U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,624,144 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if, when I put my files into Google Drive, they also stay on the computer hard drive. In other words, does Google Drive just copy the files or does it actually move the files off the hard drive to the Google Drive.

I'm asking because I have moved some files from 'My Documents' onto 'Google Drive'. The files are no longer showing in the 'My Documents' folder but ARE showing in the 'Google Drive' folder. If I click on one of those files in the Google Drive' folder, it appears on screen, even if I'm not connected to the internet, so surely this means that the files are still on my hard drive? I thought the idea of Google Drive was so that you could store files that are rarely used or large amounts of photos that you don't often look at on Google Drive and thus free up space on your hard drive. Am I wrong.

BTW Could you please keep any answers very simple as you're dealing with a technophobe here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Here's a description. They stay on your local drive. Access seems to be different (Google Drive instead of My Documents?), but they are there.

https://support.google.com/drive/bin...answer=2424384

Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,904 posts, read 33,646,478 times
If you install the Google Drive plugin, it can download a backup of the contents of the Google Drive onto your hard drive. In that case, the files will be BOTH on the computer and in the Drive cloud.

Without the plugin, your Drive files live in the cloud and it doesn't matter what you do with the copy on your hard drive.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM

4,599 posts, read 8,203,327 times
Yes - it "synchs" the files between your computer and the cloud. So in this case, the "Google Drive" is simply a folder on your computer. Everything within that folder is synched with your google account storage in the cloud.

When you moved files from "My Documents" to "google drive", this is all done locally (on your computer). When you're connected to the 'net, the contents of "google drive" is then synched with your cloud storage. If you log into your gmail (or other google app account), you can access your drive there, and see the same contents.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM

Thank folks.

So then, my files are on Google Drive AND my hard drive so there is no point in putting large quantities of files onto Google Drive with a view just to save some space on the computer hard drive because the files stay on the hard drive. Google does nothing more than 'copy' them...right?

Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM

4,599 posts, read 8,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Thank folks.

So then, my files are on Google Drive AND my hard drive so there is no point in putting large quantities of files onto Google Drive with a view just to save some space on the computer hard drive because the files stay on the hard drive. Google does nothing more than 'copy' them...right?
Whatever you put in your 'google drive' folder on your computer will be synched onto the google cloud. However, you do have the option of NOT synching certain folders from the cloud back down to your computer.

For example, I have fileA, FileB, and FolderX in my 'google drive' folder on my computer. These will get synched to the cloud, so I'll have them in both locations. However, I can go into my google Drive account, and create Folder1, Folder2 and Folder3... and then using the Drive utility (advanced options?) and tell it to not synch those folders. In that sense, those folders were created via the browser, and will not synch to my local computer, and therefore will only be available via the cloud.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM

It sounds like you just want a place to store extra files or a way to get more free space on the hard drive. Close? If so a usb drive will help, or an external drive will. I just added a 1TB drive to my home server.

Here's a list of drives by price low to high on Newegg

Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM

Ok, thanks all. I have it now...I think. I was under the impression that the files were moved from the computer to the Google drive thus creating more space on the computer but clearly that's not the case.

Thanks for the info everyone

Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 AM

You might try Ccleaner to get rid of cookies, cache items, etc. It will clear some space and may help.

The link is in the top right corner and you will likely have a pause before the download starts. Don't click on anything else or you'll get something other than Ccleaner. I hate sites that do that but it's so common now it's hard to avoid.

Here is a post I made about using it. It contains links to a couple of videos.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20778157-post21.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or