U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 PM

182 posts, read 732,616 times

Advertisements

WELL, isn't this a breath of fresh air ...Others bragging about their Macs ..
and not Windows...
i started on the internet in 98 .. on webtv .. (Yeah , i know . .i didn't know anything about puters')
well, i met a lotta people thru that little k/bd .. and one of them was a true MAC lover .. we became Net friends and he couldnt' wait for me to lose that damn webtv .

he looked up a computer repair shop in my area. . he was in n.mex .. and i was in fla,, talked to the guy that owned the shop . told him about me .found out what 'used' macs were for sale and how much . got me directions, it was about 3 miles from my house,
and i went and bought it . .1998 imac, it was an os9 .. but i eventually had it updated to an osx and tomorrow, i am getting the same exact imac that has been updated to a Tiger. . 10.4

i am not a puter nerd . i only wanted something for emails .. i still have my brand new printer sitting in the closet ,cause i never could get it to work . .(and it did at one time on my webtv .. epsom,, which i was told was compatiable with my mac)
tomorrow, the tiger is coming by UPS .. and i have to transfer all the stuff that i've accumulated in my old mac to the new one ..Opps. . used /new one ..

i'm apprehensive about doing that by myself. . but i hooked up the Mac by myself almost 10 yrs ago . after only knowing webtv .. so i'm pretty sure with my net friend's help. . online , i'll get er' done .
thanks for this msg. bd. . i'll be back . to bother y'all with questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 AM

369 posts, read 1,817,697 times
Unhappy What am I doing wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
dougnaie,

Using FF on my MB [MacBook], got into and bungled around within realtor, shutterful, xango... no problems at all.

Using Safari, again, no issues.

That is so strange to me. I admit that I am no computer genius, but if I type a website into the bar at the top, I just want to get there, you know? Do I need to go to the Safari icon and search from there? As far as FF goes, is that something I need to purchase, or is it already on my Mac and I am just unaware...sorry to be so unknowledgeable about all this, but new to Mac and just learning. I really appreciate you taking the time to help!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,953,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post

That is so strange to me. I admit that I am no computer genius, but if I type a website into the bar at the top, I just want to get there, you know? Do I need to go to the Safari icon and search from there? As far as FF goes, is that something I need to purchase, or is it already on my Mac and I am just unaware...sorry to be so unknowledgeable about all this, but new to Mac and just learning. I really appreciate you taking the time to help!
No problem

Firefox is free Just go to the link Mozilla Downloads and install properly.

As to your search, I wonder again if this is not something w/ (a) your browser [Safari] settings and/or (b) your internet provider, speed, connection, settings, etc. - or something else not thinking of.

So, when you type in, for example realtor.com, what happens? Just a totally blank page, partial page, or ? Get a spinning colour wheel of death?

Are you on cable, FiOS, phone, dish, smoke signals?

Will check my Apples tonight and see what else might come to mind.

Patience and fortitude, 'eh?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 8,199,855 times
dougnaie - there are sites that are simply not tested on all browsers. I'm not saying those that you listed are culprits. But in general, when a website is developed, the developers will test them with the mainstream browsers (IE, Mozilla, and starting to see more Safari).. what happens is that not all code is "standard".
But if you take Shadow's advice and use Firefox, that should solve almost all of your problems.

If nothing else, one advantage with a Mac is many of the spyware/adwares out there will not work (although this is starting to change as OS X is picking up marketshare).
Not bashing any other OS's... But they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:50 PM

468 posts, read 1,525,350 times
If you have a weaker computer, I would stay clear of Firefox. It runs slow on my machine and takes up significant amounts of resources. I've switched to Camino, which is Firefox but a lot lighter, and I love it. Opera is another good option...

Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 AM

369 posts, read 1,817,697 times
Thank all, for helping me navigate this problem - I am going to spend some time this weekend and attempt some of the solutions you offered. I really love my Mac, and would love to be able to use it exclusively...hope your suggestions allow me to do so. I'll let you know how it goes - wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or