U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,211 posts, read 1,966,818 times
Reputation: 807

Advertisements

What the OP wants is easy to do but he should really talk to his IT group or his own manager. Is this "tech" a computer tech or some other non-IT related tech? Not sure why an IT tech would not have a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Nanaimo, Canada
1,808 posts, read 1,619,502 times
Reputation: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nonsense! Not going up the chain leaves YOU exposed to all sorts of bs, such as accusations that YOU were rude and confrontational.
Rule number one of a call-center job: 'Only escalate if and when you've attempted everything within your scope of support and the customer is still not satisfied'.

OP: Lock the computer, if you can do that without getting in trouble from The Guys Upstairs; if he wants to use it, he'll have to ask first, and justify what he wants to do.

If he refuses to explain himself, then you go up the chain of command. If he won't tell you what he's doing, he probably shouldn't be doing it on the company dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Waterworld
1,030 posts, read 1,240,945 times
Reputation: 947
Sorry guys for my late reply, but I appreciate all of the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Pretty sure the guy already has an account since the says "multiple users" can log into these PCs. I don't think the problem is the guy is logging into OP's account, but OP is afraid that when the guy logs into his own account, OP's account will be logged out and therefore information will be lost.

Is this a large environment? With a domain? Do you have an IT department? Why doesn't the guy have his own PC? Is the company too cheap to get him one or is it a BYOPC environment? Why is he using yours specifically?

Best thing for you to do is talk to him and tell him your concerns. Make sure he understands that if you are logged in he should not log you out for any reason unless you know about it. When fit hits the shan throw him under the bus and make sure they know he needs his own PC. They're so ridiculously cheap these days..... You say he's a tech and that's why he doesn't have one, are they not full employees or something?

This seems like a management or HR issue. Not your own.
Correct, my computer does allow multiple users to log on, but this guy will sometimes shut my computer off, and I don't always get a chance to save if I walk away because I am not expecting for someone to come and turn my computer off. But I guess I will just have to save every time now.

It is a pretty large company with a domain and an IT department. The guy doesn't have a computer because he is a technician on the shop floor in another department. They have terminals that they clock their time into and maybe check on other things if needed, but it is not a desk computer with pertinent information. Basically, to perform his work functions he does not need a dedicated desk top.

I did end up talking to him, so we will see if it continues or not. That is why I did not go up the chain of command yet, because I feel like if you have a problem then you should talk to the person before getting them into trouble, unless the problem persists. But yes he is a full time employee for the company, not contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
But you don't know what the full scenario is. Maybe it's generally assumed that all PCs in the company are free reign and you just use what's around you. Many companies do this with dumb terminals. Maybe the guy just doesn't know or was taught that by his management. It could be a misunderstanding or it could even be that at one time the OP told the guy "yeah sure you can use my PC" and it has gotten out of hand.

Like I said, just talking to the dude is the best way to figure out what the issue and resolution is.
I did work with him in another department before where the computers were generally accepted as open work stations, but that is not the case in other departments. He did come over once during his lunch and ask if he could look something up a while back, and that is obviously where I messed up telling him yes, because now it seems that he thinks he has free reign on my computer when I am not at my desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Getting some balls means talking to the dude.


Nonsense. He said he thinks the guy thought he was joking. That indicates the OP has problems communicating effectively to resolve conflicts. Going up the chain of command is avoidant behavior when all the OP has to do is talk to the guy in a manner that can't be interpreted as joking.

Nothing is more annoying for management than having to solve problems for passive aggressive people who don't have the courage to engage in conflict resolution for themselves. The world would be a much better place if people weren't passive aggressive. If you think you need to cover your ass, send the guy an email and copy the chain of command. A passive aggressive person wouldn't do that because it's too direct and they'd rather go up the chain of command behind people's backs.

I assure you that nobody has ever thought I was joking when I was talking to them about something I meant, and I have never been accused of being rude and inappropriately confrontational IRL There is absolutely nothing wrong with confronting someone when the situation warrants. Only passive aggressive people would feel that way.
I think that he thought I was joking because in our previous position (we both work in different departments now) people would joke around often, so now that I am in a different area and am being serious, he thinks we are still in the last department joking around as buddies.

But I did talk to him like mentioned above, so we will see how it goes. I do not tend to think of myself as passive aggressive, if I have a problem then I will tell you before taking it up the chain. But if the guy wont do as I wish then I have no other choice, because I will surely not put my job at stake due to someone else doing things on my computer that I don't find acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
You make it sound like the guy needs reprimanding...he probably doesn't.
I don't know if he needs reprimanding, the company may not appreciate what he is doing on the internet, I don't know. But it is not my place to reprimand him, but I will definitely let someone know if he does continue and I feel like it will somehow jeopardize my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think it's that simple for the OP. I can spot a passive aggressive personality from a mile away.


For passive aggressive people, a polite conversation with a serious tone requires lots of courage. It's a really big deal to them. They'll put up with the most incredible crap instead of just having a simple conversation. It doesn't matter how you phrase it, how encouraging you are, they can't easily do it. They create a lot of their problems as a result.

The OP doesn't want to have a conversation with his coworker because it will make him uncomfortable. Instead, he'd rather find a way to lock his computer or go up the chain of command. Meanwhile, both will create a situation where the other guy will confront the OP with less than polite conversation. If you lock someone out of your computer, it's unrealistic to not expect that person to come to you asking you about it. If you go up the chain of command, the coworker will be angered, or perplexed at the least, because the OP could have had simple conversation but made a big deal about it by going up the chain.

Fortunately, management knows all about passive aggressive personalities. I didn't even know these people existed until I was in management. Trust me, "authoritative" "confrontational" and "get some balls" equates to a polite conversation for passive aggressive people. The OP isn't going to knock anyone out simply because I used those terms.
I will have a conversation with him, but why would I not want to lock any other users out of my computer if they are not supposed to be using it in the first place? This guy doesn't even work in my department, he walks over here from his area to surf the internet. And if he finds it unrealistic that I want to lock him out of my computer then I have bad news for him..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I'd just go up the chain. He doesn't take no for an answer, and anything he may be looking up is on you. Just go to HR.
This is how I feel. While I will talk to people first if there is a problem before going up the chain, it is still my job, and I am not willing to lose it due to someone looking things up on a computer that is under my name in the company. In my opinion, that is why there is "management" because it is not my place to reprimand people. They also make the money and have the job title that is suitable for reprimanding if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
What the OP wants is easy to do but he should really talk to his IT group or his own manager. Is this "tech" a computer tech or some other non-IT related tech? Not sure why an IT tech would not have a computer.
He is a non-IT related tech.

But as a side note, I did know about locking my computer through CNTRL-ALT-DEL, I guess I was just hoping that there was someway I could block other people from logging in. But I guess now that I think about it, it wouldn't be possible anyway, because sometimes IT needs to remotely log into the computer as well.

But we shall see if the situation improves after I confronted the person about it. Hopefully he will respect my wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,211 posts, read 1,966,818 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
He is a non-IT related tech.

But as a side note, I did know about locking my computer through CNTRL-ALT-DEL, I guess I was just hoping that there was someway I could block other people from logging in. But I guess now that I think about it, it wouldn't be possible anyway, because sometimes IT needs to remotely log into the computer as well.

But we shall see if the situation improves after I confronted the person about it. Hopefully he will respect my wishes.
Sounds like your computers are setup so that anyone with a domain account can logon to a computer. CTRL+ALT+DEL will only work with a user who does not have a domain account. You can talk to your IT department about locking down who can logon to your computer if this guy continues to logon to your computer without your permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top