It should sort it out...

I mean, it works for like 95% of the people who install Leopard. You have to remember people only complain when there's a problem. You will be fine installing it.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 PM

dougnaie,

Using FF on my MB [MacBook], got into and bungled around within realtor, shutterful, xango... no problems at all.

Using Safari, again, no issues.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers