U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Where would I find the original serial number I used to activate/register Windows...it was 64 Bit VISTA????
Finding the product number/serial key of any Windows when the system is working OK, is a snap using any of the freely available utilities but if the system is not even booting.....I am thinking you are SOL.

I started thinking, I know the info is kept in the registry so using UBCD you could boot to it then access your registry that way but that key is encrypted so a manual approach wouldn't work. UBCD would let you export parts of registry which you could do to back up the product number and later import it into a healthy system's registry but perhaps not reliable?

Anyhow, then I found this link.

As I mentioned and you came to realize:
You have two issues from the info you had given:

- Unbootable main boot drive (hard drive). At a minimum, the OS image is bad or the hard drive itself.
- Unable to boot to the Recovery CD/DVD

Why? Bad BIOS? Incorrect BIOS settings? Bad drive? Bad Media? Bad connections? Non-bootable media?
If what you were saying so far was correct, BIOS settings was not the issue. Bad BIOS? Possible but not very likely, also it appeared to be working OK. So, please check on the rest.

You have to do some troubleshooting and the best method is using another "known working" component to find out.
Have you downloaded and burned UBCD on a CD yet? Have you test the Recovery CD on another system yet? Check the wires as mentioned by some. You have some work ahead of you, don't let us down. Using proper methods, you can eliminate all logical suspects to narrow down the list and find the culprit.

May the force be with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 12:15 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,794,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Finding the product number/serial key of any Windows when the system is working OK, is a snap using any of the freely available utilities but if the system is not even booting.....I am thinking you are SOL.

I started thinking, I know the info is kept in the registry so using UBCD you could boot to it then access your registry that way but that key is encrypted so a manual approach wouldn't work. UBCD would let you export parts of registry which you could do to back up the product number and later import it into a healthy system's registry but perhaps not reliable?

Anyhow, then I found this link.

As I mentioned and you came to realize:
You have two issues from the info you had given:

- Unbootable main boot drive (hard drive). At a minimum, the OS image is bad or the hard drive itself.
- Unable to boot to the Recovery CD/DVD

Why? Bad BIOS? Incorrect BIOS settings? Bad drive? Bad Media? Bad connections? Non-bootable media?
If what you were saying so far was correct, BIOS settings was not the issue. Bad BIOS? Possible but not very likely, also it appeared to be working OK. So, please check on the rest.

You have to do some troubleshooting and the best method is using another "known working" component to find out.
Have you downloaded and burned UBCD on a CD yet? Have you test the Recovery CD on another system yet? Check the wires as mentioned by some. You have some work ahead of you, don't let us down. Using proper methods, you can eliminate all logical suspects to narrow down the list and find the culprit.

May the force be with you!
I reset BIOS to Default Settings and it went back to "normal".

Have computer opened now and checking Hard Drive......

I haven't given up yet. At worst I'll understand problem(s) before calling in professional help....use in house computer repair service but very expensive here...100 bucks/hour.

I reseated ALL connections from Hard Drive to Motherboard and checked power connection as well.

It appears Drive is shot; I hear no sound from it. I'll leave computer on a few minutes to check if Drive gets warm.

IF the HD is shot I assume that explains why recovery discs won't function?????

Hard Drive casing got very warm to touch with computer left on a bit?????

Does this mean it's functioning?????

Yes Luke!

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 05-12-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 PM

5,434 posts, read 3,629,266 times
Sounds like a hard drive failure. Sometimes they make a clicking sound for a few days before they crash.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Sounds like a hard drive failure. Sometimes they make a clicking sound for a few days before they crash.
I think so. Checking now IF it is warm to touch????

Hard Drive got fairly "hot" to touch?????

I assume Recovery discs won't work regardless IF HD is shot????

Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I think so. Checking now IF it is warm to touch????

Hard Drive got fairly "hot" to touch?????

