U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,240,694 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, is there anyway to keep someone from logging into your computer?

At work we use Windows 7 and there is a feature to allow multiple users, but the thing is someone from another department comes over to use the computer to look up stuff on the internet that I don't necessarily feel comfortable for him to be looking up. Not only that, but I have stuff up on my computer that is always running for my job, and I do save it, but there is the potential that one day he can log me off if I forget to save pertinent information.

I just wanted to see if there was a way to cut this off before I have to go up the chain in my company. I have tried telling him, but I think that he believes I am just joking around with him.

In my opinion, he should use his own computer (which he doesn't have since he is a tech) or a workstation that multiple people normally share, but not go to someones desk to use their computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM

455 posts, read 775,117 times
Use a password and lock your computer when you're away from it. (CTRL+ALT+DEL then "Lock this computer")
Also, if he needs access, you can create a user account for him to use. Then you can use the "Switch User" feature, which will allow you to stay logged on, but allow him to log on to his account simultaneously. However, I would still advise that you save your work before switching over, as there's not telling what he might do, like turn the computer off, etc.
When he's done using whatever, then he can log off or switch back to your account, which will then prompt for your password to gain access.

Locking your computer while you're away will still allow him to switch users to his account without shutting yours down. That way you don't have to be there to hold his hand. Just make sure he knows not to turn the computer off.

(By the way, if you don't have administrative privileges, you won't be able to create a new user. If that's the case, get your network admin to set this up.)

Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
Use a password and lock your computer when you're away from it. (CTRL+ALT+DEL then "Lock this computer")
Also, if he needs access, you can create a user account for him to use. Then you can use the "Switch User" feature, which will allow you to stay logged on, but allow him to log on to his account simultaneously. However, I would still advise that you save your work before switching over, as there's not telling what he might do, like turn the computer off, etc.
When he's done using whatever, then he can log off or switch back to your account, which will then prompt for your password to gain access.

Locking your computer while you're away will still allow him to switch users to his account without shutting yours down. That way you don't have to be there to hold his hand. Just make sure he knows not to turn the computer off.

(By the way, if you don't have administrative privileges, you won't be able to create a new user. If that's the case, get your network admin to set this up.)
All of this.. with a couple of notes.

You can lock the machine with WIN + L for an even quicker lock, and you can set the screen saver to require a password on return. Even if you don't want a screen saver, you could set it to a black screen and a short timeout in case you forget to lock it when walking away.

If other users are logged in, Windows will warn them if they try to shut down. I'd still take the advice above and save before switching, but they will at least get a notice before just dumping the machine.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM

6,121 posts, read 9,730,936 times
As he has access to shared workstations, and he's looking at stuff that you find questionable, I would make ABSOLUTELY NO accommodations for him to be using your computer. He simply should not be using it. Don't make him a user account on your machine, and do lock your computer with password-required any time you're not in front of it.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,062 times
Pretty sure the guy already has an account since the says "multiple users" can log into these PCs. I don't think the problem is the guy is logging into OP's account, but OP is afraid that when the guy logs into his own account, OP's account will be logged out and therefore information will be lost.

Is this a large environment? With a domain? Do you have an IT department? Why doesn't the guy have his own PC? Is the company too cheap to get him one or is it a BYOPC environment? Why is he using yours specifically?

Best thing for you to do is talk to him and tell him your concerns. Make sure he understands that if you are logged in he should not log you out for any reason unless you know about it. When fit hits the shan throw him under the bus and make sure they know he needs his own PC. They're so ridiculously cheap these days..... You say he's a tech and that's why he doesn't have one, are they not full employees or something?

This seems like a management or HR issue. Not your own.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Any company that doesn't buy their techs computers is run by idiots. With that in mind taking this up the ladder may not be such a great idea.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Any company that doesn't buy their techs computers is run by idiots. With that in mind taking this up the ladder may not be such a great idea.
Depends on the company, it's the best way to get anything done around these parts.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:04 PM

43,012 posts, read 93,764,981 times
I don't see why you have to go up the chain in your company. Going up the chain is passive aggressive.

Get some balls and JUST SAY NO. He won't think you're joking if you're authoritative and confrontational.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't see why you have to go up the chain in your company. Going up the chain is passive aggressive.

Get some balls and JUST SAY NO. He won't think you're joking if you're authoritative and confrontational.
But you don't know what the full scenario is. Maybe it's generally assumed that all PCs in the company are free reign and you just use what's around you. Many companies do this with dumb terminals. Maybe the guy just doesn't know or was taught that by his management. It could be a misunderstanding or it could even be that at one time the OP told the guy "yeah sure you can use my PC" and it has gotten out of hand.

Like I said, just talking to the dude is the best way to figure out what the issue and resolution is.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,840 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or