U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I meant to mention that the touchpad on the Samsung I have now is much bigger than the one on the lower end Toshiba I had, and smooth. I haven't seen a glass touchpad. Who offers that?
Apple MacBooks
Lenovo ThinkPads (some)
HP Elitebooks
Dell XPS (some)

Those are some of the ones that do. I'm sure there are others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,471,822 times
Did anyone ever think to ask the retailer to remove W-8 and install W-7 before purchasing?

Two different retailers said they would do it for me. I now own a new laptop with a OEM copy of W-7.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Did anyone ever think to ask the retailer to remove W-8 and install W-7 before purchasing?

Two different retailers said they would do it for me. I now own a new laptop with a OEM copy of W-7.
Its a lot easier and cheaper to just install Classic Shell or Start8. Problem solved.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Apple MacBooks
Lenovo ThinkPads (some)
HP Elitebooks
Dell XPS (some)

Those are some of the ones that do. I'm sure there are others.
I see why I haven't noticed those. I'm not shopping in that price range.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I see why I haven't noticed those. I'm not shopping in that price range.
Hopefully it trickles down soon. It really makes a difference.

Logitech makes an external glass touchpad... but that defeats the purpose, imo.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:54 PM

43,012 posts, read 93,749,672 times
It takes months to get used to Windows 8, but I promise you that you will adapt.

It actually has nice features once you figure out how to navigate its uniqueness.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It takes months to get used to Windows 8, but I promise you that you will adapt.

It actually has nice features once you figure out how to navigate its uniqueness.
It took me about two weeks to master the basics; a few months to become an expert in the interface. Then again, I use a computer several hours per day.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 93,749,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It took me about two weeks to master the basics; a few months to become an expert in the interface. Then again, I use a computer several hours per day.
I had the basics down in two weeks. I wouldn't call myself an expert at the interface yet though. I'm still finding interesting quirks---some annoying, some useful, and some fascinating. Even though I spend several hours per day on the computer, I don't spend everyday using every feature. I have a feeling Windows 8 is capable of much more than I'll ever need from it. There are still areas I haven't gone yet, but I do enjoy many aspects of Windows 8. I've been having fun with it. I think other people will too once they adjust to it. I just thought I would offer words of encouragement to new users. Change is a hassle but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,782 times
I have had it installed since beta and I still just don't like it. It doesn't do anything that Win7 doesn't already do. I enjoy the task manager and some little things like that, but the compartmentalized search and general usability issues that I've found are just not worth using.

Luckily they're rolling back some of their decisions:

Windows 8 to be redesigned by Microsoft as PC sales plummet | Technology | The Guardian

Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM

389 posts, read 1,038,243 times
I'm going to have to eat crow.

I got the "Start8" add on that is free for 30 days and $4.99 there after. Got the familiar old Start screen that allows the computer to be used essentially as a Windows 7 machine if one chooses to or to use the rather neat mapping and weather screens from Windows 8.

Be sure to get a touch screen computer regardless. Without that the full power of Windows 8 will never be utilized. Fortunately my laptop does and it is very worthwhile.

Microsoft now realizes that the removal of the start button was a mistake and will add it back with an update now entitled "Windows Blue" which will essentially be Windows 8.5. This shouldn't have been necessary but the message was finally received loud and clear by Microsoft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers