Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Sounds to me like you are whining because of your ignorance you got taken by the Geek Squad or something similar.....

Understand that many of us who spent our lives in IT dealing with ignorant users, the last thing we want to do in our retirement is start up our own businesses and put ourselves through that experience again..
bzzt. Wrong. But I do know people who have been taken by geeks and I'm sympathetic enough to be their spokesperson in this thread. (The level of assuming that goes on in C-D is breathtaking) Now it's my turn to assume: You seem to think that every person that needs help is obtuse. To prove a point, which I'll get into in 10 seconds, i hope you don't think that of me. I know what RAM is, I know what an OS is, I know what an optical drive is, I know what WAN and LAN is, etc., etc. My point is that just because you've dealt with 50 obtuse people doesn't mean the next 50,000 are equally obtuse or even worse. The only time i've needed tech support was for a Toshiba Portege laptop which a nice Russian boy fixed for $80. it was crashy and horrid when I handed it to him, then he fixed it up. no regrets. Anyhoo. You sound quite unpleasant and what I just described (in blue) does indeed sound like your default attitude. I know that's me assuming, but you assumed first. I'm glad I don't know you IRL. my posts in this thread havent been a whine as you labeled. they are highlighting the fact that there are a million techs-for-hire and tons are overqualified for xyz job and tons are underqualified for the same xyz job. so there needs to be a computerized way (web based or app based) to match the right job to the right tech who is as close to "perfectly" qualified as possible, virtually. not overqualified (to spare unpleasant arrogance). not underqualified (a nightmare for all, especially for the regular person). where did i say you guys should continue to do tech support after retirement etc? i said no such thing. i said you can write a program that matches people to the RIGHT techs-for-hire. then you can sell it to angie's list etc and feel good that you created a new helpful program that never existed before. and you needn't pick up a phone, nor listen to even 10 seconds of distress, nor utter one breath in response a la traditional tech support (because the program's not meant to give tech support, it's meant to coordinate). and now that i'm re-reading this, i realize i'm indirectly complimenting you and people in your field because who else could write a program like the one i proposed? no one - except you guys.

Last edited by grimace8; 04-03-2013 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
My point is that just because you've dealt with 50 obtuse people doesn't mean the next 50,000 are equally obtuse or even worse.
In my experience, for every one person who can describe the issue at hand at least semi-intelligently, there's 50 who speak as if a chicken pecked on random words in a technology dictionary.

What I want to hear: "My Internet connection is down. Internet Explorer and Chrome won't pull up pages and Outlook cannot send or receive."

What I usually hear: "MSN hard drive megabyte mouse pizza blink."

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
In my experience, for every one person who can describe the issue at hand at least semi-intelligently, there's 50 who speak as if a chicken pecked on random words in a technology dictionary.

What I want to hear: "My Internet connection is down. Internet Explorer and Chrome won't pull up pages and Outlook cannot send or receive."

well, that's because kids (and i hate to say it, but American kids especially) generally love to goof off in school and they don't bother learning stuff beyond school walls for the sake-slash-joy of learning. they'd rather drink and smoke and get accidentally pregnant etc. then these kids age with time just like the rest of us, but they don't truly grow up.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:

Quote:
well, that's because kids (and i hate to say it, but American kids especially) generally love to goof off in school and they don't bother learning stuff beyond school walls for the sake-slash-joy of learning. they'd rather drink and smoke and get accidentally pregnant etc. then these kids age with time just like the rest of us, but they don't truly grow up.
The "why" isn't really very important. EC is telling the truth about what a tech hears.

My computer is SOOOO slow. Did you guys in tech do anything to make it slow down?

Why did I get a popup when I answered that email from Yahoo asking for my password?

I clicked on the "Clean" button when my PC popped up and said I was infected, but now it wants me to pay for something. Did I do anything wrong?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 AM

200 posts, read 241,278 times
Quote:
That's a pretty harsh (and entirely inaccurate) assessment of an entire generation.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:

LMAO!!!

The thing that really annoys me as I am working with someone on the phone:

"OK, do this"
"OK"
"Ok now this"
"OK"
"Click there and go there and click delete"
"ARE YOU SURE??? It says this could be dangerous!"

No! I'm not! I'm totally just guessing! Isn't that why you called me? Because I am a good guesser!!!"

Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LMAO!!!

"OK, do this"
"OK"
"Ok now this"
"OK"

No! I'm not! I'm totally just guessing! Isn't that why you called me? Because I am a good guesser!!!"
Or,

"Click, Start, then right click My Computer, click properties."

"OK, I see yahoo."

People seriously cannot follow the simplest instructions.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Just think of the numerous helpme threads posted here....

We go into detail asking them to do certain things and get back to us....

What happens 99% of the time?????

They don't do a darned thing we asked, instead posting more off the wall drivel......

Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
bzzt. Wrong. But I do know people who have been taken by geeks and I'm sympathetic enough to be their spokesperson in this thread.
-<snip>-
And I know many people who have been taken by auto mechanics, AC repairmen, airlines and of course our government.

So I guess you're right, 99.9% of Americans are idiots......

The .1% live off the grid.....

But that is not the point of this thread, it's about knowing something about computers and being pestered by friends, family and acquaintances.....

If you want to moan groan whine and cry for the people being taken in by "geeks" start your own thread in this forum....

Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LMAO!!!

"OK, do this"
"OK"
"Ok now this"
"OK"

Quote:
Or,

"Click, Start, then right click My Computer, click properties."

"OK, I see yahoo."

People seriously cannot follow the simplest instructions.
These kinds of responses are expected but should be occurring rarely. If it's occurring frequently then there is a problem with your guide. Think back to your academia days where you went through several iterations of your instruction/interview guides for your thesis/publishings. It's the same idea here. A properly constructed guide should yield in very few issues like those described above... even when dealing with the most ignorant.

Whether you're a mechanic, a technician, or a doctor, gathering the right information and being able to provide instruction to individuals with any amount of competency is a part of your job. Those who are good at their job rarely see the responses like those above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers