U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 PM

780 posts, read 1,997,461 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I usually do not post in this forum, but I am hoping someone can answer my question.

Recently, the hard drive in my Dell Latitude Laptop crashed. I got the typical blue screen of death, but I am not sure of what specific error caused my it to crash. In any event, my laptop is under warranty and I have since received a new one. This is not the first time this has happened, and I have a HD to USB adapter. The last time this happened on an older computer I simply plugged in my adapter with the HD, hooked up and my computer recognized it much like an external drive. I was able to access my files via windows explorer just fine. However, when I plug in the adapter now, my explorer displays 2 drives, a local disk (E) and a recovery disk (D). When I click on the local disk I get an error message saying the "parameters are not correct" and clicking on the recovery disk, all it displays is an empty folder named "recovery" and a simple notepad file with some sort of file path.

I should add that it is a seagate 320 GB hard drive. I have tried to access these files on several computers and I am getting a similar error on this. The hard drive is not making any clicks or other unusual noises. Just for kicks, I tried the adapter on another hard drive and it opened just fine so the adapter is working. I have some very important work docs that I would like to get off of here. Anyone have a possible solution I can use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:13 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
Instead of double clicking the E drive, try right clicking and choosing explore.

There could also be logical errors on the disk. I would run a chkdsk to see if it can fix them enough to access your files. You'd be surprised how often that works.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:34 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
You may have a corrupt partition, if EC's suggestions don't work you may need to try some type of partition recovery software, success all depends on how far gone the drive is. You might also try running Seagates diagnostic software on it, it has the ability to fix some some common issues like corrupt blocks.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,030,837 times
I agree that chkdsk should be the first thing to try. It's free, and has worked well for me in the past when discs have been unreadable.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM

701 posts, read 994,365 times
Try "Parted Magic". I always have a live CD (and USB stick) of "Parted Magic" lying around, specifically to check the hard drive on old computers donated to me (for charity). Boot up using the live CD or USB, it loads into RAM and it will prompt you to remove the live CD/USB. Then use File Manager to see whether you can browse through your drive/s. You'd be surprised at how useful this utility is on Windows machines even if it is a Linux Distro.

If it can't read the drive, then restart the computer, boot to Windows and use the other Windows specific utilities already suggested to try to recover your files.

I would go with one version back (5.x) from the most current one (6.x), ... just because the latest one may still have some bugs in it. Or be a bit more bloated than the previous version, as a lot of software tend to do over time.

You don't need all the other features this utility has. Just boot it up and see if it can read ("explore") through the old drive/s. You can select specific files, backup the whole drive, even clone it. (Obviously, when copying or backing up files, you'd want to check for virus/malware before doing anything with them.)

And if you like Parted Magic and find it useful, please consider donating to the developer/s to keep it going.

here's more information on Partition Magic:
DistroWatch.com: Parted Magic
Parted Magic: A Complete Hard Drive Toolbox On One Live CD
PartedMagic: A Swiss Army Knife for Hard Drive Resuscitation | Reviews | TechNewsWorld
Parted Magic 6.6 review – the general-purpose recovery distro that can | Linux User
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or