Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:22 AM

53 posts, read 139,525 times

Advertisements

This guy trolls them lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sOdqCW33fo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,651,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Scumbags is right. And, when I'm in the mood I first string along for a while, then I begin telling them what ------------------------------------------------------------- they are. I had one guy that I actually thought was going to cry.

And with such calls, if a number is available, I call them about 25 times. That gets them really upset.
Except, when you do that, you are most likely calling a spoofed phone number which might possibly belong to some random poor schmo in East Nunchucks, who has no idea that someone has just acquired his phone number to use on victims' caller IDs.

In addition, sometimes if you call the phone number you see on your caller ID, it will forward you to another country, and you end up paying the international long distance rates PLUS whatever fee they charge to connect to their service.

If you get a spam/scam call, just hang up. Your best bet is to not engage in conversation with them at all. DOn't say a word. As SOON as some guy with a foreign accent says "Hello Maam this is John from.." hang up.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:15 PM

10,906 posts, read 5,879,127 times
So what do they hope to gain? I've one such caller here in New Zealand. He got upset with me when I said "I don't think so". I did ask for his number so I can call him back. That upset him too. He said "you don't understand, I am authorized by Microsoft technical support and I need to get into your computer" or words to that effect. Yeah, right!

I've been thinking of setting up my old PC just for such and occasion.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:19 PM

605 posts, read 701,215 times
They keep at it, since they still gain money from the few people who fall for it. People go to the website that allows remote viewing/access and they take your CC number and information. They keep calling me from different numbers so it's almost impossible to block them.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,410,475 times
I have received calls "from Microsoft" claiming that they will fix my computer. Guess what, I am a computer programmer. Some Iranian dude calls my cell phone "I fix your drivers". Funny

Old 08-15-2015, 08:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,446,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I have received calls "from Microsoft" claiming that they will fix my computer. Guess what, I am a computer programmer. Some Iranian dude calls my cell phone "I fix your drivers". Funny
They don't call me anymore! LOL. (They used to call a LOT.) When they start in on 'Windows' needing repair, I ask 'Which windows'? (Then I go down the list of all the windows in my home.) Next, I go into: 'What about my doors?' 'Are they a problem, also?' I start telling them all the problems I have with different parts of my house and asking if they are able to fix them.

THEN I start speaking in Spanish and go through my whole 'routine' again. I keep them on the line FOREVER! I do this in a completely serious voice.

I quite enjoy the moment. I haven't had a call in more than 2 years. I'm sure they hate me... This is an opportunity to be creative!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,883,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
They don't call me anymore! LOL. (They used to call a LOT.) When they start in on 'Windows' needing repair, I ask 'Which windows'? (Then I go down the list of all the windows in my home.) Next, I go into: 'What about my doors?' 'Are they a problem, also?' I start telling them all the problems I have with different parts of my house and asking if they are able to fix them.

THEN I start speaking in Spanish and go through my whole 'routine' again. I keep them on the line FOREVER! I do this in a completely serious voice.

I quite enjoy the moment. I haven't had a call in more than 2 years. I'm sure they hate me... This is an opportunity to be creative!
And the ONE TIME in life to vent all things that've really pissed you off for the last few years to someone who deserves to hear it...

Old 08-20-2015, 10:35 AM

804 posts, read 1,067,295 times
I have been doing technical support for about 20 years now. I got one of those calls a few months ago. I strung the guy along for about 30 minutes until I got bored with it. Then I threw out every insult I could about Indians at him. He even called back later.

He was getting really pissed because I made him tell me step by step how to do things. And then I would tell him that my computer is really slow and it took 10 minutes to boot. He wanted me to go to some website and I would act like I didn't know anything about using a web browser.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I just got one of these calls. The Caller ID said, "Private Caller," so I thought I'd play along. When I answered, there was of course the usual pause, and then a woman said, "Hello, my name is Helen and I am calling you from Microsoft technical support."

I replied in an amazed tone, "Hello, my name is Helen and I am calling you from Microsoft technical support." She paused for a moment, and then in a puzzled voice repeated, "Hello, my name is Helen and I am calling you from Microsoft technical support." I again said, in the same amazed tone, "Hello, my name is Helen and I am calling you from Microsoft technical support."

There was the briefest of pauses, and then she said, "Shut up!" and hung up the phone.

I have decided that this is the way I am going to handle all human telemarketers from now on. It was too fun.
I LOVE this! I think I will do this if ever I receive another call. So far I haven't had a call in over two years because I decided to speak to the MS Windows Repair scammer as if I thought he meant 'windows', like in a house. LOL. Pretty sure they hate me and I am off the list.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Just received a call at 6am this morning telling me my Windows computer is badly infected with a virus and is sending errors to the Microsoft servers. This person went on to explain with a heavy Indian accent how they were a "service provider" for Microsoft. Having been the head of the network Antivirus dept for a corporation my alarm bells started going off so I played along and these suspicions were confirmed when he did 3 things. 1.When I asked if he knew what time it was he told me he was in San Francisco and it was 8am.

2.He wanted me to open a command line box and start digging in the process list.

3. Wanted me to go to showmypc dot com and give them remote control to "fix" it.

The thing that really almost made me laugh as I was playing along and doing what he asked was I own a MAC and followed his directions from memory of how windows works.

This was the second call, my wife told them off and hung up a couple of days ago.

I would highly suggest you either hang up or if you have the time just string 'em along for a while by telling them your computer is slow, please hang on then check back in every couple of minutes telling them you have to restart. This call is most likely from India (you can hear other people doing the same thing in the background) and is definitely costing 'em money.
To end the call I just informed him that it wouldn't work because I tossed out that piece of cr#* and bought a Mac.
Do not do anything they tell you to do it will not come out well.
Absolutely right! Same thing with trying to retrieve your Facebook page if you've lost access (password, etc.). (Facebook offers hardly any way you can retrieve except to name friends.) You get a 'service' that wants you to give them remote access/control of your pc. No Way. I have work files on clients that I see for therapy and no one can have access except my administrators. Sadly I think there are some people who are not 'savvy' and give control over to these scammers. I think they should be called 'scummers'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers