U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,912,734 times

Advertisements

Had to replace the modem as the old one died, but this still worries me.

The other night I shut off my computer to go to bed. It was late and I was tired. It went into update status and this isn't unusual. But then it said it was downloading 82 updates??????

One or two sure. But 82? I hate going to bed with it on. I read about three chapters of a book and watched. One was short. two was huge and took many minutes. I was getting nervous.

I went to bed on 62. I was tired and forgot to turn it off. Woke up and it was still on 62.

I shut it off. It loaded and came up, and started installing things. I had all my data backed up that couldn't be reloaded so I checked when it was done. It was all security updates. There was a whole security pack update which was the largest.

Everything LOOKS fine.

I ran a full system scan with Norton. It found four tracking cookies and nothing else it already hadn't dealt with.

Should I worry? Why would such an enormous glob of updates happen? Or should they at all? Nothing seems amiss at all except the modem worked on an off but the new one is fine. This was about the 27th I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
Perhaps the file that keeps track of what's been installed got damaged so Windows Update started from scratch. The only time I see update numbers that big is when I reload from an old CD. Even with SP3 installed, an otherwise fresh copy of XP will download around 100 updates I believe. I'm not positive since its been a while since I've had to install XP.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Perhaps the file that keeps track of what's been installed got damaged so Windows Update started from scratch. The only time I see update numbers that big is when I reload from an old CD. Even with SP3 installed, an otherwise fresh copy of XP will download around 100 updates I believe. I'm not positive since its been a while since I've had to install XP.
This was win 7 and I've never seen anything that size. And it never got to the last batch since I shut it off before it got them down loaded. I'm keeping my personal data backed up though.

It was after that the modem started shutting itself off, I suspect getting too warm. It seems to work when its brrrr like now at thrity something degrees outside. The cable people verified the signel was coming in fine. New one should be here tomorrow!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This was win 7 and I've never seen anything that size. And it never got to the last batch since I shut it off before it got them down loaded. I'm keeping my personal data backed up though.
Even Win7 SP1 will still download 100 updates when you first connect to the Internet. So my original guess would stand.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Even Win7 SP1 will still download 100 updates when you first connect to the Internet. So my original guess would stand.
But this isn't the first time. It is used daily. I've *never* except the first time I turned it on had to download so much. It frequently downloads less than ten short files, not hour plus long files.

The downloads happened on shutdown and installation on start up, or at least the ones that I had let download. There were still a bunch more that hadn't gotten downloaded hours later. That is the part that seems very very questionable.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 AM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
What did you mean when you said you had to replace the modem? What does your modem look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers