Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Once. Again, my problem is that the software at certain sights does not support Safari. It even warns me that it does not support Safari.
They may be referencing specific HTML elements that Safari does not recognize and/or hacks used for other browsers that may mess up Safari. Does the page work? Have you updated the browser?

Quote:
The PX and my Credit Union are dragged into the 21st Century and get apps
That's not the way it works, there is standards for HTML which technically should work the same in every browser but often there are specific bugs. For example I just came across one that was driving me nuts, width:100% doesn't work in IE8 when applied to an image and that's an important declaration for designing pages that work in small displays like phones. Not only does it not scale the image but it just disappears. This works in any version of IE except IE8.

The goal of course is to make your webpage look similar in all browsers but that becomes a very big hassle especially if you have to deal with something maddening like the bug I just described. Because Safari does not have a wide audience the designers of that site have decided to not support it.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Once. Again, my problem is that the software at certain sights does not support Safari.
Once. Again. There are other browsers out there. Some even let you spoof the User Agent so that the site you're visiting won't even know what browser you're actually using.
Quote:
Not chrome, just plain google works better.
This statement doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Chrome is a browser, like Safari or Explorer, but created by Google instead of Apple or Microsoft. I'm not sure what you mean by "plain Google."

I suspect your problem is Flash, not the browser per se. If those sites use Flash, it won't work on the iPad at all, regardless of which browser you use.
I second all of this advice. I prefer Chrome on my iPad, because it enables me to have my bookmarks synced across my computers, my phone and my tablet.

It's also good to have multiple browsers installed on your iPad, because it helps isolate whether problems you are having with a site are due to browser incompatibility or an issue with the site (and possibly, the site's use of Flash).

Old 04-27-2013, 11:08 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Once. Again. There are other browsers out there. Some even let you spoof the User Agent so that the site you're visiting won't even know what browser you're actually using.

This statement doesn't make any sense.
I suspect the original poster doesn't know the difference between a browser, web site, and search engine.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:04 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I second all of this advice. I prefer Chrome on my iPad, because it enables me to have my bookmarks synced across my computers, my phone and my tablet.
Safari does that too. If it doesn't then I forgot how the browser on my iPad has the exact same bookmarks as on my Mac.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Safari does that too. If it doesn't then I forgot how the browser on my iPad has the exact same bookmarks as on my Mac.
You're getting bookmark synchronization between two apple products. Chrome will synchronize across Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You're getting bookmark synchronization between two apple products. Chrome will synchronize across Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
Doesn't that feature require iCloud? Apple has changed its cloud offerings so often, after being late to the party on them in the first place, that I haven't bothered to use their service.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Best Web Browsers for the iPhone: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide

Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
mercury is a good browser

Old 04-28-2013, 02:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Doesn't that feature require iCloud? Apple has changed its cloud offerings so often, after being late to the party on them in the first place, that I haven't bothered to use their service.
Late to the party?

They've had "cloud offerings" since 2000! They really don't change their services that often, they've just been doing it a lot longer than virtually everyone else (8 years before Dropbox!) and have made changes slowly over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers