U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:01 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,565,326 times

Advertisements

don't you just love it?

Unix rock solid rock stability, performance, security and flexibility.
Micro Kernel Architecture.
Beautiful Aqua interfase 100% customizable because it's PDF based.

it's got everything!! it has what geeks want, it has what designers and artists want.

weak spots?

not much games for it.
lack of a lot of cool nifty apps for Windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,680,940 times
Um.....Ya, I do love it! I'm not very high tech, but that's one of the reasons I love Apple so much: I don't need to be!! the interface meets me right where I am in my understanding, and many hours of pleasant computing result.

I *did* also purchace Tiger: The Missing Manual.. by David Pogue and little by little am learning more stuff.

Now I just need to figure out if it is worth it (for me) to get Leopard.....anyone?

Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 PM

468 posts, read 1,525,513 times
Leopard comes out on Friday, and I am beyond excited!

Macrina, it is DEFINITELY worth it! It's $20 off from Amazon (I believe), with a ton of new and updated features:

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features

Just read it...I'm drooling for it already!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 AM

me too!! LOL

Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,014,653 times
Default Its my favorite OS apart from Linux

Gots to luv that Mac OS .... !!!

===================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
don't you just love it?

Unix rock solid rock stability, performance, security and flexibility.
Micro Kernel Architecture.
Beautiful Aqua interfase 100% customizable because it's PDF based.

it's got everything!! it has what geeks want, it has what designers and artists want.

weak spots?

not much games for it.
lack of a lot of cool nifty apps for Windows.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,954,773 times
Quite I think Leopard shall be. However, I've waited this long, will wait a few more moon cycles before acquiring it - too many past 'problems/issues' with the "first" models off the floor, ya know? I'll let the others be the guinea cats on this, thank you very much... Seriously, Tiger is stable and great, ahead of any so called competition [], but Leopard will be [if true to what has been said so far] massively awesome.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,840,436 times
I'm with you Shadow....I'm going to hold off for a bit and see what happens

That being said I'm not a techie in any sense of the word....and just could never seem to catch on to some of the windows stuff....it seemed sooooo much harder than what it needed to be. I bought a Mac 2 years ago, and I can't tell you how quickly I went from feeling like a complete idiot about my computer to feeling like I could do anything I wanted! Amazing.....I've kept up with all the updates, and except for some strange glitch with one of the ITunes updates (it was later corrected, can't remember what it was now) I've never been happier!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 10-22-2007 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: yup....

Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM

9,356 posts, read 16,142,421 times
Major OSX lover here, Unix is so powerful, but honestly I never really need it unless I want to kill a process or something (Activity Monitor will do the same).

Mac Os X is great for everyone, from a 3 yr old kid, everyday non-technical user to a Software Engineer.

It just works.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,680,940 times
Post . . .

I'm with you, Molly & Shadow: going to wait for awhile on Leopard. Actually am still getting acclimated to Tiger, having come the far distance from 9.5.2
And you know? for my uses, I don't know if I'll need Leopard, though I might want it...

Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I'm with you, Molly & Shadow: going to wait for awhile on Leopard. Actually am still getting acclimated to Tiger, having come the far distance from 9.5.2
And you know? for my uses, I don't know if I'll need Leopard, though I might want it...
Well, apple's products have some kind of charm that makes you desire them hehehehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or