I assume Recovery discs won't work regardless IF HD is shot????
It doesn't necessarily mean it is working OK either. If there was absolutely no humming, no vibration and no heat then you could definitely mark the HD as bad but chances are either the read head is gone (platters are spinning hence getting hot) or the integrated circuit it malfunctioning hence BIOS can see it but nothing more.
Of course there is still a chance the drive is still working but just os image is corrupt. If the drive has seen a lot of action for a few years or you had it in use on and off for about 5+ years, I would not expect much from that drive.

It is possible that the Recovery may fail if there was no HD detected but the recovery process should still kick in initially during bootup and then perhaps give an error, etc. and fail. That doesn't seem to be the case with you so the recovery media or the DVD drive can still be another issue here.

Next step would be to take the hard drive to a shop and see if they can piggyback it to a working system and access it. I am thinking they won't be able to. You might also want to bring the recovery media with you to see if it is indeed a bootable and working media or not.

Then go from there...

Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
It doesn't necessarily mean it is working OK either. If there was absolutely no humming, no vibration and no heat then you could definitely mark the HD as bad but chances are either the read head is gone (platters are spinning hence getting hot) or the integrated circuit it malfunctioning hence BIOS can see it but nothing more.
Of course there is still a chance the drive is still working but just os image is corrupt. If the drive has seen a lot of action for a few years or you had it in use on and off for about 5+ years, I would not expect much from that drive.

It is possible that the Recovery may fail if there was no HD detected but the recovery process should still kick in initially during bootup and then perhaps give an error, etc. and fail. That doesn't seem to be the case with you so the recovery media or the DVD drive can still be another issue here.

Next step would be to take the hard drive to a shop and see if they can piggyback it to a working system and access it. I am thinking they won't be able to. You might also want to bring the recovery media with you to see if it is indeed a bootable and working media or not.

Then go from there...
Thanx so much for your help.

I heard no hummimg or vibrations from the Hard Drive so I do believe it has failed.

Can I put the Recovery Disc into my laptop to check if it is bootable OR can that damage the laptop?

The DVD Drive appears functional...I can hear it spinning as it reads the recovery disc; but I understand that's not a guarantee it's working correctly either?

Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Thanx so much for your help.

I heard no hummimg or vibrations from the Hard Drive so I do believe it has failed.

Can I put the Recovery Disc into my laptop to check if it is bootable OR can that damage the laptop?

The DVD Drive appears functional...I can hear it spinning as it reads the recovery disc; but I understand that's not a guarantee it's working correctly either?
It should cause any issues if you just simply boot to it but do not have it perform any actions.
That way you can check to see if the recovery media is working or not. You could also download and UBCD I mentioned earlier. It is an awesome "bootable" media that everyone (not just IT techs) should have imho.
You can use it for various tasks, from diagnosing and rectifying a pesky malware infection to simply accessing your filesystem without booting to the drive first. It would also allow you to confirm if the drive is indeed bad and the data is accessible or not.

DVD drive may appear functional but if it hasn't been used in a while it might have collected dust on the inside which could prevent the laser from properly reading the media hence my recommendation of blowing some air from the opening using a compressed air can.

If the PC/DVD drive had endure a sudden shock, it could have damage the laser where it will appear functional (BIOS/Windows will display it), door opens/closes, it spins the CD, etc. but it won't read any media. That is why I suggested using another working computer to check the recovery media.

All recommendations were steps to logically eliminate all possibilities.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It should cause any issues if you just simply boot to it but do not have it perform any actions.
Crap, I left out the "not". Sorry about that.
Anyhow, it should not cause any issues.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Crap, I left out the "not". Sorry about that.
Anyhow, it should not cause any issues.
Thanx again for your help. That goes for you and everyone who spent time & effort trying to help me.

I APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!

I'll check IF recovery disc functions in laptop without clicking any options.

Plus I'll check the bootable drive you mention.

I'm on fixed income at moment but hope to have enough money to call in technician next two weeks.

I will let everyone know what was wrong and hopefully how it got fixed to help posters in the future with any similar problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or