Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times

Advertisements

I know there have been some reports of this here and some discussion, but my quick search didn't find any threads on the subject.

I find this happening frequently in the last week or two, but I've seen it happen many other times going back much longer. I do a cold start on my laptop and, without one click or keystroke, there's Firefox....starting as though I had asked it to.

A good bet would be that it has something to do with this. Except that it's only supposed to happen if Firefox was still open at the prior shutdown. Never do I leave Firefox or anything else open on shutdown. So it is over-zealous in operation for reasons unknown, but there are instructions for disabling this "feature" a little ways down the page. I've done that and will report back with the result.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I recall a thread about this before, but I haven't found it yet.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:59 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
You're likely to get more help from readers if you provide some details.
Like what's your operating system?
Does this happen only if FF has been left open (or crashed) prior to the restart?
Is FF in your OS's auto-startup list?

Old 05-31-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
You're likely to get more help from readers if you provide some details.
Like what's your operating system?
Does this happen only if FF has been left open (or crashed) prior to the restart?
Is FF in your OS's auto-startup list?
I'm reporting a problem and its likely solution and asking if others have observed it. I'm not looking for help.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Just following up to report that I have not had a single instance of Firefox starting by itself since making the configuration change described here under Disable or Prevent Firefox from starting automatically on Windows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers