Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM

65 posts, read 73,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
When I was doing desktop support, it was a normal day when a couple of people said to me, "I'm glad they sent you to help." I'd smile, joke with them a little, and fix what was wrong. You have to be rock solid in your technical skills, but you have to have a healthy dose of people skills to be "the one they ask for."
Agreed. People skills go a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaMyerson View Post
I'd have to agree that NJBest comes off slightly snobbish. But I'd take a meaningful discussion from a snobbish individual than some of your rude posts that I've come across. I don't mean to be offensive but you come off as a grumpy old man who is on the constant attack for no good reason. Just plain rude. There's no need to insult anyone.
Thank you for the complement, the last thing I consider myself is Politically Correct, I gave up many years ago excusing peoples ignorance away....

Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
People are generally reluctant to take on even the most basic knowledge... especially when it comes to reading a book. Human nature comes into play and for many, they feel they know everything or it's not worth their time. Just take a look at how plwhit threw a fit when someone suggested a book that discusses communication issues with technical and non-technical people.
That "book" was $60.00...

I don't think I threw a fit, methinks your skin is just too thin...

Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I'd have to agree that NJBest comes off slightly snobbish. But I'd take a meaningful discussion from a snobbish individual than some of your rude posts that I've come across. I don't mean to be offensive but you come off as a grumpy old man who is on the constant attack for no good reason. Just plain rude. There's no need to insult anyone.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28920594-post3.html

Defend the Open Web: Keep DRM Out of W3C Standards
Is C-D so hard people can't determine which forum to use (especially when their topic is "Tablet" and C-D has a clearly labeled forum here called.... ready for it? TABLETS....

Holy smokes Batman....... http://www.city-data.com/forum/tablets/

Talk about thin skin, I guess you get upset when someone looks at you sideways too....

The topic of this thread has nothing do do with psychology or understanding the human mind...

It's about IT types who field hilarious trouble calls from users...

Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 PM

137 posts, read 136,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The topic of this thread has nothing do do with psychology or understanding the human mind...

It's about IT types who field hilarious trouble calls from users...
After reading that w3c post linked earlier (where you kept derailing the discussion towards the RIAA), it's hard to believe that you, of all people, would be interested in the original topic.

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
After reading that w3c post linked earlier (where you kept derailing the discussion towards the RIAA), it's hard to believe that you, of all people, would be interested in the original topic.

Thanks for the laugh.
How would he NOT be interested in the original topic? He started this thread.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
An individual would need a lot more than these books to take on the vast amount of technical knowledge and experience a good IT user has attained.
It was a TIC post.

Likewise, a person would need a lot more than that $60 book to really become more "customer" oriented. Some people are just not "people" oriented and all the reading in the world is not going to change that. Which I hate that, because if an IT person's main responsibility is help desk, then he or she needs to follow the basic steps of good customer service.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It was a TIC post.

Likewise, a person would need a lot more than that $60 book to really become more "customer" oriented. Some people are just not "people" oriented and all the reading in the world is not going to change that. Which I hate that, because if an IT person's main responsibility is help desk, then he or she needs to follow the basic steps of good customer service.
TIC?

~ Taken Into Consideration?
~ Tongue In Cheek?
~ The Internet Classroom?

Secondly there is quite a bit more to "customer support" than just fixing the customers problem...

Golden rules of a helpdesk staffer:

~ Do I look like a people person to you?
~ I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant
~ I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce
~ I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem
~ I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid
~ I'd explain it to you, but your head would explode
~ Errors have been made. Others will be blamed
~ You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter

Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
TIC?

~ Taken Into Consideration?
~ Tongue In Cheek?
~ The Internet Classroom?

Secondly there is quite a bit more to "customer support" than just fixing the customers problem...

Golden rules of a helpdesk staffer:

~ Do I look like a people person to you?
~ I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant
~ I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce
~ I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem
~ I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid
~ I'd explain it to you, but your head would explode
~ Errors have been made. Others will be blamed
~ You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter
Tongue in cheek.

Yes, I realize that.

Those are definitely golden rules all ITers should live by!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
this made me LOL about Older person talking about their new fangled still in the box I-Pad

it’s still in the box!” he cries, in the mistaken belief that this is funny. I humour him by laughing as if I hadn’t heard the line before.

Naturally, I suggest that he would have more success if he takes the iPad out of its box, reads the instructions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers