U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,805 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have a Toshiba Qosmio x870-144 gaming laptop. It has a 128GB SSD and a 1TB 5400 RPM HDD. I have a spare Seagate 750GB Hybrid 7200rpm.
Can I replace the 1TB HDD with the Seagate? Will I get better performance? Can the laptop handle this combination of SSD and Hybrid drive? Will this affect the temperatures of the unit? Thank you iam new to this forum sorry if i posted this in a wrong section
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Reputation: 8930
Yes. Many laptops already have the hybrid drives already installed. My Lenovo has it and boots to a fully functional windows screen within 15 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,805 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yes. Many laptops already have the hybrid drives already installed. My Lenovo has it and boots to a fully functional windows screen within 15 seconds.
because the ssd is small (128 GB) i will use the hybrid for some applications that need lot of space such as games so i suppose that i will use frequently a small number of applications so i will have a small improvement from the adaptive memory..
Do you thing that the psu of the laptop will have any problem to feed both the ssd and the hybrid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgexyd View Post
because the ssd is small (128 GB) i will use the hybrid for some applications that need lot of space such as games so i suppose that i will use frequently a small number of applications so i will have a small improvement from the adaptive memory..
Do you thing that the psu of the laptop will have any problem to feed both the ssd and the hybrid?
The hybrid drive, being 7200 rpm, likely produces more heat and draws a little more power. Look at the specs for the exact power consumption numbers. I'm sure the power supply can handle the difference but it will shorten your battery life. The extra heat may or may not be a problem depending on how well cooled the laptop is. Unfortunately the heat question is something that only the people who designed it can really answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Reputation: 8930
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The hybrid drive, being 7200 rpm, likely produces more heat and draws a little more power. Look at the specs for the exact power consumption numbers. I'm sure the power supply can handle the difference but it will shorten your battery life.
My newish i5 Lenovo weighs a little over 3 lbs and has longer battery life. So far its been averaging around 5 hours. Its heaviest load is streaming. We're basically back in the old days when smart manufacturers did three partitions. One for programs, one for data and one (sometimes hidden) for system restore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 03:59 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
My newish i5 Lenovo weighs a little over 3 lbs and has longer battery life. So far its been averaging around 5 hours. Its heaviest load is streaming. We're basically back in the old days when smart manufacturers did three partitions. One for programs, one for data and one (sometimes hidden) for system restore.
The problem with shipping a machine with a separate partition for data is that 95% of users will have no idea its there and fill up their small C drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Reputation: 8930
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The problem with shipping a machine with a separate partition for data is that 95% of users will have no idea its there and fill up their small C drive.
Not entirely their fault. There are times when a salesperson/literature should cover it, but it rarely is. I used to use Partition Magic during the interim when it wasn't done by manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top