Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM

85 posts, read 237,324 times

Advertisements

I hope that this forum can help with my problem.

I believe that I have infected with a Java Virus?? that has seemed to disable anything that is MS related. I cant oen or view any MS documents. When i try to click on it, I get a "Click-2 Run configuartion failure" error box. I know absolutely nothing about the inner workings of a computer. If there is anyone that can provide a step by step process to clean out my computer back to original settings that would be great. My computer is an HP S1931a with the Windows 7 home edition. Nothing special, just a basic home computer.

unfortunately, I have lost track of where the program disks are that came with the computer. If those are needed to clean up this virus, I may have to take it to the "geek" guys and pay that $200 virus clean charge....not looking forward to that, but if I cant get any success with trying it out myself...that may be my only option.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or guide me through this process, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
I'm not sure why you think you have a Java virus. That error sounds like Office 2010 is damaged.

Are you using the Office 2010 Starter that came with your PC? If so, you didn't get a disk so you can't just reload it from scratch. You'd have to restore the PC to factory to do that that you'd lose anything not backed up.

I Google searched the error and found some solutions you can try that don't require wiping out your system.

Do not take your computer to Best Buy. They're retarded.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM

620 posts, read 1,751,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn911 View Post
My computer is an HP S1931a with the Windows 7 home edition. Nothing special, just a basic home computer.
Isn't an HP S1931a a monitor rather than a computer?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
The number you referenced IS a monitor and NOT the computer itself.
Nevertheless, you can *restore* to an earlier date !

Back up anything you must keep !
See post #2 above.

1- click on [Start]
2 - type in [Search programs and Files] : "Restore" (less quotes)
3 - click on [Restore computer to an earlier time]
4 - follow directions.

Had to do that on mine for some dumb reason (my fault)

Last but not least, you can order a complete set of *restore disks* form HP for *your* computer.
I strongly advice you to do that !! You know, for Justin Case !

On the other hand, *your* computer, must have a drive where the files are, to completely restore your system.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
From Microsoft: If you care to take a shot before resetting your PC to factory default.

Shashirekha
Support Engineer

Click-2-Run is the Application Virtualization (App-V) streaming version of Office 2010. It was put out there so people could install it side by side with Office 2007 without affecting their computer. Downloading a program using Click2Run creates a temp drive.

Remove the drive (which can be with any name other then the one you use by default). Check any drive that got created (drive which you normally don’t find in your system). Remove the drive.

Open the temp folder and delete all the files in the temp folder.

Try to uninstall Click-2-Run from Windows installed application under Control Panel--> Programs and Features.

Restart the computer and click on the link below:-

Office - Office.com to get the Click-2-Run version or

http://us20.office2010beta.microsoft...&culture=en-US for the traditional install.
Vinay G, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,039 times
Off topic a bit here perhaps but we have a Compaq Presario CQ56 and a CQ57 also. I can't remember what one I was using at the time but all of a sudden this screen started doing cart wheels , I hit "esc" key and the screen stopped in a sideways position.
I took this picture but I wish I had the fore thought to film it spinning before putting the kibosh on that odd computer behavior.
I want a new computer for photos and film production and I think that I'm in for some sticker shock. The computer that I want to buy would not be connected to the Internet if I can help it.
I would using it with several different types of printers and want it to remain a "virgin", The Internet is so dirty with bugs.
Both have windows 7, they are 64 bit systems and seem to be a bit problem prone.

It is usually not that hard to do a restore, for Pete's sake we've had to do it a bunch of times with these computers.
Sometimes we feel that our computers are our daughters and they just hooked up with unsavory "dirty" boyfriends that they met on the Internet.
One of the computers seems to not want to install an update that keeps trying to install.

Sorry I can't help the OP or anyone else with advise but good virus protection seems to keep being outsmarted by folks continually and it seems to be a pain in the patootie for all and very costly for some. Sorry if I high-jacked this thread.

Anyway this is the photo that I did manage to get of our computer when it was wigging out.

Last edited by DontLookPhoto; 03-28-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
There's a key combo to rotate your display in Windows 7. It sounds like you've got a stuck key or two.

I use my one computer for literally everything, including photo/video editing and the Internet. There's no problem as long as you know how to use a computer safely.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,039 times
Yes that is most likely what happened. I think I may have hit some keys by accident or something.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers