Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times

Advertisements

Oh, that model (P505) probably has a hard drive that has 512k byte sectors. Try to get either an SSD, or an older style hard drive that has 512k byte sectors. "Advanced format" drives are troublesome on the older Toshibas. Over on the Toshiba troubleshooting forum, contributor Jerry_Lippy has written several good threads on "advanced format drives" vs. these machines, and he also listed some WD models that are older format. I think you can use an advanced format drive but must load the Intel Storage Driver or whatever it's called. I think acts as a translator, and thus you wind up with slower access times as a result. (If I remember correctly)

Errors after installing new "advanced format" hard... - Toshiba Forums is an article from Peter at Toshiba.

The hard drives on the shelves at stores are advanced format now. I don't know how available the 512k sector drives are now. It wasn't too difficult to find one 6 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM

It would also be worthwhile for you to search your exact model number at the Toshiba forum and see if there are any other complaints. Some of those machines, especially with the AMD CPUs, have run hot for years and the solder joints on motherboards are going bad. Depending on which joint(s) are affected, the symptoms vary. I don't know what happens with P505D. But lots of people with L505D series models said sound crackled and quit, then USB ports stopped working. Others had video probs because it was bad solder joints that hold the video module on. If you have a model that's known for motherboard failures like that, it's not worth paying someone to fix it. Dump it for parts on ebay.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times
Thanks. I'll check the Toshiba forum. I have Intel, if that makes a difference.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Intel gives it a better chance of survival, hehe. Maybe it is just the hard drive or a corrupted operating system. Honestly that Win Vista machine I had, I ran for 3 years before I hosed it and did a complete restore to factory out of box. The difference was a dramatic improvement. And then I sold it, and got a used Intel machine. ;-D

Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I was recommended to a guy in town. Good rep. Free estimate and $40 per hour.
It's always hard to turn your computer over to someone.
First I'll try the "safe-mode". Thanks everyone.
Free estimates and $40/hr. sounds fair. Let us know what he says. BTW, and for what it's worth, I think you have a heat/fan problem. Your tech may find something as simple as vents plugged up.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 PM

27 posts, read 15,514 times
kadylady

Im Scoot from Australia .. i have a Toshy ..on w7 and w8 ... you really do need to clean the system .. + burn those disc's if you can ... I gave my old Toshy (vista) to a friend which is good working order .. but after 5 months of her having it , its shutting down and etc .. not good ..

I had a thought b4 i read everything on here .. what is your ram on ?? like is it like 2gb ram , 4gb of ram ..?? with windows 7 and 8 you do need 4 gb ram to for it to fly .. i bought a Emachine (w7) on 2 gb ram ..it crashed constantly , i placed another 4gb ram on top and zooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm , no crashing ... its been a good machine ..

if you have any questions pls PM me
cheers Scootz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers