Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM

825 posts, read 2,812,946 times

Advertisements

I was running Java version 6 and was staying away from all the trouble with version 7. Recently, Java stopped running altogether. Long story short, I've installed version 7, update 17 but one website that runs Java in a sandbox still says "install plug in" and takes me to the page for installing what's already installed. I see the Java icon in the control panel and in the installed programs list. When I go to the java test page it shows me the gray box with the puzzle piece.

Suggestions or advice? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,753,768 times
What website are you referring to??

Does this game load for you??

http://glenn.sanson.free.fr/fb/play.html

Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,570,806 times
Mine doesn't and when I tell it to install it says there isn't one available.

Firefox latest version.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM

8,266 posts, read 13,360,051 times
I am using Waterfox 15 on a 64-bit Windows 7 and it works. Also using IE 10 on the same system and it works. I have Java 7 update 17 installed as well.
I tried virtual machine 32-bit Windows 7 with IE8 and Firefox 19.0.2 using the latest version of Java and both worked.

Java, especially the latest versions do support both IE and Mozilla Firefox.
If latest version of Java was already installed, before trying the good old uninstall-reinstall routine, there are couple of things you could check:

1. Go to Control Panel
2. Click on Java
3. Select Advanced tab and check the "Default Java for browsers" setting:

Next, check the Security tab to make sure the top option is checked:

When everything is working the way they are supposed to, you will see a warning message which you have to satisfy by clicking on Run (checking the bottom box is optional):

Additionally, just like Recycle Bin, if you have a huge drive, Java automatically configures itself by assigning way too big of a disk space to be used for files cached on the machine, I typically lower it to a figure between 500MB to 1000MB which is more than adequate:

Also, as the last thing to try before a re-install would be to close all open browser windows first then click on the "Delete Files.." button in the above screenshot.

Note: If you are using Waterfox, the standard version of Java, both Internet Explorer and Firefox use, doesn't see Waterfox as a valid browser even though it uses the same exact engine, file set, etc. So, your best bet is to (using Waterfox) visit java.com: Java + You and install the available plug-in version then it should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers