Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times

Advertisements

I agree with sgorneau on this one. After all, its just an opinion, as is everything on this forum. In fact, his opinion makes a whole lot of sense. Or is that what this forum has come to? His opinion is different, let's shout him down.

I frequently find myself in the position the OP is: helping out friends, as well as strangers, who are not computer savvy. I just want to provide them with the best possible computer hardware and software available, for free or minimal cost, specific to their needs. In the first paragrapsh, the OP pretty much indicates that no matter what, he basically is their go-to guy.

This is the exact situation for installing Ubuntu. On older hardware, and with users that are not "married" to Windows. Non-techies. Computer Users. They just want to do the basics: surf the web, email, maybe chatting, social networking, basic word processing, worksheets, drawing, and other basic stuff. If they eventually want to learn and progress more, Ubuntu is an excellent platform, as practically everything is free. Well, voluntary donations are highly appreciated.

Near as I can remember, here are the options that have been suggested:

1.) Just clean up the computer/s. Delete as much personal information as you can, along with all the other garbage. Delete the old User profiles. Create new User profiles. Continue using the 10 year old OS.

2.) Wipe out the computer's hard drive with something like Dban or Eraser. Then try to scrounge up a copy of XP on disk and re-install, assuming they have the product key. Don't know whether they have the product keys for any Microsoft Office products.

3.) Download Ubuntu (Kubuntu, if you like the Windows look) and install that, choosing to wipe out everything on the hard drive. Get all the free software you'll ever want from the Ubuntu repositories. Pay voluntarily - donate to Canonical if you're happy with the products.

So picture a computer guy, selling you a used computer:

Option 1 - "I have this used computer, which we cleaned, ... relatively, ... and deleted all the old User profiles and created new ones, and it has a 10-year old operating system in Windows XP, along with a bunch of other software that are already installed on the machine. Not to mention its the most targeted platform by malicious hackers, etc... but don't worry, I've put in all the free anti-virus, anti-malware programs there are, and even a firewall."

"By the way, support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. If you're running this version after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows. Learn to live with a 10-year old OS and Win-rot."

Option 2 - "I have this used computer, which I totally wiped clean of all the data on the hard drive. And somehow, I managed to get a copy of Windows XP on the internet and installed that too. Just download all the free software you can from the web, since I don't have all the disks for Microsoft Office, etc... Pssst, if you want more "free software", look for Windows XP Black .... but you didn't hear it from me. It's legal, as long as you don't get caught."

Option 3 - "I have this used computer, which I totally wiped clean and installed the latest version of Ubuntu LTS (or Kubuntu, for windows-centric people), which will be supported for the next 4 to 5 years. Also included are a full blown Office suite (Libre Office or Open Office), and a whole slew of of Internet, graphics, multimedia software that you might find useful. And, there's much, much more totally free software on the Ubuntu repositories, should you want more."

"Sure, it's got a miniscule market share, which could be a plus, because it's hardly targeted by malware and virus writers. It's used all over the world, in Europe and Asia. And it runs rings around Windows XP on old hardware. Installs in even less time."

My pick would obviously be option 3. About the only disadvantage I can think of is driver non-support from certain printer manufacturers. I usually stick with HP, who seem to support Linux better. Epson and Canon too.

Now the OP could decide that he/she really wants to re-install Windows XP, regardless of where he/she gets a copy of it. And that's fine. But, at least, he/she has been given other opinions, which is really what he/she was asking for : - "what do I need to do to make that old PC ready for a new owner?"

By the way, I speak from experience, as I'm sure a lot of you do. I collect used computers from offices that want to get rid of their computers. I clean the hard drives, and rebuild computers. Depending on the hardware, I install either Windows XP or Windows 7 dual booted with Ubuntu / Kubuntu or Lubuntu, with the Linux as the primary boot. Then I donate it to people who need it. Mostly kids who can't afford to buy their own in these hard economic times.

Most couldn't care less about firing up Windows on the dual boot. They get used to the Linux variant within an hour of using it. Some have actually emailed me back a year later to tell me that they're studying computer programming, based on all the free programming tools that can be found in the Ubuntu repositories. I guess it's like drive space - given the space, it will be used.

And no, I don't end up as tech support for them. Somehow, they seem to learn to help themselves. The irony of ironies ... it's the Windows Users from the offices that donate the computers to me that call me a lot about how to do things on Excel, Word, Access, etc .... Come to think of it, yeah, most people that do call me repeatedly about the same or similar issue are Windows users. I'm sure your mileage may vary.

To the OP, if you decide to re-install Windows XP, send me a PM. I might be able to find an OEM disk. Depending on location, just pay for postage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:21 PM

200 posts, read 241,265 times
Just for the record, I'm not saying Linux is for everyone. Neither is Windows. Or OS X. Or any other OS. I'm saying Ubuntu is a good option here based on a few things.

1. Primarily, the fact that the OP clearly stated and asked , "I don't have a copy of the complete Windows XP, and I don't have the hundreds of dollars Microsoft expects you to fork over for ANYTHING they produce. So what do I need to do to make that old PC ready for a new owner?" Ubuntu is free, would allow him to wipe the machine, and would turn over a machine ready for use.

2. The OP made no mention of what their friend will need it for.

3. The OP stated no requirement for Windows

4. All of this can first be tried out without touching the Windows installation by using a live CD/DVD.

The OP can certainly provide more detail that could render Ubuntu an unfit option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If both of these people are technically challenged, you can accomplish a lot by creating a new user profile, then delete the old user profile, the delete the folder that contained it. Then use CCleaner to wipe clean all the empty space on the drive.
I think mensaguy's advice is also a good option. But what happens when Window's complains about something and needs the disc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I doubt the thread starter wants to become tech support for someone who has never used Linux before.
The OP has already become tech support for both friends. I would hope for his sake he cuts the cord as soon as the machine changes hands. What could a person possibly be doing with an older PC running XP; most likely web browsing and email (and probably all on the web itself without the need for an email client). It's amazing how simple that is with a basic Ubuntu install...it's called Firefox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I keep a copy of Ubuntu running in a VM to support a Linux based NAS. It sure ain't Windows.
Doesn't need to be Windows. Neither is OS X and people love it. Neither is Android and people love it. Neither is ChromeOS and people love it. Neither is iOS and people love it. And before the forum police see this as a "my OS is better than your OS" debate, it's not. I use them all. And my point is, so do other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
It's not the fact that you're new to the forum that makes your suggestion absurd. Now give it a rest.
What's absurd is how close minded some people can be.

The sign on the door says "Computer Forum", but the sign on the wall says "Windows fan club incapable of other suggestions". i hope this sample of individuals doesn't represent the "Computer Forum" as a whole.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
<SNIP>
Linux may be great for you and a few others here. but the vast majority of people want to run Windows.
<SNIP>
A year ago, I would've agreed with you. But today, many Linux distros are more Windows-like than Windows 8.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:31 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,241 times
it depends if your selling the pc then I would use a program called wipe drive wich completely wipes everything off the hard drive vs doing a system recovery wich only eraces the file extensions off the drive. so if I wanted to use a software recovery program then I could pull up your old files that were on the pc using that recovery software if I just did a system recovery vs using wipe drive.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,180 times
For newbys wanting to try Linux, Ubuntu is very nice, but I would also suggest Linux Zorin6 which is based on Ubuntu. It can be set to look like Windows 7, Windows XP, OSX, or Gnome 2. It was developed for folks who are used to (stuck on) Windows and the Windows style desktop will look quite familiar to Windows aficionados. It's super easy to install and takes about 15 minutes. Heck, I'm certainly not a techie (I'm 66 and Hubbie's 71) and we've been using Linux for years. I like Windows 7 a lot too, but Linux is open source (free, although I do try to donate occasionally) and Windows is costly for us retired folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers